3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer spotting wildlife camera's (pics)  (Read 194 times)

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Deer spotting wildlife camera's (pics)
« on: November 11, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
I seen a video clip on the management advantage website about deer seeing wildlife cameras.
I placed my camera off of a trail across the property. The does picked up on it right away. So I made an adjustable camera mount and put the camera up about 10ft looking down.

Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Strutter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer spotting wildlife camera's (pics)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
I think they have you patterned.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
This is close to a fence, I cut a section of wovewire fence down to make it easier for them traveling east/west.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
I wonder if the camera makes noise or they see a light.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
I only been getting pics of small bucks until I set it up in the air. I noticed the bucks that were moving towards the fence did not pick up on the camera.
Here is one of them, I have not been able to get no decent bucks on camera until this week. They are cruzing around checking scrapes.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
another, I did not know these bucks were around. Makes me wonder if I would have caught them if I would not have raised the camera.

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
I found my wildgame innovations would make a light shutter click which they would look at. Didn't seem to keep them from returning.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Canyon:
I found my wildgame innovations would make a light shutter click which they would look at. Didn't seem to keep them from returning.
Same here except I have a couple Primos TruthCam 35 camears, they make a very audible noise when the shutter opens.  Doesn't seem to cause any issues though and it has actually helped me get some very nice, clear pics of buck racks with them staring right into the lense.
"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 12:29:00 AM »
I had a camera out last summer on a short over night camping trip.  The 1st picture was a bear from 20 yards, the 2nd picture was totally black. the 3rd picture was from a camera that was tipped 20 degrees!  darn bears away.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 05:41:00 AM »
They must see the light come on when traveling West. The reconyx does not make no noise that I can hear. Watching several pictures, some of them are not having a good reaction to the lens.

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 07:26:00 AM »
I believe the HC500 has visible illumination so it is definitely visible to critters and humans.

A mistake us humans tend to make is judging action/reaction by animals based upon our limited senses.  Just because we cannot sense something doesn't mean critters cannot.  I read where the HC600 was "covert" and I researched it and others thoroughly.

What I found viewing many chips is that "none" were invisible in the sense critters knew they were having their photos taken.  Reaction to the cameras were varied over a long period of time.

The HC600 is basically invisible to humans unless one is right next to it.  During my research I viewed a clip of a coyote that turned, looked at the HC600, walked over to it and gave it a good, once over, all the while having it's mug taken, then walked off, not disturbed in the least.  

I have enough experience with the HC600 to know that deer and other critters know its taking photos, but seem to have little issue with it.  They continue to walk, feed or  browse past with little more than an acknowledgement that it's there.

The following is the fourth photo of a grey fox that stopped when the HC600 took it picture.  The series shows it turning, walking up to the camera and in this final photo is standing up and checking it out.

I have 5 photos of the same large, male  bobcat, on the same trail, walking past the HC600 at less than two feet and paying it no attention.  Deer routinely look at the HC600 but ignore it.

My conclusion with the HC600 is that critters are seeing or hearing stuff we humans cannot, but whatever it is doesn't seem to bother them.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
good insight Cliff,
A few years ago, I went out to Barry Wensel's when he had his clinic's, to look at properties. Gene had a huge sheds from a buck two years in a row but they could not get the buck on Camera. Makes me wonder how well they know their surroundings. I will camoflage mine from now on and have it elevated regardless. I did not know these bucks were in the area and I have my camera out all year.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©