3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Serious treestand question  (Read 386 times)

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Serious treestand question
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
Speaking for myself, what I do in a treestand is sit there and wonder whether I ought to be in a different tree - like 50 yards away or something. Which is why I sneak around on the ground a lot.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
PEE OUTTA THE TREE!

Ask how high you'll be.
Then PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE from that height.

Wear your harness!
Very nice to have some sort of bow and quiver hanger.

Once you get in the stand try a few practice draws in different directions. Learn where possible hangups are. be weary of your limb tip's positions.

When you do this go through the whole deal.
from sitting-grabbing your bow-standing-drawing-shooting.

maybe even an actual practice shot.

When you're practicing, take notice if any moves make creaking or squeaking noises.

Check the straps or whatever holds the stand and or ladder. Make sure things are safe.

Again..WEAR YOUR HARNESS!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
Like you've been told it's all about being safe,wear you harness at all times,enjoy your hunt.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
When you shoot from a tree the shot always looks to be longer away than it is so aim a bit lower.  You get a lot colder in a tree so dress for it.  Don't bring a book unless you can't sit still.  Don't bring binos because if you need them to see the deer it's too far away to shoot anyway.  Don't bring crinkly snack bags.  Don't move more than absolutely necessary and avoid the neck swivel thing, move your head very slowly when you look around.  

You'll be surprised how much fun you can have in a stand if you give it a chance.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
unfortunately....I spend a not insignificant time working from my treestand!   damn smartphones.  lol.   I run a tech support call center and not a day passes that I don't get a text, email, or call asking "wheres this..." or "How do you get this to work..." or "I can't figure this out..."   :(

the rest of the time I spend in a constant struggle with my psyche.  goes something like this...."You should call now!"  no..."how 'bout a rattling sequence"  No...."just a quick bleat"  NO!   lol
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
Yep, the first time you go to sit down on that little seat, and you feel like your butt is going to push you out of the tree, and there is no way to go but down, remember I should have practiced more...... (my 2cents) dont ask how I know this....  :eek:
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Put a small can of spray Pam in your kit. Use it to quiet any squaeks that develop. Pam won't spook deer like WD-40, etc.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©