3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: trad during gun season?  (Read 571 times)

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: trad during gun season?
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
I have Miss Hope for the month of Dec.  When I signed up for that I was thinking about time off and all of the deer I have killed in late season. I totally forgot that with Indiana's season changes that there are only 7 days in Dec. without guns going off.

I will be out there orange on head and Hope in hand trying to get it done on public land.  :D  

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
I have been hunting a bow only zone this year, gun starts next week here and I will be out of town for a couple of days, I'm thinking about just staying in the bow zone for the rest of the season......1st time in over 40+ years I have not had a gun in my hand in the fall. I guess I can't kill a deer with my bow if I carry a gun.....funny how things change!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
I bow hunt duruing the Mich firearm season. Being a ground hunter, I position myself on the edges of really thick cover. Nothing against the guys and gals that like to firearm hunt, I simply lost my desire to kill deer with a gun. If all goes well the hunters in the other woodlots will do most of the work for me. Good Luck.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
Count me in!, ill still be out there with my longbow in hand. I guess for me, the love of the hunt with trad. gear far outweighs just putting meat in the freezer.
Theres just something magical about getting it done (or not) with stick and string.

Offline greenbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
I too hunt with longbow during all seasons.  My main reason is I shoot everyday with the longbow, and don't have the trigger time for myself to feel comfortable.  So much at stake when it's point and shoot.  Orange is a must, during gun season here.  Despite hunting on private property I have people trespass each and every year.  Last year I had a 20-something kid walk about fifteen yards in front of my stand like he was in battle- I spoke out "they didn't come this way." He stopped, looked around and up at me and huffed off like I ruined his day.  I saw him go back to the property line and tell his buddy where they both were looking through the brush trying to find me.  Weekend City Slickers...  ;)

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
I bowhunt during all seasons. One thing to remember is to get as far away from the nearest area where guns are going off.
James Kerr

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
I love to gun hunt Sika deer and make no bones about it. Deer camp at its finest with old friends. But I take a bow and spend a couple of nights out with the bow too. Best of both worlds to me.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
I prefer the bow! Been hunt'n gun season with my trad gear for years so I figure why stop now. I dont like being out there with the orange army, but I'll endure it!
Good luck feller's!

Jason

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
My guns have been put away just because I get more satisfaction with bow in hand.

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
I will have both weapons hanging in my tree with me this coming Saturday.
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
I have bow hunted through gun season for many years and have no problems with it.After all, I can only hunt those animals within about 20 yards of me, so the distant boom of the guns don't bother me. I've noticed it doesn't really bother the deer unless very, very close. They often don't even look up at the sound of a rifle. Its the little bump of my bow against the stand that really turns them inside out.Fortunately, hunting pressure around my place is not excessive, so movement through the area does not seem to change in the gun season.
Sam

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
we are and have always been bow only - as gun seasons open we do move to bow zones in several states - urban bow units - blackbeard island - and we have a few clubs that are bow only. Back in the 70s & 80s I did hunt with a bow during gun seasons but now there is just plenty of opportunity to get away and stay away from gun hunters and gun season.
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
I love all aspects of hunting.I was a gun hunter long before bow hunting was common, and have used much of what I learned from those years in my pursuit with the bow and arrow.Here where I live the deer have to be keen to survive.Any hunting, no matter what the instrument used, is a challenge and a great tradition. No hunting is just killing when it's applied sportingly and with fair chase. Some people I regret to say don't care about FAIR OR ETHICAL and that hurts all our immage as responsible SPORTSMAN.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline JO_EZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
There is a time and place for everything.

I love sitting in a thick patch of brush, 10 yards from a good trail with my long bow. But, I also, love chucking patched round balls down range in a cloud of white smoke.
I started shooting a longbow because I thought it would simplify things and it did... now I simply need to get a whole lot closer to hit anything.

Work'n when I have to, fish'n when I can...

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
I inadvertently did yesterday. Trying to enjoy the wood on the last day of archery season here in PA, thought I had the game lands to myself. Two hours after I settle in some wahoo decides to sight in his shotgun using a bunch of pumpkins for targets. Nothing but gunshots all morning and the road out was lined with holey pumpkins. I went in deeper to avoid the racket but didn't see a thing all day.    :mad:

Wondering if I'll be able to stomach the noise and frustration when rifle season kicks in, but hate to miss out on those beautiful woods!

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
It depends where the deer are moving. I enjoy hunting regardless of the weapon. I also have some stands that are unhuntable with bows so I take the weapon most suited to the hunt at hand. The only real downside I've noticed hunting in general gun is that more people end up in the woods.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
I haven't picked up a rifle in years. It's rifle season here and has been since mid October; if you want to hunt deer in the rut, you are competing with the rifle guys. I hear gunshots just about every time I go out, but I'm lucky to have some places where the orange army doesn't go..
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »
I bow hunt right thru firearm season, which starts on thurs here in Michigan! Not many gun hunters around me but there are road hunters which are scary cause they never know what or who is in the woods when they shoot! I may load up the Thompson Ctr Renegade and hunt some round ball!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
Still injured so not this year, but I have always kept hunting with the bow here in shotgun season.
Last year was a bad one though, hoards of ATV's brought wave after wave of groups of shotgun hunters. They were doing massive pushes leaving no stone unturned, jogging through the swamps and thickets pushing to set up shooters. I thought I was in deep, but I was wrong.
It was disheartening, and ruined my enjoyment.
I wont hunt opening day around here anymore.
I'll wait till late season when its cold.
David M. Conroy

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
This is Butch on Mudd's computer. That's what we're doing this week. It's gun season in Mo. & we're out with our longbows. Bunch of Fun.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©