3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A yankee comes home for W. Pa buck  (Read 483 times)

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
A yankee comes home for W. Pa buck
« on: November 05, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
Every fall I make my pilgrimage back home from Alabama for the whitetail rut.  I know there are a lot of opinions on deer managment in PA but I for one think they have done a respectable job bringing improving the quality of the deer here.  No - I don't see as many deer as I did when I lived here 10+ years ago but the quality of bucks has improved significantly and the rut is pretty intense.  Yes - we can bowhunt for 4 months and kill multiple bucks in Alabama but I'm grateful for my week in PA every year.  Doesn't compare to anything I experience in the South.  

Anyway - we arrived evening of Nov 1 and on Friday morning we were in our stands and the bucks were moving.  Between 4 of us, we saw 10 bucks that day.  Things slowed up though Saturday when nobody saw an antler.  Sunday is a scout day and we moved and hung new stands and put out cameras.  While I was itching to hunt one of the new stands, one spot always calls my name each year and the sign there was smoking when we checked it Sunday.  My buddy Mark had a stand there and offered me to hunt it.  I tossed and turned all night trying to decide where to go in the morning but when I awoke I knew I had to hunt Mark's stand at the edge of the pines.

Mark and Wes headed to the creek bottoms where we hung new stands.  Pretty soon I started getting texts from them they were seeing deer - bucks too.  As I hadn't seen a deer yet, I was questioning my decision.  

Now I am from PA but I guess my blood has thinned out since I moved south and 31 degrees is cold for me.  I pulled on another layer wool about 8:30 determined to wait it out.  I had been in the stand since 6am.  

I was on the SE corner of a 3 or 4 acre patch of thick pines in a stand in a pine - looking out over some swampy grass and open hardwoods.  There were several scrapes surrounding the pines and some rubs on trees the size of my leg.  I hunt this spot every year and its always a hotbed of sign.  But yet I had been here 3 hours now on Nov 5 and not yet seen a deer.  Hmmm.

November 5 has historically been one of the most active dates each year but it didn't seem to be panning out this year.  

At 9:15 I heard footsteps behind me.  There is a scrape just around the corner of the pines that hadn't been hit in several days but as I looked through the pines I caught flash of tines - long ones!  I couldn't see him as he worked the scraped but I saw the trees sway and heard the dirt fly.  Then he took a couple steps though the water and I knew he was coming my way.  He rounded the last pine at 10 yards and turned right for my tree. Now he was walking on top of my boot tracks.  At 4 yards - he got real nervous.  I had no shot what so ever.  I thought - this is never gonna happen - he's gonna blow.  I looked away so there was no chance we would make eye contact.  After about a minute, I heard footsteps and looked back as he was coming in front of the stand.  It was too brushy for a shot but now he was straight downwind.  Yep - he caught a whif and started out of there - but at 10 yards he slowed to a fast walk.  I drew and at 14 yards he was quartering hard away.  It was now or never....  The arrow took him just ahead of the last rib.  I knew the angle was about right but still when you see an arrow that far back - your mind starts to question.  But at 75 yards he stumbled once, twice and was down.  Thank you Lord.

I had prayed as I settled into the stand asking the Lord to make it a great day.  Dang if He didn't.  Glory to Him.

"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A yankee comes home for W. Pa buck
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
Nice deer, congrats.. I am from PA too and normally make it back there for a couple days but not this year sad fully.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
Just beautiful Steve. Who says PA doesnt have big bucks? Gorgeous, big whitetail you've got there! Love the rubbed trees in the background.
David M. Conroy

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
Congrats!!!
Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
Awesome buck!  Great story!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
Steve,
  Congrats on a great buck! I'm in the opposite geographic situation - from AL, living in NH!!
                                    Todd
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
Gongrats from Pa.  :thumbsup:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
excellent deer and story. Congrats!

I am only disappointed that while other states take a "site specific management" tact PA has chosen to make each "management" unit very large.

In some areas I get to hunt occasionally, there seems to be decent buck activity and a goodly number of branch antlered bucks.

In another area, each year we see more and more illegal spikes... and we see groups early season running together of the runts of the year, with each successive one in the group bigger in size and horn then the last...but all spikes.

This would strongly suggest a multi-year age class of spike bucks. So there may indeed be, in some specific areas, a genetic disposition to spikes...we see few branch antlered bucks...just more and more huge bodied spikes with bladed 12" horns... Love to see PGC take a few of those big ones and do a tooth age study and report their findings... I'd throw some bets into a pot on age!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
Congrats on a fine buck

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
what a dandy! congrats
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
Nice story and great buck. Good shooting!  Oh and buy your friend a beer.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
Nice deer....a little colder here than 'Bama?    :eek:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
That is a hoss!

Offline BUCK-EYE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  congrats

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
beautiful buck and great memories. you cant ask for more
Tyler C. Moore

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
That is a beautiful buck!  Congratulations on your very successful hunt and your exciting story!     :clapper:

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
Nice shooting and yes 31 is cold to us living in Alabama.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
Congrats  :thumbsup:
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
not only did you come home a PA buck but a nice one!
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
Steve, congratulations on a great buck!  Thanks too for giving the Lord the credit!!

Way to go Brother!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©