3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrow help  (Read 116 times)

Offline Whelen35

• Trad Bowhunter
arrow help
« on: November 05, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »
Hello, new here and I have some questions.  I have not shot a non-wheeled bow for close to 30 years.  I have gotten the bug, and now own a Jerry hill long bow.  It is 68" long and 50@28.  I have been shooting some old 2117 arrows 29.5" with 125gr feild points.  My arrows seem to be slightly tip feft nock tipping to the right when hitting my target at 20 yards.  I have also shot 2018 arrows 29" with the same tips with the same results tip left nock right.  All of my carbon arrows are plastic fletch so I have not shot them at all.  Penitration is very simulas to my 50lbs wheel bow when shooting th 2117 arrow.  accuracy is good when I do my part.  Do I need to try more arrow sizes to get perfect straight line penitration?  Perhaps 40% of the time with the 2117's arrows seem to be entering and going straight.  Could it be my form or lack there of? Any and all suggestions are welcomed.  Thanks, and this fun making it challanging again.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrow help
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
Whelen 35 -- great old cartridge!  This is a shooting FORM forum and I think you will get more and better answers on the Pow Wow.

For a 50# + or - bow, look at 2016s.  2117s will be too stiff for your set up.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Whelen35

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
I will give them a try, where in MN are you from?  I have a lake cabin in the lake park area and live half way between the Fargo and Grand forks area.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »
Whelen,

I'm in Grand Rapids.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Whelen35

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
Well, I have tried a few different arrows and the 1916's are shooting the best for me.  Thank you for the help.  Next year I am going to try my hand at deer with the longbow.  Having only been shooting it for about a month now, I feel that by next fall the deer will at least be at risk if under 20 yards.  I had feered that with my sholder injurys a trditional bow would not be for me, but I am glad to say so far so good. I had gon to a 50lb compound with 80% letoff because my shholder could not handle higher poundage.  A Hill style bow seems very smooth and my body can handle the 50lbs I am very happy right now, but have to replace some nocks on my new arrows they are flying very good now!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©