3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Leaving Saturday With Mixed Feelings  (Read 331 times)

Offline FBB

• Trad Bowhunter
Leaving Saturday With Mixed Feelings
« on: November 01, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
My brother and I are leaving Saturday for Missouri but I had my German Shorthair put down today after having him for over 16 years. So to say the least I have mixed emotions and would rather stay here at home. Not sure if I'm going to be into the hunt but we're leaving anyway.

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Leaving Saturday With Mixed Feelings
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
Sorry to hear it. Very difficult to deal with. Hope you are able to heal up some in the woods.
JD
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
We had to put our dog down recently. I know it's tough. She was a really good dog. You just have to remember if you had to put her down, it was for the best. It's no life for them to suffer.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
I am sorry to hear about it. I got a puppy when I was 5 years old. She died when I was 18, and I cried like a baby. I still fondly think about that dog (I'm 63 now), and before long, when you think of your dog, it will be to remember the fun he brought you rather than the pain of loss you feel now. Go on your hunt and remember the human heart can embrace pain on one hand and still appreciate joy on the other.
Sam

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
Sorry for your loss.  Dog lovers understand how hard of a time it really is.

Offline FBB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
Thank you everyone. I know some day I will smile when I think of him instead of cry but that day seems to be far off right now.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
Going on that trip might be just the thing you need.  Being down and feeling down.  Will keep you down.  Get something positive going. And stay in that mode.  We are all very sorry for your loss. It's never, ever easy. You still have those great memories. They arent going anywhere. Pick it up buddy!! Go do something fun.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
Sitting around won't help you. Go hunt, and think of all the good times with your dog.Smell the smells for him, look at all the sights for him, and thank him for all those cherished years.Notice everything, just as he would. What better way to honor him than be out there thinking of him!
David M. Conroy

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
Hunt as if he was with you....
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
my German Shorthair is 13 and is showing his age so I know that day will be coming.  My last German Shorthair was at 16 when we had to pur her down but it was for the best.  I have had to put down other companions over the years and it never gets any easier.  Keep him in good thoughts and you will get through this eventually.  It is true that time does heal.

Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
Sorry to hear it. Take that fine dog along with you in your memories and do not hold the emotions back.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
It really cuts deep when they go, after all they do become a major part of the family, they''re like.a kid that never grows up. I am sure you have many memories of all the stuff he got himself into, and that is what you have to concentrate on now.

Go hunting, he would want that.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Sixgun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
My condolences on the loss of your dog. I was heartbroken when mine passed. Time is making it better. I'm positive it will be the same for you.

Ray
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be . . . time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there.

Fred Bear

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
It is always hard to lose a dog and 16 years is a good run for a shorthair. Hunt in Mo. with your memories of him in the field.
I had to put down my golden retriever at 16+ years this year so I know how tough this can be....

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
My condolences on losing a family member. Your dog would want you to go and have the best hunt you can. Love the memory and go hunt!

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
Make the trip for him!!

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 11:42:00 PM »
David,

Says a lot about the type of person you are.  I'm not sure I can trust someone who doesn't like dogs  :)

If we didn't feel pain at the loss of their company than they didn't mean much to us after all.  I would say the pain you have now is a wonderful indicator of the quality of relationship you had.  As difficult as it is to pick yourself and have fun I do believe it's the right thing to do.

What is the old saying about "do not cry for me as I am not here...I am the wind...I am the sun on your back.  

You were fortunate to have your companion for that long.  Savor those memories and realize how lucky you were. Great dogs add to our lives.

Thoughts are with you.

Chris

P.S. Where in Missouri are you headed?
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Panzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »
Sorry for your loss. My next dog will be a GSP.

Offline FBB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
Those Shorthair's can get to you... if they don't drive you crazy first.Thank you everyone. Dave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©