3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Selfbow share/question  (Read 185 times)

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Selfbow share/question
« on: November 05, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
Recently acquired a Holmegaard style selfbow from a bowyer out west, nothing expensive but it seems well made.  The Holmegaard design is good looking and pretty cool, neat that it dates back 9000 years.  They called it ahead of its time.  Anyway, I've never shot a selfbow until this one and man does it have some handshock...like tooth rattling, I used the bowyer's brace height rec and did some fiddling and it still is like WHOA!  The bow is made from elm.  Also, this bow, being a Holmegaard type, has the really wide flat limbs with thin squarish tips the last third...now this is something I didn't notice right away before I strung and shot it, but saw after my first shooting session, so I have no way of knowing if it was like this right out of the box and I let the bow sit for 3-4 days to acclimate and also strung and pulled it multiple times to warm it up, then strung it one more time and shot it-- but the bottom limb appears to have a pretty good twist in it.  The bowyer claims that is how this style of bow can be, said as long as the tips align in the same plane as the handle that some twist in the limbs is ok...???  Any thoughts/comments?  The handshock is crazy to me.  I have lots of other bows now and I shot this one for one session and so far, other than the fact that it looks cool and is my first selfbow, I'm having trouble finding the urge to shoot it again, haha.  I posted another topic about the Martin Stick I recently acquired (and actually really like) and it has less handshock than this crazy thing.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Selfbow share/question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
Sounds like the limbs are slightly out of tiller, post a picture of the bow strung at normal brace and at full draw so the tiller can be evaluated.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
Yeah like Eric said probably a tiller issue. The twist is no big deal although with that design I definitely wouldn't want it there.  It's true with Selfbows, twist is not an issue as long as the string lines up with the center of the bow and tracks true. Some of the handshake may also be from overly large tips with excess mass.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Pics would help. If it has a straight style grip a high wrist hand placement could cause handshock. Not really sure until you post pics.

Tiller out or brace height are other things that come to mind.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
Thanks, I will work on getting some decent pics of the bow and then we can figure it out.  Stay tuned.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©