3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ptarmigan quest  (Read 257 times)

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
ptarmigan quest
« on: November 04, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
Had a wild hair to get some ptarmigan yesterday.  You really have to hunt for them in this area of the State, and the flocks are usually in the single digits to teens, rather than hundreds elsewhere.  But we do have the whitetail ptarmigan, my favorite of the 3 species (willow, rock, and whitetail).

The whitetails are the smallest by far, and their feathers are pretty much completely white in winter.  And they occur at the highest elevations also, I have only found them well above treeline.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ptarmigan quest
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
And speaking of wild hares, I ran into this guy sunning himself while I was sweating my way to the top.  Wasn't keen on shooting him for whatever reason,and it didn't matter anyway as he took off after I snapped a few pics of him.

"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
Took a couple hours to top-out.  Then slowed down and starting sneaking and peeking in and around the rocks.  Some sign here and there, tracks, and vacant little snow holes that they spend the night in.
Here's a pic of one and some tracks on the right.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
After a bit I spotted a group of 5 or so.  As I got closer they all flushed but one, sometimes they do that.  I followed him over hill and dale and finally got close enough to hit him with a rubber blunt.  Pretty little birds.

And there was more daylight left so I climbed back up to where I'd first spotted this one and started roving again.   :campfire:  

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
Very nice. Looks like a fun day.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Cool! There are not any of those birds around these parts. Looks like a fun day with a bit of a tasty result.

Congrats,

Bisch

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
Hey thanks guys.  The day sure fit the bill.

So I got on top again and thought maybe I'd glass a little bit, not so much for birds but the bear seasons were still open (black and brown), and there was a very outside chance that there would be one here.

Didn't see any bears but gosh a real nice high country bull moose.  Maybe 1/2 mile away.  He was safe from me as the season closed six weeks ago, but I can still shoot him with my camera.

and another.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
WOW!

Enjoy Alaska, as you well are....

I miss it immensely.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
Well Bud I hope the pics help with that.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
Started moving on again.  A little of what it's like. The rocks and hard ground are part of the reason I use rubber blunts for them here.

Dropped lower and was looking back under some of the cliffs I had been on top of and spotted a few more birds.  They had been right under me but obscured by the rocks below me.

Can you see them ? lol

Ok this will help,zoomed way in, look close and you can see a few.

Got back on top & out of sight, snuck to within 30-some yards.  But they flushed when they saw me (all of them), no shot.  They flew into the distance around the corner, and I called it a day.  Great time.  :campfire:

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  A great day.  Nice looking Widow too!
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline paul87250

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing your day out, its alot different from where I hunt.   :campfire:
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28"

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
Nice, thanks for sharing.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
When I was in Newfoundland, there were ptarmigan-all white-(whitetail?) all over the tundra. I was excited and figured I would take a suppers worth with ease to bring back to the cabin. Man,  I never got even one! Try as I did, they would out maneuver me every time. I lost a lot of arrows in that gnarly mess. Good times!
Thanks for sharing, brought back some grand memories for me!
David M. Conroy

Offline Ryman Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
We are all blessed to see your pictures what scenery let alone being in it. Lord blessed you.

Offline Alaskantransplant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
Thanks Chinook907, the pics brought back a ton of memories for me. Not many ptarmigan here in the northern plains. Boy I sure miss a day spent chasing them and grouse. Not sure if your pics took away a little homesickness or made it worse! Either way, thanks for sharing and I'm glad you had an awesome day living life in The Great Land.
Diamondback Custom Venom Longbow 62”43#@28”

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
Good pics and good times.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©