3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Encounter with a monster last night!  (Read 592 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Encounter with a monster last night!
« on: November 05, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
Yesterday was a heck of a day in the deer woods. I setup in a lone wolf stand on the edge of a doe bedding area and sure enough at first light had some does enter the mill around for awhile before bedding. I could see them bedded from my stand.   Then an hour later two crossgun hunters come through on my right. I was between the bedded does and these two guys. They were talking and laughing and the. Decided to build a ground blind. They never knew I was in a tree forty yards away from them and that the deer were bedded under 100 yards from them. I was beyond frustrated but it was interesting to see how the deer reacted. They could hear them but were not budging from their bedding area.
      Eventually the guys left and as soon as they were gone the does all got up and began milling around before bedding again.
    Movement to my right revealed a buck with one half of his rack broken off. He looked to be a three year old. I wished I could see the buck that broke him off and I got my wish later in the day!  The half rack moved off without ever finding the does.
     After thinking about the situation I realized I needed to move. I figured if a buck came in and started harassing the does that there was little chance the does would lead him to me after all the disturbance from the crossgunners. I decided to try to take my stand and sticks down as quietly as possible to avoid blowing the does out and move around to the other side of the bedding area on a slightly off wind. There is a creek crossing over there leading to a good funnel.
     I managed to get over there and get setup without blowing out the nearby bedded does. At around five o'clock I saw movement in the funnel and was shocked to see a giant buck scent checking. He was a main frame 5x5 that would go in the  upper 160's plus a bunch of stickers.
    Sometimes in whitetail hunting things happen that are almost too much to believe. From where he was standing in the funnel I would have bet everything that he was gonna walk right to me. When he went to cross the creek instead of using the easy creek crossing right in front of me he chose to go down a super steep twenty foot bank and he fell in the creek!  He made his way into the doe bedding area and got the does on their feet and started harassing them. Eventually they moved off and I figured he was out of my life!  
    Next a doe came from another direction. She offered me a 15 yard broadside shot. Since I figured the big guy was long gone and I need the meat I took the shot and got a deflection!  I don't know if I've ever used the deflection excuse but my arrow never touched her. By now my nerves were shot. The doe trotted off a little ways and I heard footsteps coming from my right. It was the big one making a bee line for the doe I just shot at!  I was losing it. I felt I was going to get a shot at him but I did not know if I could keep it together because I was a frazzled mess!  He moved toward the doe and stopped thirty five yards broadside and began fiercely rubbing a tree and then snapped it in half!  The top half of the tree was stuck in his antlers and he became irate trying to get it out!  He threw the branch and then furiously dug a scrape so deep I thought he was digging a grave. Now all of a sudden I hear another deer coming. It was the half rack buck I saw in the morning. I knew I was gonna get a show. The big buck wheezed at him and then immediately attacked him. It was the most violent buck fight I have ever seen and for a second or two I thought the big one would surely kill the half rack. The half rack made it out alive but he was bleeding badly and his eye on the side he was missing an antler was now punctured!  The big one continued to rub and scrape and then walked off after the doe until I could no longer see him. I had him at thirty five yards twice!

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Encounter with a monster last night!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
Good luck to the next encounter with him.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »
Wow Jon!  Incredibly cool.  I need to take you up on your hunt offer one if these days!  I hope u get that big boy soon!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
YIKES! I would have messed my pants!
David M. Conroy

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
Wild Kingdom! Sounds like a great hunt you will never forget.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
Wow!  Sounds like you're  in the right area.  Persistence willl likely get you another chance at him.  Good luck!
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
Great memory Jon.

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
That would have made for some awesome video.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
Keep at it Jon!  Good Luck.  I will send some pics from KS next week.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
Stay on`m. I look forward to some pics of dead deer.RC

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
Stay with that big boy. This thread needs to end with you holding those antlers.
James Kerr

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
When you kill this dude jon what are you going to call him ??? How bout " Gravedigger " ??? Bout spit my sweet tea across the room when you said he "dug a scrape as deep as a grave "...  :laughing:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
>>instead of using the easy creek crossing right in front of me he chose to go down a super steep twenty foot bank and he fell in the creek<<

The big boys don't do anything predictable. I guess that's how they get to be big boys.   :)

Just spotting a big deer keeps me motivated when things get slow.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
NoCams that is perfect!  Think I'll call him Gravedigger!

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
Cool story! Looks like you are into some decent deer again this year!

Great stuff.

CK
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline yamaharider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing!  Only in archery season!
PSAV

"The older I get, the better I was"

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
Now you have a goal.  Go get him...

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »
Good luck Jon,I hope to see some pics of you with that bruiser!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
Man this story had me pumped up just reading about him...Reminds me of what "Romney did to Obama on the first debate" Gravedigger is a good name for him or Brutus! Sounds like he kicked butt on "Mr. crippled buck"...  :deadhorse:

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
That had to be a real show!!!  :jumper:    :jumper:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©