3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bees and Broadheads  (Read 345 times)

Offline MCS

• Trad Bowhunter
Bees and Broadheads
« on: August 15, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
They do not mix! While doing some shooting today in the backyard I shot into my block target and was attacked by bees while pulling my arrows. Now, your first reaction while being stung is to swing wildly....I don't know which is worse, the bee stings or the cuts from the broadheads. I didn't feel the broadhead cuts until it was all over. So my advise is...always check your targets for bees!
Mike

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bees and Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 06:27:00 PM »
i knew this was bad just from the thread title alone,,,hope it ain't all that bad. godspeed on healing your wounds.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 10:51:00 PM »
wow....I though you were gonna ask which broadhead to use for bees.  I thought...this guy is a REAL good shot !
ChuckC

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 11:46:00 PM »
:scared:    :eek:    :eek:    :eek:    :(    :(
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 05:50:00 AM »
Pictures, please!  :bigsmyl:  
Seriously, hope you are ok and heal quick.
Dan

Offline Shad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »
I got sent to the hospital from a hornet attack one year. They had a nest built into a hoile in my target. It was spring time and I went to get my target out of the shed to start my spring training as I call it. I know longer got out of the shed when I recieved the first sting.....32 stings later I was in the ER swollen up and looking like Rocky Dennis from the movie Mask. That was the last time I ever grabbed a target and not checked it for a nest first.
~Shad~
PBS Associate Member

Robert "Boo Boo" Benson
10-12-36 to 02-06-11
My Gramps, my mentor, my best friend

"The measure of a bowhunter is not how many animals he takes each year, but how he does it. " - Jay Massey

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 09:00:00 AM »
Remember, bees can smell fear!  Not really, but I've always thought that line was funny.

Offline NCRecurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
Yellow jackets got in one of my foam targets one year.  I moved it a little to shoot and luckily I had backed off before they started swarming.  I waited until just before dark the next night and slipped a giant black trash bag over it and put a twist tie on it.  A couple of days in the NC summer sun and they were baked and crispy.    :)   Hope the wounds continue to heal, neosporin is your friend.

Doug

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
As far as broadheads go, I find Stingers work best for bees.   :bigsmyl:

Seriously, sorry to hear about your encounter.  Hope you can get back on track real soon.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline Murph From The Bay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
LMAO - That is awesome!!  Hope you are o.k though.  Good story.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
Bees and Yellow jackets seam to like to live behind the paper targets at our club....
    Heal well, and next time have someone video it for us....Nothing funnyer than the getting away from bees dance....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline MCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 05:15:00 PM »
Nothing to serious. Thanks for the kind words. I felt really foolish when it first happened but I haven't stopped laughing about the getting away from the bees dance.  I'm just glad no one was standing next to me when it happened.  Have a great season!

Mike

Offline bishs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »
I was bowhunting turleys in Kansas one hot afternoon. I slid on my shooting glove, and there was a Yellow Jacket in one of my glove fingers! Wow, did that smart. For the next month, I would squeeze each finger in my shooting glove before putting it on...

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »
one of the first dirty jokes I ever heard in my life had the punchline,"Ugh me checkem for bees first."
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline kcbrown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 12:06:00 AM »
Thats a funny joke too C2. We got into yellow jackets last year weed eating paths to stands. Some of you may have stands that stay up all year. Make sure you check for wasps in them too.
She said " did you see that?" He said "Of course!!!" She said " Why did you step in it then?"

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 07:05:00 AM »
OUCH! I hate bee stings

Back in my younger mre foolish days a buddy and I were out stumping and came across a tree that had a big hole in it and bees were all around the hole. I challenged my buddy to pull an arrow that I was going to shoot into the hole. I did, he ran in and got it and ran back with the arrow unscathed. So he shot it, and I ranin and got it and brought it back unscathed. The bees were getting kind of agitated and we should have quit then but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I shot it into the hole and this time when he went in to get it the bees figured it out and jump all over him. He had this head full of curly hair and the bees were intangled in it. He threw down his bow and took off running thru the woods (screaming like a little girl I might add) and you could see a trail of bees following him thru the woods. I walked over and got his bow and made a circular route in the direction he had run off to. They stung him quite a few times but later we got a good laugh out of it. I never got stung once.We never bothered that tree again I'll tell you that.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 07:57:00 AM »
They  ARE NASTY  Little Buggers if Ya Make 'Em Mad!! I found that out in 3rd Grade. I was Simply Standing on a Stump, which just so happened to be  THEIR  Stump!!  :scared:    :scared:  
They Smelled  FEAR  :scared:    that Day!! I looked like a Baking Soda Monster!! If I See  ANY  Bees, I give them a  LOTS  of Space!!  :thumbsup:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 01:02:00 PM »
Being allergic to those criters, I find all of this disturbing.....

Glad to hear you are okay.  Just a word of cautiuon to all of you, a reaction can happen at any time.  I had been stung before without any issues.  Then one time....

If you know you are going to be around bees, at least keep some benedryl around.  Might save you or your kid's life.

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©