3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Just got my Brand new bow  (Read 327 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Just got my Brand new bow
« on: November 10, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
Well Gang,

I just got a brand new Toelke Curlfew in the mail today.  54@28. cocobolo Riser, Boo limbs with Juniper under clear glass.  Natural Buckskin wrap on the grip.  This bow is absolutely Gorgeous.  The only problem is I am a Longbow Shooter mostly and no matter what I do I can not get arrows flying out of it properly.  

I have raised and lowered the nock from 0-1", played with brace height, different spines the whole  nine yards.  This bow feels wonderful, and It is beyond beautiful.  I think I am just a Longbow shooter.

Any time i get a LB in, its as simple and string it up, set brace around 6- 6 1/8, nock at 1/2" and bam, I have arrows flying good out of it.  Not so much with the recurves.  I had the same problem with my super Kodiak, then I sold it, but wanted to give recurves a try again.  Ill give it some time and tinkering, then she may be seeing the classifieds.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just got my Brand new bow
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
Man I hope you get it figured out, that sounds like an awesome rig.  Funny how that works, I started out with recurves, then picked up a longbow a couple months back and now they're just about all I can shoot...I bought 5 more if that tells you something about my success with them.  They just suit me and do what I want them to do.  Everytime I pick up one of my recurves its like a slight handicap as I reorient myself to them.  I find I have to work with them for a little while to get back the equivalent accuracy from the longbows.  No shame in that, might just have to transition to the recurve for a while until you get it how you want it, then when you switch back and forth give yourself time to shoot it in (???)  Good luck and hope you don't have to sell your new baby!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »
Brian, she is a beauty, those veneers look just like Marblewood! I had a Curlew with almost identical specs. I did not have trouble getting good flight but arrow spine ended up being stiffer than I expected.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
Brian,Brian,Brian, Just go back to the Hill style bows and your problems will be solved.  :goldtooth:

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
Nick,

I know I know I know!!! But a man has got to try new things sometimes.  LOL  I have been shooting it  a few more times, and I guess with it being shorter than the LBs It likes 7/8+ on nocking point.  My LB even 3U like 1/2".  My C&N Hill Style is the bow all others are compared to.  With that said, I will be ordering another.

Offline soap creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
Remember me Brian? I switch back and forth between recurve and longbow. I find on the recurve I need to lighten up on the grip, helps me anyway. You might give it a try.
(Rom. 10:13)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
I do remember you Greg,  glad to hear from ya.  Its probably all a mental issue with the two I'm thinking.  Im sure if I shoot it enough, I will flow into it.  There is just something magical about the Longbow to me.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
Oh, and Greg, how can I forget, you have my second favorite bow I have ever owned LOL

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
Sweeeet! Great looking bow Brian! Keep working with it and you will find out what it likes.
Im a Hill style lover myself, but i do on occasion
break out one of my recurves. No matter if its got straight limbs or recurve limbs, as long as its got just one string its all fun.
Shoot straight and enjoy!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
What.......a Recurve.....lol! Ain't it awful!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
Ron ,
I'm struggling enough with my identity here, I don't need any help. LOL

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
Judging by the grip shape, and the fact you've conditioned your self to shooting a  Hill style bow i can see where you may be having issues.

Try not wrapping your hand clear around the grip first, and rotate your wrist and elbow up a wee bit, and don't heel down on the grip too much. You want nice even pressure on the thumb pad and web of your hand with a loose grip. With that design riser you can shoot with a complete open hand....but griping it will throw you off big time. especially if it's cut past center.

depending on shelf location and shelf depth canting your bow too much can be an issue too.

Did you talk to Dan about it yet?  That guy not only builds a sweet bow, he's excellent on tuning the right arrows to the bow, and very knowledgeable about helping a guy out with form issues...

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
Kirk,

Thank you for that. I will adjust some more tomorow. I will say that I don't necassarily grip a Hill bow with a Hill grip though.  I use a standard BEST or NTS style grip.  I am going to incorporate your tips though and see what I can do.  And I did not ask Dan yet, I plan on calling Monday.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Don't over think this whole thing, go out with the intent to have fun shooting a few arrows from your new bow. Relax and let it happen.........   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
I can only have fun when I like how they are flying.  I don't need to be busting nocks but I do not like a wobbly arrow. If I spend some one on one time with her I'll get her squared away.  The weight difference between longbows and recurves is huge though.

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »
Very nice,thanks for sharing.  :thumbsup:
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Offline huntsman247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 12:27:00 AM »