3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Goatskin: the Most Durable Shooting Glove Material?  (Read 294 times)

Offline Kilryth

• Trad Bowhunter
Goatskin: the Most Durable Shooting Glove Material?
« on: November 07, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
I am on the market for a very durable shooting glove.  To make matters more interesting, I would like it to be a pair of regular 5-finger gloves for general use.

Most 3-finger gloves seem to use Cordovan (heavy horse hide, durable), Deerskin (less durable), or Cordura/Nylon fingertips (durable).

5-finger gloves seem to use everything BUT Cordovan and Cordura/Nylon.  Rather, they say that Goatskin leather is the most durable.  The reportedly most durable non-impact gloves that I've found are Police/Military Tactical gloves made of Goatskin leather.  Goatskin leather is supposed to be much more durable than Cowhide, Deerskin, and Horsehide.  There are also several synthetic leathers on the market that claim to be more durable than leather (Carino, Material 4X, etc.)

SO that leaves me to question:  Has anyone used Goatskin gloves to shoot?  I came across one archer in the archives that claimed it was the most durable of anything he's tried.

Any other 5-finger glove suggestions for maximum durability and still have the ability to perform high-dexterity tasks?

Offline twospots

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Goatskin: the Most Durable Shooting Glove Material?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »
I couldnt find my tab one day and used a Mechanics glove no idea what kinda leather, I assumed it was cow... But I actually shot really well.

Offline Kilryth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
Thanks for the input twospots.  I've been using deerskin motorcycle gloves, and they have been working fine so far.  I just don't want to wear them out  :)

Has anyone tried this Goatskin shooting glove?

http://www.kustomkingarchery.com/Kustom-King-Goat-Skin-Glove/productinfo/4747/

I'm wondering how long it might last, especially compared to Cordovan or Nylon.

Offline Wolfhound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
I've had one for a few months already and it still looks like new. It's soft and tough at the same time.

Fits nicely.
Leftie stick slinger.

Offline CalArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
The toughest leather is kangaroo. All the sportbike racers use leathers made of kangaroo. Now that would make an awesome glove!
Husband, Father, Bowhunter

Offline CalArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
Found this:

Cabela's
Kangaroo Leather Thinsulate™ Shooting Gloves

- Five times stronger than cowhide
- Ultrathin for sensitivity and dexterity
- Strechable to conform to your hand
- Highly brerathable for dry comfort

These gloves are made from full-grain kangaroo leather. They're five times stronger than cowhide graded at the same thickness. Insulated with 40-gram Thinsulate™ for warmth without bulk. Spandex® inserts at the knuckles. Velcro® tab wrist closure for secure fit. Imported.

Sizes: S-2XL.
Colors: Black, Brown.
Husband, Father, Bowhunter

Offline Kilryth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by CalArcher:
Found this:

Cabela's
Kangaroo Leather Thinsulate™ Shooting Gloves

- Five times stronger than cowhide
- Ultrathin for sensitivity and dexterity
- Strechable to conform to your hand
- Highly brerathable for dry comfort

These gloves are made from full-grain kangaroo leather. They're five times stronger than cowhide graded at the same thickness. Insulated with 40-gram Thinsulate™ for warmth without bulk. Spandex® inserts at the knuckles. Velcro® tab wrist closure for secure fit. Imported.

Sizes: S-2XL.
Colors: Black, Brown.
Wow those look pretty great!  Good find!  Apparently Kangaroo is even stronger than Goat, but the abrasion resistance sounds debateable.  Also looking at belaying (climbing) gloves, which are reinforced at the fingertips for high abrasion.

Offline LYONEL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
Definately Kangaroo.
I had six crossovers made a few months ago out of it. I sold three to members of Tradgang to help offset the cost of whole skin & postage one was a gift to kirk at bigfoot, still cost me more than two regular crossovers but well worth it in my eyes. I had planned to have some more made but john said he only wants to use his regular leather now. Three of the gloves are in the US the other is in France.

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
Here are some pic's of Kuiu gloves I added cordura finger tips to. I wish they would make them from the factory like this or with cordovan. Great gloves but even better with finger stalls added. I have sent them pictures but no response. Maybe someone here has some influence with Kuiu.
Abe
 http://mob854.photobucket.com/albums/ab107/caribow/Shootinggolves004.jpg
 http://mob854.photobucket.com/albums/ab107/caribow/Shootinggolves003.jpg
 http://mob854.photobucket.com/albums/ab107/caribow/Shootinggolves001.jpg

Offline LYONEL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
I don't know if this is ok but i just thought i would add a link to some information on kangaroo leather

http://www.packerleather.com/kangaroo-leather.html

Offline Jhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
Kangaroo has the highest tinsel strength of all leather.  Very lightweight and thin. Would give great feel of the string and I would believe it would hold up well.

Offline Kilryth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
Thanks for the photos and inspiration!  How do you like the Cordura tips?

The Kangaroo leather certainly looks like a great option, but I don't see any "reinforced fingertip" gloves with Kangaroo, like I do with Goatskin or Cordura Nylon.  I would think that reinforced finger tips (double layers) would provide more durability than a single strong layer (such as Kangaroo), but I could be wrong.

Now I'm more confused on what I want than when I started this thread.  :)

- Reinforced Goatskin Belaying (climbing) 5-finger gloves (Petzl Cortex / Cortex Plus or the Black Diamond Tradition)

- Reinforced Cordura Nylon 3-finger gloves (The American Leathers Big Shot / Full Shot or the Dura-Glove)

- Kangaroo 5-finger gloves

- Tactical Goatskin 5-finger gloves

Leaning towards the two reinforced options.  I would consider reinforcing my own glove like Cari-bow, but I don't trust my stitching for durability.

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
Kilryth
The process of the tanning to make cordavon I think is the key to it's durability.
I have had Kangaroo leather boots nice but no where near as tough as cordavon.
Alaskan Bowhunting use to sell a full glove (set) with cordavon finger stalls . They shaved the cordavon thin.
Great gloves but they don't make them anymore. The cordavon never wore out but the gloves did.
They were a little pricey but I would buy them again if I could.
Abe

Offline Gump21Bravo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
Its a long shot but you could try some Army aviator gloves. Light weight clothe over back of hand and leather on palm and along the fingers.

Just do a web search for Nomex flyer gloves.

I have a pair or two left over from my military days and they work just fine.

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
Here is a better photo of the Kuiu gloves. [url=http://http://images.imagelinky.com/1352428797.jpg]  [/url]

Offline LYONEL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 07:15:00 AM »
Abe is pretty right about the tanning process helping with toughness which is why there are different types & grades of leather for the same type of skin. You also have to look at the thickness & quality of the hide as well. Kangaroo is not a thick type of leather it is quite the opposite depending on the grade it is usally a softer more pliabe type of leather but as has been already mentioned it is the strongest for it's weight or thickness of any type of leather & does not need to be shaved to suit the use of gloving for motorcycles, sports or archery You do however have to use the right type & grade for each application. For an archery glove you need to use what is refered to as ball glove leather this is as thick as Kangaroo leather usually gets but is still lighter than most other tough leathers & comes from older more mature animals it is quite often scarred from fighting & going through barbed wire fences & such, you need to remember this is a wild animal from a dry tough enviroment  not a farmed animal. I have gloves made from it that are about 8 or 9 years old that have been looked after & the leather has not worn out but the elastic & stitching have given way.

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
Lyonel
I have not seen the different grades of Kangaroo so I will take your word on that.
I have seen and used the cordavon in shooting gloves and I have not worn out the cordavon even if if was shaved down thin.
I like to use full gloves when hunting and wished someone would build them. Kangaroo gloves in the right grade or tanned in the right way may in fact be better. Would love to find out some time.
Abe

Offline Kilryth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
I am very surprised that there aren't more Full 5-Finger Shooting Gloves available.  I've seen a few, but they were mostly generic looking gloves with reinforced fingertips.

I ended up ordering the American Leathers Wet Shot, since it is on clearance and a few reviewers have been able to slip it on over some thin gloves & fingerless gloves.  I may order a pair of those Kangaroo Thinsulate gloves to go under them later on.

John @ American Leathers told me that he reinforced the sides of the fingers of the glove to increase abrasion resistance while reeling in a bowfishing line.

I will let you know how I like the glove & how well it fits over thin gloves.

For those of you like me that did not know: the new Big Shot Crossover has a hard plastic insert between the nylon and web, but the regular Big Shot does not have the plastic insert.

Offline LYONEL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
I will see what i can do to help you Abe.

Offline Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
I have used the KUIU gloves without any alterations for the past two years with great results.  They are what I took and wore/used when hunting Alaskan moose hunt this past fall. I get a good release but not as clean as when using a Black Widow cordovan tab or the old Alaskan Bowhunting cordovan glove mentioned above. They are just now starting to show some wear.  The KUIU’s are great warm weather gloves but when it gets cold they won't keep your hands warm.  This time of the year I use a three finger Damascus glove with wool gloves that have three fingers that grip the string on one hand cut off.  

One of my brothers is a test pilot and he gave me several pairs of the aviator gloves which I tried for several years but didn't get a real clean release and like the KUIU’s, they were not warm during colder weather.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©