3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Buyer's market?  (Read 432 times)

Offline Lippe

• Trad Bowhunter
Buyer's market?
« on: October 31, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
There's a lot of great bows for sale at bargain prices out there. I've been trying to sell/trade a few the last few months with no success, so I guess I'm too picky or asking too much. Have we flooded the market, is there not enough new trad shooters, or is the economy just that bad? I'd like to get down to 3-4 bows, but am not willing to sell a like-new bow for 50% of what I paid. I've been tempted many times by ads, but have decided that I'll not buy another without getting rid of one. What do ya'll think?
Lippe

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Buyer's market?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
It's the economy and its been like this for well over a year..also some "name brands" are still gonna bring more than others. I feel your pain! That's one reason I've started trading more rather than buying and selling.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
I think it's less disposable income.  We all have enough bows, but that used to not stop us.  lol
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
Yes, I agree its the bad economy. People just don't have the money to spend even though the price is often great. Still a lot of guys not working regularly.
Sam

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
I bought a bunch of used bows from the classifieds over the last year or so up until about August.
We bought a new house and have moved which is crazy expensive.  So, its less disposable income for me right now.
There are a couple of bows I would jump at right now, but those specific ones don't seem to come up for sale very often.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
Like I tell my wife when she tells me about the great sale going on at the clothing,shoe, furniture...etc store - " I can't afford to save that much"
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
You may not want to sell a bow at 50% of what you paid.....But, don't think your going to get even near what you paid if you bought it new. When your close to new price, if there isn't a long wait, Most guys and gals will just add some cash and get new at their exact specs. I have been very fortunate to have sold a bunch of bows here on the classifieds....bought a few also....lol! I did it buy asking a fair price including shipping. Used is used....price it fair and it will sell!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 01:33:00 AM »
I feel you...
Its easier to buy then to sell.
Just think though, what is a more durable value? It's like an investment when you get a bow.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 01:40:00 AM »
Yep definetly a buyers market.  I ease the pain from the beatings I've been taking selling recently by picking up great deals on fairly rare bows.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 06:05:00 AM »
The bow market is just like the housing market.  People are not buying when they are uncertain of the economy...less fun money to play with.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 07:56:00 AM »
I haven't bought a bow in three years or more.  Have made several though.  Depending on how much I want to penny pinch, I can hunt with a full tackle kit for $30-40 for the season these days.  Bow, string, shafts, heads... Most of that is in the heads.  

There are a lot of great bows out there, but not a lot of expendable cash to get them.  Making stuff is fun anyway.
Silence is golden.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
when I sell bows I dont really try to get all my money back Iam glad to get 50-65 percent back I useally want to unload my goods an move on to the next bow. there is barley a profit for the new bowyer just ask them, every once in a while I will make a real good profit.that is why I try to deal an shoot high end bows at good weights 45-55 lbs there resale is easyier.you will never be happy with resale most of the time unless you just accept loss ,sell the bows git the money or keep them, there arnt many other choices.good luck

Offline Lippe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
I was trying to sell a 3 month old bow (basically new) for 80% of cost. If someone was thinking of buying one of these bows, you'd think he'd jump at saving $150. I'm thinking the demand is just not there along with a poor economy.
Lippe

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
I have said it before, and I will say it again:  Poverty Sucks!!   :(    :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
But the economy is all better now. The political ads all say so.    :readit:
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
Everybody is different, Like I said above, if the difference is $150 between a used bow and a new one I'll go the $150 and get exactly what I want. If it's $250 I'll bite just to try something different knowing that I'll get most of my investment back. I think right now don't be in a hurry to sell, sit back and it will sell down the road.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
I agree that is is the economy, but in my case there is really not anything out there right now that I want.

Offline longrifle346

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
I believe it's a combination of both the economy and the election. Regardless, it's hit my business pretty hard. I put my High Sierra for sale, it was just a few pounds heavier than what I like. I thought that a like new, quality bow like that would move quickly no matter what the economy was doing and especially at 65-70% of the new bow price without the wait....not so. I had a few trade offers but not really what I wanted to replace it. I decided to just shoot the bow and work my way up into it.
If you find yourself in a fair fight? Your tactics suck!

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
"Disposable income" - is that like money you don't need/want? I always get a kick out of that term.

The trouble with wanting top dollar from an almost new bow, in my view, is that most buyers want a "used" bow to be a real deal. 15-20% off isn't enough. And in todays' economic climate, it pretty well has to be a steal. Unless it's too special, like a one piece Silvertip or some other rarity.
I have a couple I'm going to put up and plan to take a beating and move on. Or I'll be getting what they're actually worth. Sometimes hard to tell.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »
If u are a glass half full person - it is a great time to buy and try some bows!
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©