3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another interesting penetration/torture test.  (Read 150 times)

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Another interesting penetration/torture test.
« on: November 03, 2012, 11:58:00 PM »
I have done some penetration testing of my own on some pretty thick bone and other inanimate objects. The bone I tested was skulls from Whitetails right in the thickest portion of the skull where the antlers come out. From my testing every single bevel I shot into the skull either broke or bent right at the end of the ferrule. I noted after looking over the heads that in every instance the damage appeared to be inlicted by an extreme amount of force being applied to the head while it is rotating through the bone. The other major problem was edge retention in that almost every time the edges were rulled severely thus dulling the head. To compare these results to a different broadhead I tested the VPA 175 grain 3 blade. Every head busted through the bone with a 0% damage rate(no tips curled or nicks in the edge at all and they all spun true after testing, in fact most of them would still cut but not shave hair after being shot into the bone. The inanimate object tested was 1x4's The results were very similar. There was not quite as high of a damage rate to the single bevel two blades, and the performance of the three blades were just as good as in the first test. Please keep in mind that this testing was done with a 650 grain arrow out of a 55# bow. Both arrow setups were tuned perfectly and showed flawless flight. I by no means wish to take away anything from single bevels or two blades in general. However after this testing I was left a believer that structural integrity is far more important to penetration than the type of bevel or number of blades your broadheads have. I am a firm believer in my 3 blades and have seen first hand and through some of Andy Ivy's post their effectiveness at penetrating heavy bone.
James Kerr

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another interesting penetration/torture test.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »
I've been shooting simmons,never did any torture test. I've never quite seen the fascination with the single bevel,but that's just me. Only three blade i've ever shot is the razorcaps,they don't look that tough,but they will get through a deer and fly really good.

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 09:10:00 AM »
Structural integrity is one of the major factors Ashby lists in his reports - I believe he puts a higher priority on it than the single bevel.

A lot of the things from those reports that get talked about the most are not the low hanging fruit - like good arrow flight,broadhead/arrow structural integrity, broadhead sharpness and heavier arrows. I'm trying to get these things down before going any further (if I even need to).

I don't think that the ashby testing has looked at solid 3-blades like the VPA yet - only vented versions, which will obviously be more prone to damage or 'swaging' of the blades. The VPAs seem like the premier 3 blade from what I see on here.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
Been shooting Snuffers since 1976 , see no reason to change. I shoot thru all critters that i have shot.  :dunno:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©