3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone use Trocar Tipped Muzzy Broadhead?  (Read 851 times)

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone use Trocar Tipped Muzzy Broadhead?
« on: August 15, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »
Just wondering of anyone uses the trocar tipped muzzy broadhead on whitetails? I believe their original design was created and used before the compound.

Never used them on whitetails myself, but they do fly pretty well for me.

If you've had any experiences with them, I'd love to hear it.

Bob

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone use Trocar Tipped Muzzy Broadhead?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 12:04:00 PM »
Two of my friends have been using them for years and years with great results. They recomend that you sharpen the trocar tip. I myself use the phantom 4 blade.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 12:04:00 PM »
They work fine. The only thing I have against Muzzy is the long distance from the tip of the point to the edge of the cutting surfaces. They don't penetrate quite as good as other heads with a shorter distance in this area.

For a modern fixed blade design I'm liking the looks of Cabelas Copperhead. I plan on testing a few of them this year to see how well they work.

Offline cajunbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 02:47:00 PM »
John Musacchia who founded the company and invented the broadhead was a well respected,and sucessful, traditional bowhunter.

CB
"Forget your lust for the rich mans gold all that you need is in your soul...Find a woman and you'll find love and don't forget son,there is someone up above...Ronnie Van Zant "simple man"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
That's very true cajunbowhntr...and a great gentleman.  I like my two blades however.

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 11:22:00 PM »
whats a trocar?

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »
Have not used them with trad gear but used the 125g 3 blades all the time with a compound.  Shot plenty of deer with them and never had any problems.  Complete pass-thru on every one and the heads always stayed together. I don't think penetration would be an issue on whitetails.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline cajunbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 11:59:00 PM »
Trocar is the name muzzy gave to the tip of their broadheads.It is a large chisel point and the edges can be sharpened.

CB
"Forget your lust for the rich mans gold all that you need is in your soul...Find a woman and you'll find love and don't forget son,there is someone up above...Ronnie Van Zant "simple man"

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 01:19:00 AM »
trocar
One entry found for trocar.

Main Entry: tro·car
Variant(s): also tro·char  /'trO-"kär/
Function: noun
Etymology: French trocart, alteration of trois-quart from trois three + carre edge
: a sharp-pointed surgical instrument fitted with a cannula and used especially to insert the cannula into a body cavity as a drainage outlet
"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 03:20:00 AM »
its a chisel point with three sides.hence,three edge as cited by OzarkRamblr
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »
Of course I do!  Been shooting them for many years with trad bows and have taken alot of game with them.  I love the 125gr 4bl head on a heavy carbon arrow, does alot of damage and I normally get pass thrus on my deer and hogs and my bear and even shot clean thru 1 elk.  I do sharpen the tip on a diamond stone as well.  Just like being able to replace blades and not have to stop and resharpen after shooting, especially when hog hunting since we have a tendency to shoot more often!  John Sr and Jr both shot the Muzzy's off their trad bows and took lot's of game with them.  Been shooting Muzzy's since about 90 or so.  The trocar tip has been around since the middle ages and was developed to penetrate the armor that was being worn.  It is definitely the best tip design for breaking and and penetrating bone and is the most widely copied tip design in the industry, even though when Muzzy's were 1st introduced in '84, it was the hardest selling point of our heads!  Mark
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
I started with the Matador years ago and still have a few of them.  Had very excellent results with them.

I once had a doe jump string on me and I made a direct hit on her spine.  The broadhead went completely through the bone and I unscrewed it and pulled my arrow out.  That head was undamaged but I replaced the blades and I used it several more times.

Dennis

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 06:51:00 PM »
I shot the 145 gr 4 blades with Trad Gear for years on Whitetails and never had a penetration problem, awesome blood trail as well.

As stated above sharpen the Trocar tip.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
I've only shot one deer with a Muzzy.  It was the three blade, 125 grain and I was shooting a 50# bow.  Quartering away from about 17' up in a treestand.  Arrow passed through and hit the opposite leg, which stopped it.  Deer went about 50 yards and layed down for good.  Lots of blood.

Offline gjw77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
Are you saying to sharpen a new trocar tip because they aren't sharp enough or one you have been shooting?
  Because if new ones are sharp enough you can buy replacement trocar tips,so you could swap them out like the blades.
"Sometimes you get the bear,sometimes the bear gets you."

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 10:52:00 PM »
I`ve killed a good many deer and pigs with the three blade 125 grain head with trad bows. I killed my biggest pig with one . I got some on some carbons now waiting for blood. RC

Offline Lee in S.C.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 08:48:00 AM »
Same as above. Lots of deer and pigs with the 125 3 blades. Never had any issues. They are a super tough head.

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
The trocar tips are sharp and replaceable, but you can put a good edge on them with a stone and it will help with penetration.  We even worked on some tips here and could get them to slice paper with ease.  Mark
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 09:55:00 AM »
It is not like we are shooting brick walls. I have switched to the muzzy phantoms, but I always have used muzzy BHs. Dont matter what you shoot them off of wheelie or trad, they are good, stout, tough, SHARP broadhead. pass throughs not a problem.

I still have some 115 4 blades that wil be on my arrows if I somhow dislike these phantoms(doubt it).

Later

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »
I used the 125's and 100's back when I shot a compound. I killed my first deer with a 125. But a friend of mune convinced me to switch to a cut on contact 2 blade head. The Muzzy worked for me  but I hunt where the soil is pretty rocky and I almost went broke replaceing the dull blades and the bent furrels. I switched to the Magnus 2 blade heads that I can hit with a file the regain my hunting edge.
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©