3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do You Remember When...........  (Read 1134 times)

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do You Remember When...........
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
:saywhat:

Sure wish it was like that now...    :notworthy:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
I remember those prices, and I remember they seemed pretty expensive back then.  Everything is relative.  Matter of fact, some things nowadays are actually cheaper, comparatively speaking.   Oh yeah....My first job paid $1.25 per hour as well.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »
The lowest I remember gas being for our fishing trips was 69 cents a gallon and a candy bar for 25 cents.  Just a kid then....

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
Herter's Model Perfection recurve - $37.50. My son shoots that one now, good old bow!

Cheeseburger, fries (not the frozen kind), a Pepsi (12 oz. bottle when that was the big one) and two Tootsie rolls = $1.00 at Pete and Shorty's tavern. That was my usual lunch during high school. We had open campus then and many went home for lunch...and mom was there to cook it! I lived in the country, so I just walked downtown to the tavern.

.22 short = $.25
.22 long = $.30
.22 long rifle = $.35 a box

Ruger 10-22 = $56.00

Brand new Ford Maverick $1999.00...and I couldn't afford one   :(  .

Hogs = $18/100 pounds...which is why I couldn't afford the Maverick.

Getting a raise TO $1.25 per hour.

A 3 cent stamp was 3 cents instead of 41.

A nickel candy bar was bigger than a 25 cent one. I don't know what they cost now because I haven't bought one in years.

But as George said, it's all relative. I make a lot more now, but it goes away faster.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline 1Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »
I can remeber my brother and I taking back a 6 pack of Pepsi bottles for the refund and having enough to buy a gallon of gas for our 3hp outboard motor. Also just recently I received a Ruger 10-22 in the original box,all the paper work,including the warranty card,that has yet to be filled out. The gun was purchased mail order from JC Pennys for $56.75 according to the box!-1Longbow

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »
1999 for a ford Maverick...Your lucky you couldn't afford it. LOL Sorry I'm a pontiac guy. Dad bought his 1965 GTO in 1967 for around $1700 He sold it when he and my mom got married. The one we bought a few years back was nearly 15 times that price and then we put mor in it to make it right.

Growing up I can remember two gas stations having price wars for gas. I remember them getting well under a dolar a gallon. When that all ended it was just over a dollar. Stayed that way or close for years. Now it could gow up and down 50-75 cent in a day or two.

On the other hand I remember VCR's comming out and costing 500+ for a pretty basic one. Now the ones with all the bells and wistles is under 100. The replacement (DVDs) didn't take long t come down in price. How about computers Used to be an 8" floppy drive could cost upwards of 10,000. Yep 10,000. Now hardly anyone remembers 8" or 5" or 3.5" floppies.

As far as traditional archery goes my first bow was a Polar II compound (not realy traditional) I shot with fingers (went down hill from there) I can remember dad bringing that home for my for my birthday. I was so excited and learned to shoot a bow with it. Never had any real nice equipment becuase we didn't have alot of money but I can remember taking my first shot at a deer (a buck) I was sure I got him. Instead it was a small twig that deflected my shot into the ground. I can see it like it was yesterday.  Still have that bow probably always will.
Jason Lester

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2007, 11:53:00 PM »
yep, I remember those prices. Wish I had bought a $1000 worth of the Forgewoods back then. First Car 1968 Ford Mustang, $1300. Wish I had that thing now too.Could fill that car up for less than $5.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2007, 11:58:00 PM »
I remember when I was a 2XL and Lord I miss those days.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2007, 12:12:00 AM »
Wow! some a you guys are really old! My first job paid a whopping $2 an hour.  ;)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2007, 02:38:00 AM »
Our neighbour across the street bought a volkswagon beetle when he got married in 1973 for R1200 , R1200= $600. He still has it and is retired, they tried to steal it the other day but he had it chained to a tree! Funny thing is you can get completely reconditioned ones now for R15000 ($2000) in todays money. Imagine driving a car for thiry three years and being able to sell it for the same price of a replacement? Good deal that car, it buzzes around like a sewingmachine, starts first time too!
chrisg

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2007, 07:38:00 AM »
Danny I wish I had bought $1000 worth of Microsoft   :biglaugh:

I remember buying 100 POC shafts spined the same and +- 2 GRAINS on weight for $50. 1000 left wing ground and cut wild turkey feathers for $45 (gave them away by the handfuls cause I was sure I'd never use up 1000 feathers ha ha)a pack of 6 Bear Razorheads for $2.

In 1967 a new Volkswagon Beetle was $1899, a Ford Mustang $2400 and in 1979 I remember telling a neighbor who bought a new Chev pick up for $3900 he was nuts.

Our first TV was of course black and white was in a cabinet about 5 feet tall and maybe 4 feet wide and had a 9" screen. My mom's cousin was the first people we knew who got a color Tv. We went over on a Sunday night to watch it and the first show we saw in color was Bonanza, When that map caught on fire in color we were in awe. Of course we begged dad to get one but they were too expensive. We didn't have air conditioning ( and then it was window units) until I was 17.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2007, 08:08:00 AM »
Ferret,
  My cousin was the janitor when Microsoft only had 7 employees including him.  When they needed money they asked him to buy some stock in the company and he did. Well....you can guess what that tured into...He is rolling in it now and could buy more bows that all of us combined.
-Charlie

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2007, 08:18:00 AM »
Dang Charlie that's awesome. I rememebr a few years back they said if you had invested $10,000 in Microsoft in 1968 or something, you'd be worth like 100 million today. Of course who had $10,000 in 1968?
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »
I remember gawking at the racks of recurves that lined the wall of Bart's Sports World. I had my hundred dollars and a notion to get that Deliverance set-up that Burt had. I didn't know the difference between a Bear Super K and Kellog's Special K.
I remember trying to get the salesman to sell me a manly 50 pound or up bow, and being steered to a what I thought was a wimpy 40X. I remember wondering why some of the bows were a gaudy green, and some were almost six feet long. Then when I was getting ready to buy, I remember the shock of having to fork out more money for a string and arrows and field points. I was shocked that the aluminum arrows cost so much, and settled for a manly brown Super Grizzly. I remember that the salesman put on my string and installed a brass nock point for free. Wow, a free nock point!
Then I looked at my set-up, priced the gloves, arm guards, and targets, and set off to find a nice dirt clod. I knew that the pointy end goes on the front, and the nock goes into the string under the nock point, and everything else was trial and error.
But one day that summer I also remember the feeling of robinhooding one of my priceless arrows and shattering the nock. It was the second arrow I shot that day, and I felt like a Zen master archer. (These were the days of "snatch the pebble from my hand.")

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2007, 08:40:00 AM »
Ferret,
Yeah, the ex-janitor(my cousin) now owns several companies.  Being an employee, he bought his Microsoft stock while it was still private.  The luck some people have...I wonder if he can buy a computer for prices like they had in the 70's?
-Charlie

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2007, 08:43:00 AM »
...How about computers Used to be an 8" floppy drive could cost upwards of 10,000. Yep 10,000. Now hardly anyone remembers 8" or 5" or 3.5" floppies.[/QB]
My first computer didn't have a mouse, hard drive or a floppy drive.  I had to buy an optional cassette tape drive.

There was no internet.

My first year at college, they were just replacing the punch card machines with PC's that actually had 5.25" floppy drives.

yes, I'm kind of a computer geek.

My first trad experience was shooting a red fiberglass Bear recurve into bales of hay in our back yard.    Even though I spent the next 20 years shooting wheel bows, I still have that old red fibergalss Bear recurve.   Funny how some things come full circle.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2007, 10:23:00 AM »
Baker treestands....

It was almost dark when the doe walked up behind me. I was 20 ft up in my new Baker. I turned slowly and took the shot, couldn't tell where my arrow went but heard the unmistakable thump of arrow striking a deer.

The light was fading fast so I started down the tree in a hurry to track my deer. Some how I raised the seat climber without first setting the foot climber securely and down the tree I went. About 6ft off the ground the seat climber caught but the foot climber kept going and my arms that were at my side during the ascent were forced over my head as my momentum stripped me through the seat climber. When the foot climber hit the base of the tree I was pitched backward, the foot straps held me to the stand and the back of my head hit the ground like a sledge hammer.

Lying on the ground I didn't have any feeling in my arms and couldn't move any part of them including my fingers. I lay there for about 30 minutes debating what to do next when I felt a tingle in one of my fingers. This tingle expanded up my arms and the feeling and ability to move my arms slowly came back.

Now that I could move my next thoughts were to start tracking my deer. I walked to where I thought I hit the deer and found my arrow, clean and embedded in a rotten stump, didn't hit any deer only a stump.

I kept the Baker for a while and threw it away to keep anyone else from falling prey to it's unsafe nature. I knew my concience would bother me if I sold it to someone and they were injured while using it.

My first job was busing tables and washing dishes for 35 cents an hour and tips from taking up room service at the Gatlinburg Motor Inn(the hotel next to the Sky Lift) in Gatlinburg Tn. We were supposed to get a portion of the waitresses tips but most of them lied about what they took in in during their shift. I lived on my own above Parton's Grocery in an $8 a week rooming house 60 miles from home. I was 16 years old, out of school for the summer, the year was 1964. This type of self sufficiency was expected of kids of my generation and prepared us to face life. Sadly this necessary component of life preparation is overlooked by today's parents.

I still have my first pay stub from the army in 67, $65 for a months pay.

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
The Baker strikes again!  
We built a new house three years ago and moved.  I still had the Baker but ended up throwing it away instead of moving it.  I had thought about putting it in a tree and waiting to see if someone stole it.  That would have put the end to one thief, but I thought better of it.
Goose
Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »
When I was seven years old, I wanted the fishing rod and reel for sale in the tackle shop window. It cost 15/6. That's old English money that equates to 77p in today's money, and $1.55 in your money. I used to get 2/6 pocket money each week so you can imagine how long it took me to save up for it. I gave both the rod and reel away to my neighbor's boy just last year...forty years later. Similar thing would cost about £20 $40) today.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
I really have to chime in here..... Old guys live in the past..... so here is some of mine

My first really good bow was in 1966. A bear Super Kodiak.  Don't remember what I paid for it but gas in NJ was 23 cents/gal.

1966 GTO tri-power with 20K on it was $1500 from a friend of my Moms.  Like Mickey, the last vehicle I bought (Suburban) was $30+K.  That is more than double what my folks paid for a house in 1961 and it was a hell of a house.

I was a bit different in the job situation cause of playing in a rock band.... made a good bit of mone from 1965-67.  Kept me in arrows, bullets guns, bows and, oh yea.... girls.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©