3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer carts are handy  (Read 603 times)

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Deer carts are handy
« on: November 03, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
Last weekend I was finally able to get away to hunt somewhere beside around my house. I have a farm I have had permission to hunt for years but it is 3 hours away, so I am not able to get there as often as I used to with fuel costs being what they are. I rolled in there and was in the woods with my stand hung and hunting by 4. This is a view from my stand.

An hour later I spotted my first deer. A 10 point buck crossing the creek about 80 or 90 yards away. I tried grunting and rattled a bit but he was not interested. About 30 minutes before dark I saw 3 does cross the creek in a different spot and passed by to my left about 50 yards. Looking at where they have traveled and looking over my stand setup I decide to move my stand. So at dark I took it down and over to another tree.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer carts are handy
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
:campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
That just looks like a good spot.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
The stand I was using the evening before would not work on this new tree, so I came in early Sat morning with my old favorite loc on and got it set on the tree. 5 minutes after I was settled in and it was beginning to lighten up, I saw a spot that had not been there before. It was a deer ambling straight for me. At 18 yards as light got better I saw am glimpse of small antlers. We have a 4 point antler restriction in this area so this spike with 5" antlers was off limits. He nosed around a bit and then wandered off back the way he came. 15 minutes later there is a doe and fawn crossing and heading off the same way.
About an hour after light I see 2 does and 2 yearling coming toward me. As they make their way past me toward the right I take my shot at the lead doe. The arrow zips right through her at good height but I think it is a bit back. She runs about 25 yards and just stands there. the othere deer are confused and don't know what happened or what to do. Eventually the second doe starts to walk through the same spot and I take a shot at her while keeping one eye peeled on the first deer who is definitely hurt and not inclined to move. My shot goes a hair low and nicks a branch before sticking in the ground between the legs of the deer. At this the 3 deer then reverse direction and leave. The doe I had shot very slowly walks about anothere 15-20 feet and stands there unsteady. As I watched thru the binoculars I watche her sway back and forth and then go down. I watch her for a while then sneak down and check to make sure she is dead and grab my arrows and back into the stand.

PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Well done!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
I sit back down in the stand and sharpen my broadheads while keeping watch. 20 minutes later here comes 2 yearlings. They come by and go thru the same spot I just shot the doe.
That makes 9 deer I've seen so far and it is only 8:30. About 9:00 i look up and see movement by the tree I had the stand in the evening before. Then I see more movement and more. There are 9 deer standing over there 70 yeards away. All does. After milling around for a couple minutes 5 does move off to the right and walk 20 feet from the dead doe lying there in the weeds. The 4 deer left then start coming toward me. They are going to walk right past me at 10 yards on my left. Afraid to take a shot at the first 2 for fear of being picked up by the last 2, I finally see the 3rd one give me a good angle. I draw and shoot thru a hole in the many branches on that side. Due to worrying about the branches I do not pick a spot at all and shoot over her back. She jumps backward a couple bounds and stands there but with a poor angle presenting no shot. #4 doe is anothere story. She is in the wide open at 20 yards. I draw and concentrate on this shot and watch as she goes 50 yards at a dead run and goes down hard. I finaly decide it is ok to breathe again and take a deep breath in amazement. A first for me. 2 deer in the same morning from the same stand.

PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
Unreal........Looks like the freezer will be working hard.....lol!

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
While I am sitting there counting my blessings, I watch 2 more deer cross 60 yards to the north. What an amazing morning. I've seen 20 deer out of my stand and it isn't 9:30 yet. After a bit, I figure it is time to get to work.

This is where the deer cart really comes in handy. It makes the 400 yards to where I can get the truck much easier, even though it was still a bit of work.

PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
Well done! Congrats!

Offline Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
Congrats !!!!!!
Very nice!!!
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
dang, had to shoot your way out of there! you wont be forgetting that morning.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
Well done.    :archer:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
As said above well done sir , Congrats sir....
,,Sam,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
Congrats. And the deer carts are awesome. I have hauled out two at once a couple of times. Not easy, but dang sure easier than it would be without the cart.

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
That's cool to get 2 deer in one sit.

Congrats on a fine morning in the woods.

Bisch

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
Congratulations dnovo, that is a full cart.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
Congrats on your deer(s).

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter