3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: binoculars and glasses?  (Read 460 times)

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
binoculars and glasses?
« on: November 12, 2012, 08:01:00 AM »
A couple years ago I had to start wearing glasses.  ah, the joys of aging... anyway, I can't see squat through my binoculars with my glasses on and I was hoping some of you good folks could recommend a model of binos that works well with glasses.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: binoculars and glasses?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 08:09:00 AM »
I have the same issue. I'll be watching this too.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »
I was the same way. I see well at distances without glasses but would prefer to wear my glasses at all times. I just got the Vortex Viper's HD in 6 X 32. Even though on other binos I feel like I have to take my glasses off and hold them while using them, with the Vipers, I can still wear my glasses and do great. I really like the Vipers. The eye cups have adjustable positions that seem to fit my situation.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »
I can relate. Everything started falling apart when I hit 40. The glasses/bino problem is something I had to learn to deal with too. After 13yrs I still fight with my glasses while hunting.

Even if you do find user friendly binos you're probably going to leave a mark on your glasses lens from the contact. If you are like me a tiny smudge drives me nuts.

Here's what I do........hold the glasses in my teeth, or stick the glasses up on my forehead while glassing. Sometimes I'll wear contacts on a hunt but they are a pain in the arse if it's windy or really dry.

Stinks getting old.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »
I've worn glasses since I was 12 (we'll just say a looong time    :)  )  and it always seemed like binos and glasses just didn't mix. I've had ny Swarovski 8 x 30's for about 15 years or so and they have cups that twist in for glasses or out for those without. This effectively keeps the eye relief the same for everybody. I never remove my glasses to sit and glass anymore. Seems to work fine for me, though they can smudge your glasses some so you have to clean them more frequently.   :dunno:
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
I've worn glasses for most of my life and have had no problems with binoculars that I've had over the years.  Leica, Swarovski, and some old Bushnell Customs.  All have had either the twist in eye cups or fold down rubber eye cups.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
I have a pair of Swarovski 8.5x42 ELs, and aside from the stellar optics, the fact I could see the full field while wearing my glasses was the clincher for me.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
Swarovski 8x30 SLC and 7.42 SLC don't give me any problems.  Had both those binocs for 10 years or so and they are spectacular.

Also my want to take a look at the updated Leupold binocs.  They are super impressive for the money.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
The same as "Elkchaser",  except I have Leica's, no problem seeing through them.
Conny

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
I'm blind as a bat without my glasses, but I haven't had a problem using binoculars with my glasses on. The only major issue for me is getting them with screw up/down eyecups that stay where you put them. Some glasses are pretty sloppy and others have good detentes that hold where I put them.

They also have to have a fairly long eye relief, but most good glasses have that now because so many of us are living longer and do wear eyeglasses.

The golden years aren't all they're cracked up to be, but using binoculars is one of the few things I can still do OK   :(
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
From a quality of life perspective, one of the best things I have ever done was to get contacts.  I fought with glasses in so many ways for about a decade before I saw the light.  If contacts are an option, I highly recommend them.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by John Scifres:
From a quality of life perspective, one of the best things I have ever done was to get contacts.  I fought with glasses in so many ways for about a decade before I saw the light.  If contacts are an option, I highly recommend them.
Tried contacts recently, and it was a disaster.  In theory I should be able to use them, but it just didn't work for me.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 01:18:00 PM »
I have worn glasses all my life.  I use to have the problem with cheap bino's, but I bought some Nikon Monarch's and Vortex and have not issue.  I believe it is the diopter setting that mess's us up.  I think if you go to a hunting store, they should have a nice selection to look at, this is what I did and like a bow tried them all.  Once other thing.  Don't get price shock!  A decent pair of bino's will run 200 or more, but ensure that they come with lifetime warranty.  It will be an investment to last your lifetime and easier on eyes.  Two years ago, I had my vortex's for 3 years, and noticed the focus knob was really loose but gettin up and down tree.  I emailed them and they said ship it.  I had my Bino's back in a week, they fixed the problem and cleaned them up so good I emailed them to see if they replaced them, they said nope just part of our lifetime commitment, was well worth the money.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
Glasses most of my life, blind in left eye and cant see out of the other (with out my glasses) literally
    :saywhat:   I have always used the cheep binos, it was hard for me to spend the money on a good set but finely bit the bullet and got a pair of Vortex Viper's HD in 10 X 40 (Im in the west). Best thing i ever did, i fold down the eye cups and use with my glasses.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
I wear glasses as well. I have found that adjusting the eye cups down and pressing them against my glasses works best. I hate to take off my glasses because I am usually alternating between binos and glasses. The deer are never that close. ((:

Martin

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
Contacts do make it easier-no question. Coupla' years ago I got some higher quality 6x32 binocs and that seems to be the ticket to use with glasses-for me anyway. That, and just relaxing a bit when I use the binocs; the 6x32's are ideal for spot and stalk and picking fur out of brush.

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
I have a pair of leopold binoculars with pull out eyecups that work just fine for me when I am wearing my glasses.  It is much more comfortable to wear contacts though.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
Yep, Swarovskis work just fine for me, cannot see squat without my glasses anymore.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
I have been wearing glasses since 4th grade and am now 56 so a long time. I don't have any problem with binos and my glasses, but I think it is what you get used to. My Swarovskis with the fold down rubber cups or the screw in eyepieces make it easy. You just adjust it for what's comfortable for you and leave it. It drives anybody else who wants to use them nuts but then nobody asks to borrow them either.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline bbold

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
If you wear glasses you have to roll the eye cups down.
James

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©