3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Acceptable risk?  (Read 550 times)

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Acceptable risk?
« on: August 15, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
I guess this is a spin on the how good of groups do I need to hunt question?

I'm new coming over to the trad thing. Using a compound, when I released the arrow there was almost no doubt of me ending up with a dead deer and a short blood trail.

I wish I had that confidence with my long bow. There is no doubt I "could" kill a deer with it, but there is also a very real chance I could wing one, which I would take quite personally. I am a good tracker, and know my hunting areas well, but I'm just not sure if I am ready to hunt yet. I'm shooting nothing over 15 yds, and many times I make a nice killing shot, but too many times for my liking its a shoulder, guts or other not good shot placement.

I guess long story short is how much risk is acceptable? 7 of 10 perfect 9 of 10, 10 of 10? How do you gauge it?

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Acceptable risk?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
where does you first arrow (out of the ten) go?
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
The answer you are seeking is only one that you can gauge. Bad shots happen even when everything seems right. I would suggest that you go out and hunt but be willing to lose one if it happens. If I did not take a shot because something might happen, then I would never take a shot. Practice is great but the hunting pressure is a bit of a different situation, Experience is the Key IMHO
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 06:59:00 PM »
Go kill some squirrels and get the feel.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »
yup,,,what Ron said. hunting is a lot more than just shooting. for me,,,i'll be working on getting well into my effective range,,,cuts down on variables.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »
You have to be confident in your shooting. Confidence comes with time and practice. If you only feel good about 15 yds or so, that's your limit. I've missed close shots and hit longer shots. You're the only one who knows when you're ready.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »
I struggled many years with that, and it kept me from my true joy a traditional bow. Finally enough was enough and I band the gizmos. All I can say is if you have it in your heart. Practice Practice and Practice some more. Find whats comfortable for you. Keep a open mind to try new ways, listen to these guys. Take from it what works for YOU. Limit yourself only by your confidence. The very worst thing you can do is go into the woods defeated, sitting thinking and haunted I cannot.

You can if you have a mind to!

Brent

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »
I worried about the same thing in the past. I know my range and don't exceed it. The limit I set upon myself is the arrow has to go with in a baseball size area of where I was aiming. For me that's 20 yards. The closer I get the more arrows I break. I can make killing shots out to 30 yards but not consistently enough for me so I wouldn't try it on a live animal.

How often do you practice? I try and shoot a dozen arrows before work everyday and shoot for an hr or so after work, that has got me pretty deadly out to 20 yards. Now I just need to back up 5 more yards till I get good there.

Stump shooting will give you a good idea of just how good or bad you are with unknown yardages and field conditions plus it's fun.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
Go out and hunt with your bow.  Nothing says you have to take the shot when it presents itself.  You will gain confidence and experience the more you carry your bow afield.  Ron and Vermonster offered some good advice.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »
most of the animals I kill are at 5 to 10 yards...
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline San Juan Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
It's been about 23 years since I started archery with a compound because it was all I could find in archery shops.  Because I wanted to be traditional from the start, I switched from the compound as soon as I met some guys shooting longbows and recurves.  I didn't have the rangefinders and releases that are used today, but I missed plenty with my compound.  I found that in hunting situations my shooting with recurves and longbows was just as reliable, if not more so, than my compound shooting.  You do have to have your personal limits.

Mike

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
I haven't shot at/killed a big game animal further than 25 yards (and only one time at that range) in the last 15 years.

My average kill shot since the early 80's is 21.5 yards. I killed a lot of game in the last 23 or so years, too.

My first big game Trad kill last year was 21 yards.

Bowhunting, be it with Trad or Modern tackle, isn't about how far you can shoot, it's about how close you can get...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
Are you worried about wounding one?  Or, are you worried about not getting one?  Either way, you just have to get past that and make the hunt just a hunt.  You'll pretty much know when you can make the shot.  My last three bucks killed were 7, 16, and 12 yards.

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 09:42:00 PM »
I'm not worried about a shot range, or wanting to be able to shoot further, even with my wheels, 90% of my shots are 13 yds and under. So its all about letting them get close.

I had practiced all summer, with a lot of it shooting at apples, leaves or grass clumps on the ground. I was doing great, tons of confidence. THen about a month ago it all collapsed. I don't know what happened. Bow is set at the nock and brace height from the shop. Arrows fly great sometimes. Stack them in. but my shooting just varies so much from day to day its gotten into my head. I just have no confidence even within my "comfort" range. I've got a long season and what I think I will do if I'm not 100% on deer, is go small gaming. There are TONS of squirrels around and one place is loaded with rabbits to stalk up on. I'l lgive that a shot. I still love shooting, I'm just not that good right now.
Thanks for all the advice.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »
Right before any hunting season I adopt a ritual wherein I wake every morning, go out on my deck and, without warming up, shoot at one of the animal targets that I place at varying distances in my yard. When I can place that first arrow in the kill zone the overwhelming majority of the time; I feel pretty confident I am ready to go hunting-skill-wise, "focus-wise", etc. (I have a bad habit of dropping shooting during ski season and my early season regression shows it-form sloppy, beginner mistakes, lack of concentration etc. This little exercise helps bring me back. Oh! FROM NOW ON-NO MORE WINTER LAYOFFS)!    :biglaugh:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
Run through your shooting form mentally in super slow motion. There is "something" that your not doing (form wise) and this is making shooting inconsistant.
When things just are not right with my form. I set the bow down for a few days, then I shoot only for form. Standing three steps from my target shooting with my eyes closed to "get the right feel" again. Good archery is doing things the same (good form) way every time. 100% of the time for me when things go wrong it is a timing thing in my brain. Bow is on target too soon, ect. and my brain screams release... Timing.
I have watched some very good archers shoot over the years. Every one of them had great consistant form.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
Confidence is the key

Really there isn't no sure thing.
Lots can go wrong even at close range..

Thats hunting, if we took game everytime out it wouldn't be any fun..
  I've seen guys that couldn't  consistently hit targets, but when it came down to live animals they was extremely deadly shots.. confuses me.
Like some said....  
Its your decision!

Try shooting one arrow.
The first one is the one that really counts. Lots of walking, but similar to hunting shots..
  Relax, everything will come back together..
Happy Hunting

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
There's nothing wrong with how you are feeling. Its pretty natural to question yourself. You will know when its the right time. It is all about believing in yourself and have the confidence to go through with it. I would say 80% of my shots over years has been under 15 yards. Several of these were about 7 yards. Out of the 80% I have had 1 that we didn't find until the next day. The other 20% were shot between 15 to 25 yards (my person Max. distance). Even though I shoot 3D a bunch out to 50 yards I won't take a shot over 25 and even then it has to feel right. For a month before hunting season I practice 90% from a platform in the back yard as I struggle with shooting high on short range Game. This helps me build the confidence that I need. Just prepare yourself mentally as well as physically and the confidence will come. Most of all Enjoy!!!
Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
I like what curveman said.

My son and I play a game.  "One shot one kill"  We leave our bows by the front door and periodicly walk out and shoot one arrow.  It is the first one that counts we always tell ourselves.  

I find that I "miss" alot when I practice mutible arrows but I have never shot at a big game animal that I did not kill with one arrow.  Maybe lucky.  When hunting my mind goes blank and things just happen.  Rabbits with CK is the exception they just look smaller and smaller and I spend more time thinking about how hard it will be too find the arrow in the background.

Sounds like you are a woodsman just get so close you can't miss!

Good luck and had fun.
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
I just read my post and I think if you asked my wife and boss they would say my mind goes blank a lot more than just hunting!
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©