3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: THANK YOU VETERANS  (Read 736 times)

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: THANK YOU VETERANS
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
This may be something of a long post, for those who want to skip.

My grandfather joined the Canadian army in 1940, shortly after Britain (and Canada, a few days later) declared war on Nazi Germany following the invasion of Poland. After training for 'home defense' in Newfoundland, he volunteered to 'go active' - to join the volunteer forces that would go overseas. (Canada didn't start conscription until late 1944, and few conscripts hit the front lines).

On June 6th, 1944, Canadian soldiers of the 3rd Infantry Division, First Canadian Army, launched their assault on Juno Beach in Normandy. My Grandfather was in the follow up assault that pushed inland later that day.

From that day until the end of the war, he lived an existence that I cannot comprehend. He took part in the battle of the Falaise Pocket, the Battle of the Scheldt, and the liberation of Holland. He saw friends die, came close to death himself - at one point, a German grenade landed within feet of him...only to be a dud.

He witnessed the bravery of Dutch civilians, who sometimes led Canadian assault boats through the mazes of canals in Holland, in attacks on heavily armed German positions. He witnessed the jubilation of starving people, who welcomed Allied food aid in the famine under German occupation.

When the war ended, he volunteered to join the Canadian Army Occupation force, and served there until late 1946, when he was finally rotated home.

My father only heard him speak of the war two times: one of those times was to a man who complained bitterly of his service in the home defense forces, while he had been overseas. The second was when I interviewed him as part of a project in High School. With only a couple questions he told me everything he remembered of the war - including a memorable experience in the Parisian subway system, a novelty to a country boy from rural Ontario. He remarked on his sympathy with the German people, who he could not blame for their subjugation under Nazi rule.

He died on Christmas Eve a few years ago.

My generation, on the whole, is in danger of losing their connection with those time - with the sacrifices demanded of entire countries, of families, and of individuals. Many of my classmates learned about it in school, watched the movies, and moved on. My own connection is tenuous - but I have tried all I can to learn about the wars in which we have fought. I feel the need to understand, in the hopes that I can learn from it - and remember.

Offline ARCHER2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
God bless you all and thank you from the bottom of our hearts.   :thumbsup:
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Straight Shootin'

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
Thank you and God's Speed to all fellow VETS!
USN(RET) 1977-99
SOM 2001-2019

52" Fedora Stalker
Bear K-Mag x2
Predator Velocity 60"

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." -- Fred Bear

Offline Wolfshead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2012, 06:03:00 AM »
Thank you all!
Bama Expediton Hunter Hybrid Longbow
58", 52# @ 27"
Bama Hunter Longbow
64", 45# @ 27"
"You only need sit still long enough, in some attractive spot in the woods, that all it's inhabitants may exhibit themselves to you by turns"
Henry David Thoreau

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2012, 06:35:00 AM »
Jake,
Great post. Those who fought for the Allies in WW2 kept the free world free. A salute to all those Allied forces that kept the Axis from conquering the world.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2012, 07:41:00 AM »
Semper Fidelis to all my brothers and sisters, whom has sacrificed so much so we have what we do, yes I shall shed a tear on this day and am not ashamed of it.  For having unalienable right's and to hold these truth to be self evident are not just words, but a belief that binds us all and a purpose worth sacrifice.
"From time to time, the tree of Liberty must be restored with the blood of Patriots".
God Bless America and the great People whom make it!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »
Thank you!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »
I would like to encourage all vets to wear their dog tags visibly on Veterans day. All of the young "Me" generation folk out their need to know how many of us served our country when called upon.

Army Jan 67-Dec 69

Offline Craig Schoneberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
Thank you to all who have served and are still serving.

During this bow season keep our Military Personnel in your thoughts when processing your deer.  Have 15-20 pounds made in to jerky and send it to a Soldier serving in harms way.  

Since the 2009 season I have taken venison donations and had it made in to jerky.  To date I have sent in excess of 3,000 pounds of finished venison jerky.

Just had an email from a Soldier this morning requesting more for friends -  it will be February before I have more to ship.  

Keep in mind - even if it's just a couple pounds of jerky, it means a great deal to our Soldiers.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member
Nebraska Bowhunters Association Life Member
Nebraska Traditional Archers Life Member
Traditional Archers of Nevada Founding Member
Colorado Traditional Archers Society

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
Thank you all  :notworthy:    :clapper:
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Stalker58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
Thank you, to all my fellow military brothers and sisters for your service.
Steve Darcy -US Navy 1977-1981

Offline 187BOWHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
ooorah!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
I think I can safely speak for a lot of Veterans.

We gladly served our country and are proud of that service.

We deeply appreciate the gratitude being shown to us today.(and tomorrow)

It is very unlike when those who served in Vietnam returned home.

Thank you for recognizing the sacrifices that were and are still being made on behalf of all Americans...... and by all, I mean all..... regardless of race, color, creed, or sex.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
God Bless each and every one of you who served in any branch of the military and I Thank you for your service ...You may at times think no one cares due to the way the country is heading But I do and always will be greatful to each of you who fought to keep us safe and for those who continue to do so...A Big Salute to you all..God Bless America and please God I pray you will heal our Nation once again ...

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
God Bless all of us and thank each and everyone of you for your service.  Gladly served for 22 years in the US Navy retired as a CPO in 1993. Still serving my country with US CBP. 4 more years and I will finally retire again.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
Naval Aviation 1973-1977. Thank you and Thanks to you!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »
I would not be able to do all the stuff I do without the military making this great country safe... thanks. I appreciate it.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
29 years ago today I returned to FT Bragg from a 16 day jaunt to the island of Grenada. All my buddies came home with me. Prayers and thanks to all the buddies who haven't made it home since then.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline ichibuns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
Thou I Walked In The Valley Of Death I Shall Fear No Evil With Thy Bow In Hand And A Quiver Full Of Arrowa And The Lord By Side I SHALL FEAR NO EVIL  :nono:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©