3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stuck in the stand tips needed  (Read 331 times)

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Stuck in the stand tips needed
« on: November 07, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
Ive got a good problem that i need help with , im hunting new land this year and there is alot of deer . My problem is  i get stuck in the stand  after dark due to the deer not leaving and wind up having to run them off almost every day . I need some good tips on what to try to scare them off with out getting busted or making them nocturnal .
mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stuck in the stand tips needed
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
Shoot one before it gets dark.   :biglaugh:
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline MCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
You could try a slingshot.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
if they are back everyday (or with some frequency) i'd say don't worry about it because it doesn't seem to bother them much.

but you can also change the location of the stand or approach so you can slip in and out without having to go past/through the deer.

if there is no other option i just get out real slowly and quietly. the deer will probably see or hear you but will likely just run off a ways but not really be spooked

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
I have heard that u can bark like a dog or make some other noise that they are used to hearing. They will leave but not necessarily be spooked.

I promise im not trying to make you look like a crazy person barking like a dog 20' up in a tree all by yourself.   :biglaugh:
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline T Mowery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
I don't believe that there is such a thing as (Going Nocturnal) during the Rut.The Doe's will be Running,and the Suiters will be chasing.They may take a different approach to get by your stand site,but Im not entirely convinced of that either.Been in your situation,and have always just Whistled to get them a movin.Good Luck!
I think food is important and if you don't know how to cook, it's tragic." Julia Child

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
I 2nd the sling shot and some acorns, just shoot the brush about 30 yrs away a few times.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
I toss a scent bottle on the ground. I like the slingshot idea. You could just toss the shot down towards the deer without the slingshot. If you shot over them so the sound wasn't coming from your stand, that might be the best option.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
have someone drive out to you,ive thrown my backpack down,barked,yelled....
i like biscuits

Offline yth-mnstr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
I always blow like a spooked deer and they leave pronto.
justin ammons

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
I have done the barking dog thing and it worked well.  They left.  (it was also kinda fun, but then,  I am known to be a bit wierd).

I did not hunt there again the next day so I have no idea if it spooked them off the site.

ChuckC

Offline double eagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
using a diaphram turkey call clucking is one way to mask the noise.

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 02:03:00 AM »
I don't get enough sleep, so I use every opportunity to catch up.  :)

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 02:26:00 AM »
A smart phone with a game call app. Play some coyotes howling, then toss something to the ground a few minutes later. That should spook them, but not out of the area, unless you do it every night.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 07:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by yth-mnstr:
I always blow like a spooked deer and they leave pronto.
This works very well.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
I'm guessing by your description of the deer's desire to hang around that your stand is set up in a feeding area.  

If possible, move your stand up the trail they come in on - that way you can intercept them on the way through and not be trapped when they arrive.

FWIW - I've tried making noise.  In my experience (in the area I hunt) it is a bad idea.  The deer get wise after a couple of times and alter their pattern or become very spookish.

You're in their house and they know it better than you.  Foreign noises are an alert (maybe just to heavily pressured deer).  I want to be unseen, unsmelled, and unheard.  In the end, if I'm pinned down, I just wait it out.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
Howl like a coyote.  Just don't let your buddies hear it!

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
ha ha I just climb down and walk away without stopping, after dusk here they just stare at you as long as your going in the other direction,,,,,, sometimes they spook a bit and do a couple bounds but stop and just watch me leave,, real story the other night It just got past shooting time and while getting my quiver back on my bow I heard a dear coming thru so I figured I'd let him pass and see what run he was on,,,, he came by at about 35yds and then I heard another deer which seemed to be following the first deers steps,, well that second deer stopped for awhile and I wasn't sure why but after about a minute I saw a head lamp coming down the trail that these deer had just crossed. well that deer stood right there maybe 15yds from this trail and that bowhunter walked right by and the deer didn't do nothing just watched the guy, I was hoping it would do a huge snort and scare the heck out of this guy but it didn't.

my experience with deer here is they never remember i was there, I've had the same buck look up and bust me and then come walking by again the next night and not look up or remember I was there.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
After dark they wont spook. Dont waste your money on a slingshot they dont work, I know, I tried with 3/8" steel balls after rubber blunts failed to work. I have 5-8 deer in my yard every night and the only thing that works is letting my 3 dogs out...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
Another thing I do that kinda works. If they are near your stand and it is after dark, take your flashlight and shine it in their eyes.  I like the one Gene and Barry sell because it is super bright.  The deer won't take off running from the light in their eyes.  But if you keep it right in their eyes they move off.  I think its an annoyance to them.  I never feel bad about it, because it is an annoyance to me when they don't walk by during daylight! HA!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©