3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Serious treestand question  (Read 385 times)

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
Serious treestand question
« on: November 01, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
I'm headed to Kansas on Sunday for my first archery whitetail hunt. I'm told I will be in a treestand. I don't hunt out of treestands here in New Mexico. So as a newbie what do you guys do while in the treestand? Anybody read? Do I just sit there? I figure I need a pee bottle. What else?

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Serious treestand question
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
Just don't walk to far.    :laughing:

Sit (or stand) and scan, scan, scan. You can see a lot farther in the tree and see the deer coming. If your not used to shooting from up high, practice a bit before you go.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Jake LaBauve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
Stay still as possible, I like a book as my iphone drains battery too fast.  Just if you do read go through the steps and figure out where the book is going before the shot presents itself.  Don't want to ruin a moment because of too much movement.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
Pee out of the tree. It's fun.

Reading is good as long as the book is small. A small pair of binos is handy as well.

Bend at the waist when you shoot.

Dress warm....it's windy in the trees.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
If you're there all day, bring a snack and something warm to drink.

Dress warmly, especially the feet and hands.

Any movement should be slow and deliberate.

This is time for the rut, so expect activity at anytime.
Lon Scott

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
personally I don't climb a tree to read, I am there to hunt, things can happen quick if your not paying attention it can be to late. I personally still use the Pee bottle, brought up being taught you don't pee around your stand and still won't.
x2 on the binos, a snack and a drink can be good if you are sitting long, I like a pack with an extra jacket or wool shirt.
good luck, trees are fun.
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
Oh yea, a safety harness is a good idea.
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
Hey Eric! Carry a couple of screw in hangers..one to hang your pack and one to hang your bow.  Look at the extended forecast to determine if you need to take rainwear or extra clothes. If it is gonna be an all day sit or a 4 or 5 hour sit, carry stuff to munch on..peanuts, trail mix, etc and a bottle or two of water. Carry binoculars. If you read or get on tradgang on your I phone, read a half page and then scan around you slowly. Carry a safety harness and a pull rope for your bow. When you get set up with your harness on, draw your bow back in every direction you will be able to shoot. That will let you know if you have limb clearance, etc. Carry some hand snippers and a little handsaw if you have it to do any pruning up in the tree after you get set up. Imagine where your arrow is gonna exit on the deer and aim accordingly. Take a small camera for the hero pics you are going to post when you get back!
Good luck to you!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
Thanks Randy, Marley or no Marley! LOL

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
I always like to carry an arrow with a judo point and after I'm set check to make sure no deer are around and take a shoot to make sure all is good.  Like others said, practice shooting from a stand if possible, things are different up there.  Bend at the waist!  Happy hunting.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
When I'm in a tree I just sit there, ponder life, solve all the world's problems, dream of past hunts, and stand up and wizz when I have to.

Oh, and I keep an eye out for deer too.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
x2 on the tree steps although I use rope on's, also make sure you have a harness.  I shoot from my kids tree house deck to get ready, it works great and means I don't have to climb up and down in my climber over and over again!
That's why they call it hunting....

No Name 50# at 28" (maybe Ben Pearson)
'69 Bear Grizzly 40# at 28"
Great Plains Wolf Creek  50# at 28" one piece
Fruit of the Loom Size Large

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
Every thing above is great advise I also take along a peice of carpet and zip ty it to the plat form for 2 resons 1 it keeps stuff from falling threw the great and making noise 2 if it turns off cold in the mornings or eveings it helps keep your feet from getting so cold sounds silly but it works

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
Rastaman covered a lot of good stuff, so pay close attention. The only thing I can emphasize is don't fidget. Don't make unecessary movements, and be very slow and cautious if you do have to move around.
Sam

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by TxAg:
Pee out of the tree. It's fun.
I completely support this statement    :laughing:
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
x3 pee out of the tree, i will not bother them
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
Walk around on the stand to make sure it "settles" and that you are aware of any potential for noise.  Practice standing and manipulating the seat if it folds up.  Make sure this can be done quietly.  Take your own safety harness and make sure you are familiar with how to use it in a way that does not restrict you from drawing and shooting.  Screw in hangers are a good idea for your gear.  Binoculars are a plus.  I situate my pack (haversack actually) so that I can instantly drop my phone, grunt call, camera, or whatever I may have in my hand into it at a moment's notice.  I very rarely hang my bow on a hanger unless I am in VERY good cover.  Stand up as soon as you see a deer.  Pee out of the tree.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
Take a thermos of coffee and you can pee all morning. I too pee out of the tree and have not had any problems with it. Had deer come thru and smell of it and not spook.

I do love the coffee on those cold mornings. The coffee mixed with a sighting every so often can keep you up there till noon. I usually pull out about 11am though, rut or no rut it does not hurt to get a 2-3 hour break in.

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
I have to admit I didn't think peeing out of the tree was acceptable. You guys might have just saved my water bottle!

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
I have to admit I didn't think peeing out of the tree was acceptable. You guys might have just saved my water bottle!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©