3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wow, Saw some neat broadheads  (Read 561 times)

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
Wow, Saw some neat broadheads
« on: August 14, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »
I stopped at an older man's house who has been shooting since the 50's and he had some broadheads that I had never seen before.  Perhaps someone knows something about them and can give me some info.

He had some Lafonds 4 blade broadheads made of clock spring steel in the box they came in.

He had some Hill hornets???

He had a whole bag of King of the forest heads? He said they were made better than the Zwickey's.

He had some butte??? somethings that were long four blade design with about and 1 1/2 inch diameter.

The guy was great and was going to point me to where he hunts for his elk, but can't anymore due to 12 back surgeries.  Anyway, any information is appreciated.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wow, Saw some neat broadheads
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
Oh, Faaaaaaalllllllkkkkkk!!!
No, I am not swearing. I am calling Falk. He's a long way away.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 08:55:00 PM »
LOL Killdeer, thank you.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
Beat me to it Killdear, just where is our resident.

Brent

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 09:03:00 PM »
Hey there neighbor! I'm back from vacation and got my shop just about ready for bow building again. I should have some stuff in the works by the end of the week......I don't know a dad burn thing about old broad heads, but the invite to see my shop is still open.....Let me know when you want to come bye....I'll pm you my cell # if you want it....Kirk

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »
I used to love those Lafond's....still have a bunch of them. They would take and hold an edge better than most bhs of the time. Wish I could tell you more about them. I was pretty much a kid and then they were off the market after a while. All I know is that I liked them and they shot straight and were deadly...can't remember ever loosing an animal I shot with one.

Hills Hornets were, as I remember them, a fairly soft metal 3 blade. I never could get them very sharp so never held on to any that I had.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
Hmmm, He said the Lafonds were nearly unbreakable.

The hills looked like a four blade.  Similar to the two blade with "wings" a little bigger than zwickeys.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
David..it is great fun to talk with the old timers.  The things they did and saw are priceless.  Just remember, those times were different than "our times" right now and some things were done differently.    

There were a TON of different broadheds available over the years.  If you are interested in researching many of them, a gentleman named Wade Philips put together several textbooks about them.  Pretty interesting stuff.  Full size pictures and good info.  They are not cheap...but they used to be available on ..that bidding site.    

Cliff Zwickey supposedly was making broadheads in the late 1930's and the company still makes great heads today.  At one time Fred Bear contracted Zwickey to make broadheads for him. He killed his first moose with one. Zwickey's early broadheads were black and that gave the name "black diamond".

Your description of the "Butte" broadhead was not enough to know for sure.  There was a series of heads called "Butterfield Brutes" which I happen to really think highly of.  Unfortunately they are not readily available anymore.  

Hills Hornets, as I recall came in a three blade and a two blade version.  Don't see any reference to a four blade version.  If you have a camera and visit the gentleman again, please take photos and I am CERTAIN, that some one here will be able to tell you about the heads.    There are a number on the site that actively collect old heads and are a treasure trove of knowledge.

Have fun and explore !
ChuckC

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 01:37:00 AM »
Butterfield Brutes is what he called them. I couldn't remember.  He said they were what he killed most of his elk with.  BIG heads.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline B M A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 03:29:00 AM »
dposalski-  The guy you visited is one neat guy.  A friend and I were at his place on Sunday.  We bought a recurve form, hot box along with a bunch of lams from him along with some other stuff.
He was great to visit with.  Alot of great stories. Did you see his den with his trophies.  
If your up my way stop by.  You can find my address at bullmtnarchery.com
Brock

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
Brock, you beat me to all that stuff, LOL.  I will come and see you.  I did walk through his den.  What a Man Cave.... He offered to go over a map and show me where he gets his elk.  Great guy.  

I look forward to meeting you...
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
Butterfield Brutes ...I have some of them somewhere...formidable looking heads...in my several recent moves they got stuck in something..I'll have to look for them.

I killed a couple deer with them...short blood trails...but just moved away from them because I couldn't get them reliably. (pre- EXXX)
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »
Killy - I hear you    :wavey:    

I like LaFonds too     :)    
I have several of the mentioned 4-bld clock spring steel versions, but before that 'Ole' LaFond made even better 2-bld heads (IMO) - spot welded and brazed. They were called "Lightning" as were the later 4-blds. From the 2-blds he also made his eye catching "Lightning Ripper" - see pics below:

I also like the Butterfield "Brute"     :)     In fact, if they were still available I would want them for actual hunting. Searched my already uploaded pics and here is one I found with a Butterfield (stainless!) in the top right corner:

... to be continued!

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
Did I tell you that I like the Fleetwood "King of the Forest" (middle) and specially the "Deerslayer" (right) also?!  :)  

The single layer cutting edge is a nice design IMO. I doubt they were tougher then Zwickeys though.

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
Falk,  thank you for your input.  This guy had a ton of these broadheads.  Probably 100 King of the Forests, 20 of the LaFonds, and 10 of the Brutes.

Which ones should I buy and use from him?  I think I will go get some from him for future use.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
Hills Hornets were made as 2-blds too. Their tips would curl or bent easily I suppose. All others were 3-blds though. Small ones and bigger cutting diameters - all by the same construction. I have at least 16 different types in my collection and pictured for your admiration one "Target" head (copper plated) - use for tournaments(!) - one small and one big broadhead. I think, by todays standards HillHornets would qualify as small game heads only.

The books from Wade Phillips are a "must have" for any serious broadhead collector    :readit:    :notworthy:  

Falk

Ah - BTW: For comparison I put a 1956 Bear Razorhead alongside the others ...

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
David, just saw your last post ...

I've no idea of your setup, but have some doubts about penetration with the 4-bld LaFonds. Quite a bit of BH to drive through "something". The Brute should be the most solid. And the King of the Forest is at least worth a try ...

My answer will have to be: Get them ALL - of course  ;)  ... and don't forget to send me some!

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
I am going to go and get a few from him and take some pics because I am not sure what he named them is accurate based on your pics.  So when I do, maybe tonight, I will get those posted.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
You might be interested to know the four blade La Fonds is going back into production. I spoke to the new owner at the ABCC meeting at Compton. He has purchased the dies and etc. and will be making them in the future.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
If the price is right, I would sure like to acquire one of the Brutes to kill a deer with.  I have one in new condition that I am keeping for the wall (small collection).  I would like to find one or a couple, even used, that are in hunting shape.
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©