3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Limb straightening  (Read 168 times)

Offline Johnny Reb

• Trad Bowhunter
Limb straightening
« on: November 08, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
Anyone ever straighten a limb on a recurve ?? if so could you give a play by play on how you done it ??

Noticed a tiny bit of a twist on mine this evening, just enuff that the string was edging to one side of the string groove on the limb but you cant hardly tell by looking at the limb.

I tinkered with it for a while by drawing it & easing the string back down & it always went back into the same place in the groove.
It's a twang thang,some people git it, some people dont.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Limb straightening
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
Just gently hand twist it straight. Over twist a little until it stays straight.

If you are hand stringing your bow, get a bow stringer.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
Charlie has it correct. I have straightened a couple of bows that way.

Offline Johnny Reb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
Gotcha, I've thought about try'n to just rub it untill it warmed up & bend it back in place, also considered steamimg but thought it mite be over kill.

I have a stringer but a ceratin 3 year old grandson has discovered it & now I'll have to rediscover it ... somewher.

Think'n its the results of leave'n it strung, from now on it'll be put up unstrung.

Thanks guys.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 11:30:00 PM »
I agree completely with Charlie's method-definitely no hot water, no steam and no hair dryer. The glue often gives up at just under 140 degrees.
The twist is not from leaving it strung.........I have recurves that have been strung for years. Older recurves sometimes have slightly twisted limbs and generally it is the lower limb-why? It is because they spend years in a closet corner and the simple weight of the bow will cause the end of the lower limb to get twisted. IMO

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 12:23:00 AM »
I have had luck with rubbing the limb with a cloth (over wax) to warm it up and then over-twisting it opposite to the undesireable twist.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Johnny Reb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Yeah I was think'n the heat mite be over kill thats why I posted up before try'n anything, even tho its old & in less than perfect shape it still has plenty of life in it, great little bow it is.

StumpKiller :you mention wax, what type & whats the bennifit ?? ( retorical question somewhat)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©