3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Washing Wool  (Read 630 times)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Washing Wool
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
Brought this up for Tiur.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
Talk about good timing!  :thumbsup:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »
I have always hand washed my KOM, but, would wring the garments. I now know better. Thank you.

nick
Let it fly ->>------>

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 12:01:00 AM »
I have never washed my wool -- just dry cleaned it --  if you are worried about scent -- let it hang out in a cool dry place --  no sun-- even a little bit of sun will shrink wool -- depends on how much nylon there is in it    
Some wools are 100 % standard is 85 wool 15 nylon
some are 80/20 dome even 70/30  
Washable wool like cabela's has a lot of nylon in it  
Washing wool ( hard and often ) can destroy it's properties over time  -- it will look used--
A garment you paid alot for should be dry cleaned it will look great and hold up longer
  Filson - Pendelton - Woolrich  -- and other  companies recoment dry cleaning and so do I- hunt down wind --  RT

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
Nice info!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
I agree. Why buy a nice piece of wool and then wash it? And don't say scent. They will small uou anyway.

Offline wulf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
Good post Roger.  I've been washing most of my wool in a similar fashion for years.  But I don't wash anything too often as it's "self cleaning" and seldom needs it.  But when in doubt I'd lean towards the manufacturers cleaning suggestion to preserve whatever warranty it might have.
Member: Compton Traditional Bowhunter

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 04:49:00 AM »
Thanks for the posts and insight.
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2012, 06:25:00 AM »
Why wash when you can "dry" clean?  "Dry" is not really dry, the residual smell, and that the fluid used is a possible carcinogen are reasons enough for me to put a little effort into hand washing my wool garments.  Done as outlined above I’ve yet to wear out any garment by occasional hand washing.

www.cbsnews.com/2100-500195_162-2507444.html
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »
I recall washing my KOM. followed by blocking and air drying outside. They shrank enough that the fit was off. When I bought a set of Sleeping Indian, Ron advised me the best way to clean and maintain them was to dry clean them...just like you would a fine wool suit, top coat or nice sweater. The better you treat wool, the better the fit and fabric condition. I will say that my SI wool was in perfect condition when I sold it several years (and many hunting adventures) later. As for any scent left by dry cleaning, I could hardly notice it. Regardless, I would typically hang and air my wools for a week or two after having them cleaned...just to be safe.

I also visited the Filson website and reviewed the care/cleaning instructions for their wool garments. "Dry Clean Only"

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »
I have washed my wool by hand for over 20yrs.
I do it just about the same as Teresa/Roger.
I have never had a problem with it wearing out or shrinking. My wool is for the woods and this method works like a charm. I have a few very nice(expensive) wool dress shirts that I wear to Church that also get cleaned this way and they are no worse looking than when new.
Be gentle and you will be fine. I also think that wool does not need to be washed as often as cotton or synthetic materials.Once the others materials get a little funk to them it seems they stay funky sometimes. Wool will go to a natural smell with a little washing.
I will always wear wool,
CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
I've got several pieces of Teresa's wool. Gonna have to try this. Good post. Thanks Roger
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline high desert rambler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
i have a ton of wool - pretty much all i wear in winter - i've always bought it oversized and immediately tossed it into the washing machine and a hot dryer... it shrinks, softens and bulks up to provide even greater insulation - and from that point forward you can wash it without worrying about it shrinking anymore.  (just don't use hot water.)  

BUT, that's only gonna' work if you have a good, tight weave... otherwise it can shrink too much... i've done this a bunch of woolrich shirts and jac-shirts, even did it with my filson vests and a mackinaw coat (no - NOT the double mackinaw i have for sale!)... a real tight weave like that doesn't shrink much at all...

of course, you never know what's gonna' happen with an individual piece of wool... so if you want to do this, i would measure the garment first and then pull it out of the dryer every 5-10 minutes to make sure it hasn't shrunk too much... but i've never ruined one... works for me, anyway...

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
TTT for xlefty

G. Fred Asbell

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
Roger, thanks for bringing this back up.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2013, 07:40:00 AM »
TTT

G. Fred Asbell

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2013, 08:02:00 AM »
I tried something new with mine a few days back.  Just threw it all in the Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom.  Just had to keep my hand over the intake so nothing stuck to it.  Worked like a charm and was shocked at the about of dirt that came out.  Key to the system is finishing before the wife gets home from work!   :)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »
Brad,

You see the St. Jude Gator hunt thread? I guess keeping an iced dead gator in your Jacuzzi tub wouldn't fly at your house either, huh?    :scared:    :knothead:    :rolleyes:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
I purchased my first KOM Bushman shirt in 1993, and as with all my wool, I always washed it with baking soda and by hand. I would wash the shirt as indicated in the original post or I would "spot" wash localized dirty areas of the shirt, and hang the shirt outside to air-dry.

Speed up twenty years to today, my son still wears that KOM Bushman as seen in my Avatar.
"Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
how not to make wool shrink--   I have many only wool shirts-- they never shrunk -- I just got bigger !!!  
If you are lets say younger--  an old addage a
 pound a year after 40 --  when I was 40 I weighted 170   not  65    
So if you are lets say --  35  -- and you are a  large  - want to WEAR IT for 10 years -- by XL want it for 20 ++   buy XXL --  
Most wool does not shrink--  we just out grown them-- that is why there is so  much wool on ****.
Washing wool, if you wash it will not look the same-- dry clean and it will look good-- worried about smell-    let it hang outside -  
If you look at resent prices of a company like Filson- if you pay TOP Dollar --  spend the  money to take care of it--  
If you google wool prices and cotton prices - you will see why-- I try to keep my prices resonable--  my advise-  buy it now - it isn't coming down ---   www.classissportsman.com  or  www.classicbowman.com
my track record on product 0 returns --    :) )
OK  not true-   the guy who washed his shirt it  shrunk - I did send him a new shirt - he did say the shirt got bloodied - thats good-- next time dry clean-- -- as for price and quality --  0 returns .
Will post on Wool pants --  by custom order for now  Thanks     Stay warm my friends--   Rob T

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©