3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recommendation on Binoculars  (Read 584 times)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recommendation on Binoculars
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
If you are going to be putting a lot of time behind binos that is where great optics shine. You won't get eye fatigue and you will enjoy the clarity. If you just use them once in awhile and for short periods of time go with the next quality level down.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
I appreciate all the great input.  I have noticed that no one has mentioned Steiner's.  I had always heard that they built a great product but maybe that is not the case.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
There's lots of good glass out there. I like my Eagle Optics Ranger SRTs. I paid just north of $200 for them, they have all the good stuff, waterprooof, and they have a lifetime warranty.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
Another Swarovski fan. I've had and loved my 8 x 30's for about 15 years now. No desire for anything different. They are easy to carry, bring in plenty of light and I can glass for hours without eyes getting tired.

One of the best things I ever did was purchase a Bino Buddy strap system for my binos. No weight on the neck!    :thumbsup:  

That being said, there are lots of great binos out there that may work better for different things.
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by BrownA5:
no one has mentioned Steiner's.  
I had some a few years ago with a warranty issue, it wasn't a pleasant experience. I would never consider them in the future.

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
Kahles...8x30's......a division of Swarovski, but WAY less money......

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Russ Clagett:
Kahles...8x30's......a division of Swarovski, but WAY less money......
I was wondering if anybody was going to mention Kahles. I have a pair of 8X32's that I have had for 10-12 years and I really like them, They were a division of Swarovski at the time I bought them, but I do not believe that is the case currently. I also notice the 8X32 Binocs are now $400.00 more than what I paid, but I expect them to last a lifetime.
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
I think if money is not an issue the leica's are the best there is...but so far on my 3rd season and for basic usage for regional deer I'm very happy with the STEINER preditor pro's,,, I also had a warranty issue more of a question and they gave me a brandnew pair which has been fine.

how about leopolds US made,, any good?
"Us vs Them"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by BrownA5:
I appreciate all the great input.  I have noticed that no one has mentioned Steiner's.  I had always heard that they built a great product but maybe that is not the case.
I have a pair of Steiners.......8X30 Predators, They are the best pair I have ever had. Clear, good field of view and just darn good. I use them with confidence all the time.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Tatonka17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »
I own a pair of Meopta 10 x 42 HD's that I love.  Meopta makes the Cabela's Euro binoculars and like someone stated above, they're very comparable to stuff that is 2 or 3 times the money.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
I agree with Amar.  I, too, use 8x32 Leica Ultravids.  Not a better glass around in my opinion, but they are expensive. Vortex HDs are  also very good glass.  I have 8x32s because Leica doesn't make a 7x32 or 6x32, but I think the lower power may be a better choice for the northeast or upper great lakes, where the trees and brush are thick.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
I spent a lot of years in Germany and they tend to be more single-sport focused than Americans. They don't buy a bass boat, a quad, a jet ski and all the other goodies we spend money on. Within their one sport, they tend to buy the best available. I had an opportunity to compare my East German (yeah, it's been a while) Zeiss binos with the Forester's Swarowskis. I was pretty impressed with the optical performance of my big Zeiss (the mechanics were a bit loose)but just at last shooting light, those 10x42 Swarowskis made my 8x50 glasses look shabby. Do I own Swarowskis now? No, but wish I could afford some.

When I bought new glass recently, I first narrowed the field down to those which would close enough to fit my very small interpupilary distance. My eyes are VERY close together. Then I looked for optical quality and mechanical stability (some of them were pretty easy to knock out of focus by just pressing them against my eye brows). Lastly I looked at price. Sadly, I had to put a couple back just because of price and wound up with some Nikon X glasses. Super glass for the price. Maybe some day Michigan will draw my number in the lottery and Swarowski here I come!
'Till then, I'm very happy with what I have.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
I have had Leica, Swarovski, Zeis, Leupold. I think for all around use I liked the 8X30 SlC Swarovski the best. The 10X40 Leica is great but a little heavier, and I find myself not taking them when I am actually hunting that much.

For the price, the Leupold Yosemite is a good bino.

I really do enjoy my optics and miss them when I forget to take them with me.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
I agree 100% with everyone who pointed out the value of Swarovski, Leica, zeis, ect.  I've held all of these and they certainly are in a league of their own.  However, many guys like myself will likely never be able to spend the $ on such fine optics.  That said, I must say that Alpen makes one heck of an optic for the $$ and they are every bit as good a pair costing 3 to 4 times as much. They are also MADE IN AMERICA, which I admit, gets a few bonus points.
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline Iron Man2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
I think there are previous posts on this with even more info and recommendations...I love my Ziess. Pricey but every bit worth it, especially if you are glassing long distances and or with dark timber backgrounds.

My 2 centavos

JL   :archer2:
W/training wheels: Mathews 70# @ 28.5"
Advanced: Black Widow GB 53# @ 30
Master in Training: Archery Traditions Bambou Hunter 68" 57#
No matter how you slice it...it tastes that much better when it was earned the hard way.

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
I agree 100% with everyone who pointed out the value of Swarovski, Leica, zeis, ect.  I've held all of these and they certainly are in a league of their own.  However, many guys like myself will likely never be able to spend the $ on such fine optics.  That said, I must say that Alpen makes one heck of an optic for the $$ and they are every bit as good a pair costing 3 to 4 times as much. They are also MADE IN AMERICA, which I admit, gets a few bonus points.
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
I don't know what you are planning to spend but don't over look the Minox Hg Br's from Germany. I've looked through them side by side comparing to Vortex, Bushnell Elite, Swaro SLC's, Zeiss Victories, and Pentax DCF ED's and they whipped em all. Great glass for around a 1k.

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
All of this input has been very helpful.  Several have asked how I will be using the binoculars.  Primarily they will be used for Deer , Turkey and waterfowl hunting, scoping.

Offline Buranurra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2012, 12:11:00 AM »
I have Swarovski and they will be my Binos for life. Expensive but for a once only purchase then not so bad. THink of $100 per year for 25 odd years and it doesn't seem so bad.

Maybe it is best for the OP to decide on a budget and then people will be able recommend the best options.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2012, 08:16:00 AM »
I absolutely love my Leupold Yosemite 8x30's.  Fairly compact, durable, awesome clarity and light.  Fairly inexpensive.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©