3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Static v/s Standard Recurve Limbs  (Read 350 times)

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
Static v/s Standard Recurve Limbs
« on: November 04, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
What the main difference besides the looks?Are static as quiet,faster,or smoother?Any input would be appreciated.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Static v/s Standard Recurve Limbs
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
I owned a pair of Dryad Epic limbs which were very nice limbs, guiet and relatively fast. These aren't Dryad's premium limbs so I wouldn't expect them to be faster than premium standard recurve limbs. They are very smooth drawing.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
I owned a RER with static tips. It had to be the best performing bow I have ever shot for that given weight.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
I had a Dryad Orion with static tips and it zipped an arrow and did it very quietly. It also had an extremely smooth draw. Nice bow.
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
The question you are asking is very much asking if a sports car is as quiet,faster,or smoother than a roadster bro.... depends on what's under the hood, how well the suspension is designed, and what kind of mufflers are on it....

They do have the potential to be the fastest trad bow in the world, and may very well be now.

The cool part about a static tip bow is that you can build a very short bow with the same string angle as a much longer one allowing guys with longer draw lengths to enjoy a shorter bow without the finger pinch.

The static tips act like levers and the energy is stored in a much shorter working portion of the limb than a working recurve. that's what gives it potential to be very high in performance.

From a bowyer's perspective they are one of the trickiest ones to build with excellent stability.... trust me on that one...   :archer2:    :archer2:    :archer2:

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 02:46:00 AM »
I have an Orion and an RER with static tips and have had many recurves with working limb tips. From my experience I can say they do add performance and are most definitely quieter than working limbs. My Orion is as quiet as any longbow I have shot. I like the fact that they are very short, nice in a blind. And as Kirk says, there is no finger pinch with this type of limb. I doubt that I would ever go back to a recurve without static tips.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 05:08:00 AM »
Like Kirk said it's what's under the hood ..Kind of like having A Turbo charged Diesel truck or instead of a v6 you have a "Hemi"... Lots of extra Horsepower and if you ever tried one you would do this   :deadhorse:  to some of your other bows...

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys.Very helpful.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
I recently got my hands on a pair of Bob Morrison's new Max I limbs. They are simply great. The ones I Iike the best are his Supershorts on my DAS riser (I really like short bows). It makes a 56" bow that is smooth as silk, fast, very quiet and extremely stable. It has a radical recurve which some see as a static tip. At my 28" or so draw length there is absolutely no finger pinch and the limbs are as quiet as a church mouse. Most importantly they absolutely shoot where I Iook better than any ILF limb I have shot to date. Since these limbs are so new to the market I wanted to give them a shout out as many don't even know they exist. Just so you guys know, they are a carbon limb with  foam cores.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
Charles,
Here's an old blog post that I wrote comparing a Dynamic Stalker to a Static Stalker.  It's just a "copy & paste"

"Although I’ve shot a few “static” tipped recurves in the past, I’ve primarily shot “dynamic” tipped recurves.  I’m not a bowyer, nor do I claim to be an expert on bow designs.  What I can do is give opinions, theories and personal data based on my experience.

How can I best describe a Static Stalker?  Take for example a reflex-deflex longbow, now just add some curve to the limb tips.  So what’s the benefits?  In most cases reflex-deflex longbow limbs are stable, quiet, smooth drawing and have little to no hand shock.  Now if built correctly, a static tipped recurve could have all of these benefits plus a little more speed due to the curved tips that should add a little more preload which in turn may add to stored energy. In essence, you’ve built the “perfect” recurve, if there’s such a thing. LOL!  But, if not built correctly, you could have a very unstable limb design with little to no benefits.  Additionally if the design is too radical, you may be wrestling with your bow to get it strung.

DYNAMIC LIMBS AT BRACE

DYNAMIC LIMBS AT FULL DRAW

STATIC LIMBS AT BRACE

STATIC LIMBS AT FULL DRAW

I think that we can safely say that not all bows are created equal and it would be highly unfair to compare “apples to oranges”.  So for this collection of data, I compared a 56″ Static Stalker Recurve to an Original Stalker Recurve.  Both bows had the same fourteen strand 8125 string with 22 strands in the pads.  The silencers on both strings were of the same material and set equidistance apart. Each bow was set at a brace of 7 3/8″.

The first thing that Craig and I did was to double check the poundage of the two bows.  The Original Stalker scaled at 52 @ 26" while the Static scaled at 53 @ 26". The Original Stalker was built at 53# but lost a pound over the years due to my abuse.  .  Although a pound in difference, I felt that we would be able to make a fair assessment of the two bows.

Secondly, we compared the begining and end feel.  First we scaled the first three inches of draw.  The Static read 6.5#,11.5# and 16#.  The Original read 7#, 12.5# and 17#.  Then we scaled that last few inches, from 24" to 26".  The Static read 47#, 50#, 53# while the Original read 46#, 49# and 52#.  These 56" bows are designed for archers of a shorter draw, so I felt that it was only fair to keep it within those draw length parameters.

For all the draw weights, I used an Easton hand held scale and Craig ensured that I stopped on the correct marks consistently.  We checked each measurement a few times to ensure validity.

Next we took both bows to the bales to check for speed.  Everything on the bows were exactly the same except for the one pound difference at 26".  Fortunately the arrow tuned perfectly out of the two bows, so I shot the exact arrow out of both. We set up our pro chony and again Craig watched to see that I was releasing the arrow at the same mark every time.  We took a few readings and here are the results.  The Static shot 181fps and the Dynamic shot 177fps.  So given the one pound difference, both bows were very similar in speed.  I don’t know the exact fps that the extra one pound would’ve added, but based on past experience, it’s safe to say that the speeds were very similar and the Static may have edged the Original by 1-2 fps if both were at the exact draw weight.

Now for my personal opinion of the sound and the shot.  Both bows were set up with the same silencing materials and positioned in the exact same spots on the bow as well as the string.  The Dynamic Stalker was not loud but everyone agreed that the Static was quieter.  As for the shot, both bows didn’t have "hand shock" but the Dynamic has a little more limb vibration after the shot.  Everyone who shot both bows expressed the same opinions as I.

So is a dynamic tip better than a static tip? Better than what and better for who?  Again, this goes back to “using what works for you”.  Hopefully I’ve given enough information to provide a better understanding of the two but remember, this comparison was only between bows of the same company.  As for myself, I love both of my Stalkers, but the Dynamic may have to sit on the bow rack for a while."

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
If string pinch alone were the only benefit then it is worth having the static./ However my experience is that the entire performance level is increased. The static is definately quieter since the string rolls up on the bow limb instead of slapping it. At least that is my theory as to why they are quieter and it may differ with different bow limb designs from static to static.

What Kirk posted is absolutely true and in fact we discussed this again on the phone this a.m. Statics can be extremely unstable unless built correctly/ However they can be an absolutely wonderful limb if built properly and if built to be stable.  

My assessment is that there is no downside to a well made static limb.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
Steve,

Without seeming to be a smarty pants... doesn't that statement fit most all limbs? The one where you typed, "no downside to a well made..."

Seems there are a lot of limbs and limb designs out there thru computer generated configurations that lack either vertical or lateral stability---or both!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
Doc not necessarily and in no way is questioning me being a smarty pants.  There are tome really bad down sides to a poorly designed static. Such as broken limbs when stringing.

What I mean by the statement is that if a static lacks really great horizontal stability it can easily be twisted while stringing and break. The verdict on verticle stability is still out because a bow can be verticaly unstable at brace and totally stable just an inch or two above brace. If the bow is stable at full draw or close to it I cannot see for the life of me why verticle stability would effect the shot at all. But I may be wrong so I shoot for both verticle and horizontal stability with my bows.

Bows are best built with experience and a lot of hard and long r&d , not with a puter. On that we totally agree.

God bless, Steve

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
Im not so sure on the static tip allowing for a shorter bow with a long draw...My RER bear takedown limbs broke at the fade outs after a year. I had been assured by them that the #2 limb on my B riser would be fine at a 30.5" draw...not so. The limb stressed at that spot and broke on my draw....I've never broken a dynamic tip bow...of any length.  I think the give in the dynamic tip helps to take stress off the area around the fadeout. I don't know this for sure but it was my experience with a static tipped bow...for what it's worth.

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
Is there any difference to the limbs while shooting - for example, are static recurves more sensitive to form problems? Are they more sensitive to torquing the bow? In general, which is 'easier' to shoot?

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
Hey there Pointer.... There is a big difference between being assured by a sales rep of a limb/riser combo on a production limb than getting information from the guys that build the limbs for a living.

Putting static tip limbs on a short riser and over stressing them with a 30.5" draw is the main reason i do not build ILF limbs. every bow limb has it's limits.

a "dynamic" recurve limb, also called a "working recurve" will definatelt hold up better to over stressing than the static tip limb. because the static tip limb stores all the energy in a shorter portion of the limb. but...

like S2 mentioned above here... the working recurve has more moving parts coming forward when you drop the string, and more importantly, those moving parts have to be stopped clean to eliminate noise and vibration. Btw...that slight vibration you feel in the riser is wasted energy that could have been transferred to the arrow.

bottom line.... both limb designs can be wonderful shooting bows if everything is balanced correctly and the limb isn't being over stressed. But the static tip design, or semi static design is going to win most of the performance contests if the bow is used to it's full capacity.

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
Well i going to try a static limb bow.Trading my predator for a fairly new dryad w/static limbs.I think i should be ok with 58" bow and only having a 28" draw length.Once again thanks everyone.Lots of good information.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs

Offline stickbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
Very informititve post ...thanks!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
With static tips just make sure you string them with a Selway type of stringer, not a tip to tip or you could break them.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
I am a static believer! (if built correctly)
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©