3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Have the Iowa Wensel twins scored yet?  (Read 912 times)

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Have the Iowa Wensel twins scored yet?
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »
Barry and Gene:

I have followed you guys for a long time and you have taken some really nice animals.  I never tire of hearing your stories.

Congrats to you, Gene on a fine animal.  Barry...What were you thinking??????

God bless, guys.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
I sure hope somebody makes a movie about you guys!  Seriously, before you both turn 50.  :)

You guys are admired by a lot of us in the hinterlands.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
Imagine the perfect Whitetail woods, rolling hills, rotational crops, consistent winds, the right amount of pressure. Thats what I saw when I went to Iowa. Great Management.  Perfect, is all I need to say. Hope to get back there some day.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
Are ya'll hearing any gobbling?
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
Great bucks...  just finished reading Gene's latest book....and started Barry's.  Always great reads....though I REALLY REALLY REALLY miss their RAMBLIN REDNECK stories in the older PBS Magazines.  When I was in military overseas....I would be crying and rolling reading some of their stories....I remember the bear carcass they threw off a bridge...hahahahaha

Anyhow....great hunters, great guys and have enjoyed knowing them through the PBS and their writings even if from afar.  I met Roger Rothhaar a few years ago in a bear camp in Saskatchewan....met Fred Anderson at ETAR a couple years in a row....maybe one day I can meet the Wensels, John Strunk, and Dick Robertson and complete my bucket list of people I respect as hunters and as people.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by joebuck:
Are ya'll hearing any gobbling?
Joey if bucks gobble then they are hearing em.
I've always admired the twins persistence and dedication to chasing whitetails.  Keep after em boys.

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
Glad to see the boys are still doing what they do best nicely done Gene, cant wait to hear the story. I wouldnt want to be on Barry hit list he get it done.

Offline T Mowery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
Thank's for the Pic's Barry!You FINE Gentelman,do it your way, with much admiration by those that follow behind your exploits!You are both Examples, to those that need to take it to the next level!Live Long and Prosper Barry & Gene.
PS I Love Gene's Shirt!
I think food is important and if you don't know how to cook, it's tragic." Julia Child

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
Congratulations again Gene. Nice Buck!!!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
i always enjoy the stories and pics. keep us updated   :wavey:

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
I love you Guys. Anyone that lets Biggie hang around some has to be good people.I enjoy anything you guys write or film. God bless,RC.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
Irregardless of the bowyer, the bow is only as good as the man holding it.

For me, heros of our sport.  Whitetails beware.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
Awesome deer! You guys are trail blazers. Always a pleasure to see what the two of you are up to.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Mike Theis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
Nice deer Gene. Good luck Barry, patience can pay off big time.

(Got a deer named Big Time?)
If man were to know everything in advance, there would be no such thing as adventure!

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »
Beautiful buck!  What's the deal with the rope?

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2012, 06:09:00 AM »
Ho hum, just another GREAT deer from the twins. Barry, here's hoping that you are fully recovered and ready to drag another big deer out of the woods.
You guys need to reprint "And the Horse You Rode In On"; my copy was destroyed, and it was one of a very few books that made me laugh out loud.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2012, 06:20:00 AM »
As always, very impressive whitetails. Every year I look forward to "show and tell" time from the Wensels. Good luck to both of them the rest of the season.

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
I guess it's time to tell the story even though I'll upset the guy not liking us talking about ourselves. We went into this season feeling very optimistic, having run trail cameras all spring and summer and through October during my hanging rope project. I got photos of multiple great bucks ripen to "come of age." We like to actually get into the woods, unlike most of today's modern bowhunters who often restrict their hunts to food plot edges. Everything was going as planned until right around Halloween, when the acorn crop depleted. Several neighboring farms still have standing corn and beans. Many of the deer, especially the does, moved to the buffets. We were seeing less than half of normal deer numbers with a very high percentage of immature bucks, very few does, compounded by warm temps, high winds, east winds, etc. On November 9th, I chose to sit a stand we call "Side Saddle." I rattled in two immature bucks but both came in from behind me, not the direction I expected. The wind was not as predicted so about 9am I climbed down to check the wind at another stand we call "Crossfire." Not good there either, so I moved over the ridge to a stand we call "Ashes." That was good to go. About 9:30 I was settled in and rattled the antlers. A one antlered forkhorn came running in. I filmed him walk past. Ten minutes later, I heard what I like to hear in November, the chop/chop of running deer with a tending grunt. A doe came past followed by a nice heavy 5x5 buck. They passed broadside at 20 yards but the buck never stopped to offer a shot. They finally stopped at 30 yards back in some brush. I watched the buck mount the doe once, then a minute later, he bred her a second time. Obviously these whitetail bucks "heal up" after sex a whole lot quicker than I do! I was in the middle of trying to decide whether to name this doe "Juicy Lucy" or "Sweaty Betty" when she went into the "honeymoon pose" with her back arched, doing whatever they do to move the love juices from the "play pen" up into the "baby carriage." She then walked down the ridge to bed down 15 yards crosswind from me while the big guy stood guard back in the brush for 8 or 10 minutes. About then, I saw the forkie arrive back on the scene. Suddenly the big buck decided to leave. I guess he was done with her and started up the ridge. I wheezed. When I did, the doe jumped up, the forkie charged in and she actually allowed the teenager to mount her when the big guy had second thoughts about the deal and came back to intervene. When he cleared the brush at 15 yards, I shot. I saw blood instantly and knew he was in deep trouble. Everyone in the party departed in three different directions. I sat back down to soak in the moment, planning on waiting an hour or so before taking the trail. This is what I live for. About 20 minutes later, I heard more running deer. It was the same doe followed by the forkie and a new 5x4 they had picked up along the way. The 5x4 ran off the forkie, then mounted the doe right in front of my stand. I had the camcorder going by then. A minute later, they came right under my stand and he mounted her again. That made five times she had been bred by three different bucks! We need more slut does like her! They moved up the ridge, she bedded again and the 5x4 stood guard duty. By then, I needed to climb down so I dropped my rattling antlers and lowered my bow. They both moved off. I had a good blood trail that lead right to my buck. He is a nice heavy ten point, probably 5 1/2 years old according to his teeth. I found it interesting that I had no trail camera photos of him, meaning he was either camera shy or just passing through the area. I shot him with my old 55# 58" Morrison Dakota that Bob built me in 2000. I used some sort of three blade broadhead named after my daddy. Another great memory. I am blessed.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Gene and a hearty congratulations! This is the "taxidermist from Brooklyn". Dont know if you remember me but I sure remembner you! I could "see" what you write. Thanks again for sharing your hunt. .........Philip PS: I swear by those 3 blade heads named after your Dad also!
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
Way to go Gene. Thanks for teaching me "the rope trick". They're still working here in VA.

Kyle

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©