3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Savannah limb twist  (Read 273 times)

Offline Trad Whitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
Savannah limb twist
« on: November 13, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
So I ordered a new 60lb Martin Savannah for a very good price.  When I received the bow I strung it up (with my stringer) and low and behold the bottom limb is twisted!  Pretty bad too.  I am waiting to hear back from the seller (who originally told me to contact Martin because it is under warranty and Martin then told me to contact the seller lol) but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.  I was kind of shocked as I figured longbows and hybrids were less prone to twisting and I was considering switching from my Hunter (great bow) to a Savannah for this very reason.  Any thoughts?

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Savannah limb twist
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
I have looked at a bunch of them, they all had that to some degree.
 I just shot em that way. Then I picked up the Hill style...................

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »
does it really matter with a longbow? The string doesn't contact the limbs. I remember watching some show and the guy made a bow out of a twisted up piece of Osage, it looked like a snake, and he said it didn't matter. Seems like his name was Thornberry or something like that.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
I'm not familar with a martin but I do know of others who had simular problems with other bows. What they did was to put the twisted part of the limb over a teakettle and steam the limb while twisting the limb in the other direction to get the twist out. Maybe the bow was strung without a stringer and thats why martin is voiding the warranty. Or maybe it was stored leaning against a corner or leaned against a wall. Another thing would be if the bow had an object laying on the limb while in storage. all this would void warranty. I hope you can resolve this issue and am sorry to hear about stuff like this.

Offline Trad Whitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
No the bow came new, still in the box / plastic, etc. sealed from the factory.  It is a "cosmetic blemish" bow (finish is not perfect) but the warranty is good as far as function / workmanship.  I called Martin, told them about it, and they said to go through the company I bought it from.  I know on the recurve I fixed, it would still bend out slightly every once in a while and never did stay where it was supposed to.  I also saw one unstring itself due to a twisted limb and I don't want that to happen here!  On this Savannah I would not be concerned with a little twist, but is bad enough I am concerned that it will eventually twist it further over time and eventually break it.  I would estimate it is a good 1" out of alignment.  When you line up the string with the center of the bow the string actually runs down the side of the lower limb starting about 1/2 of the way down!  I would never shoot a recurve that was in this condition but I don't have much experience with longbows. Would this bow be safe to shoot?  Like I said, the upper limb is perfect.

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
i used to have one and the limbs were nice and straight, i wish i had never gotten rid of that bow

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
It's my primary bow. No problems. Limbs are straight and I love that bow!

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
I thought limb twist was a recurve issue, never seen it on a LB. ???

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 06:36:00 AM »
nope, mine are straight
Shoots really great, even though I dont
Slickhead

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
If you look at enough bows, even customs, you will be surprised at how many don't even have their strings lined up!

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
I straightened a limb on a Bear Grizley I picked up at a flea market for 50.00. I ran very warm but not hot tap water over the limb and twisted it the opposite dirrection of the twist.It straightened it out with follow up twisting as discribed.Shoots great, don't know if this would be enough to straighten a long bow limb or not, but it wouldn't hurt to try.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Trad Whitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by myshootinstinks:
I thought limb twist was a recurve issue, never seen it on a LB. ???
Me too - that is why I thought I would ask about it.  I too have fixed a twisted recurve limb, but this thing looks a little more touchy to fix  with the severity of twist and I had never heard of it happening.  It is bad enough that if it was a recurve I have no doubt it would have just unstrung itself.   The seller is going to get back to me soon and he will probably just replace it, but since the situation was one I had never heard of I thought I would inquire about it. This is typical of my luck though - possibly the only twisted Savannah ever and I wound up with it.   :knothead:

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Trad Whitetail:
So I ordered a new 60lb Martin Savannah for a very good price.  When I received the bow I strung it up (with my stringer) and low and behold the bottom limb is twisted!  Pretty bad too.  I am waiting to hear back from the seller (who originally told me to contact Martin because it is under warranty and Martin then told me to contact the seller lol) but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.  I was kind of shocked as I figured longbows and hybrids were less prone to twisting and I was considering switching from my Hunter (great bow) to a Savannah for this very reason.  Any thoughts?
Apparently this is not an isolated issue. One of the guys who shoot at my local range,picked one up from Cabelas.,and has the same issue. The newer Savannah is quite different from the older ones. Mine is from 2006,no issues,another guy I know has an 2006,no issues. They are definitely building that bow differently.

Offline crossstickspro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Martin, IMO, Is/has not really going/gone in the right direction. I have an older sav. and had a hat. TD, The sav. is my go to. the hartfield I sent back due to a limb delam. and they fixed it no questions asked (5 years ago). Since then, I have heard nothing but bad things.
Crossstickspro, Not my name ... more of a goal

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
I had one with a twisted limb, I talked to Joel at Martin and they made it right.  this was back about 5 years....
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©