3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need another layer  (Read 358 times)

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need another layer
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
When it's really cold. I wear 2 base layers. A medium weight and a light weight, or two medium weights.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
I wear cabelas outfitter dry plus wool bibs. Of course I doesn't get all that cold here in Ga. They are a bit heavy though and really need a belt at waist to make them more confortable.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
Right now ive been wearing the asbell wool pullover, it keeps me pretty warm but not when temps get real cold. Does anyone wear a wool vest or something similar over the asbell pullovers? Just wondering if this would be too much bulk.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
buckeye... yes ! I love my Gray Wolf Woolens vest for late season. Best piece of gear I own for warmth and keeping my bow arm slim in late season. I wear my Ullfrotte' 400 gram wool mock neck top zipped all the way up, then a Cabelas or Goodwill wool sweater, then the GWW vest over that. On a brutal cold day say less than 20 degrees and windy my arms get a little cold with the wind being able to blow thru the Ullfrotte' and loose weave of a wool sweater.

I am wanting to buy a thin wool pullover with a wind liner now for just that very reason. I am saving my nickels for a GWW pullover that is lined most likely. Hear me now and believe me later.... a GWW vest is what you need. Mine is lined with Conformax for wind and also insulated. I really do not see how I did without it ! Love the flip up collar, deep pockets, etc, etc. I bought a Cabelas wind shear lined sweater on sale last year but man is it heavy and the liner is waaaaay toooooo loud for stick and string hunting like we do.   :coffee:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
If you are cold after a wool base and wool military, chances are you are in snow.  I'd look for a windproof, waterproof pant to go over the rest.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
If it is just cold, as opposed to REALLY COLD the extra base layer could well be a pair of skier's silk long johns under the merino wool. It is surprisingly effective. I wear a fleece vest as an extra layer as it helps keep the core warm without being too bulky in the arms.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©