3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is it harder to shoot a long bow?  (Read 844 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Is it harder to shoot a long bow?
« on: August 15, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
Is it harder to master a long bow than it is a recurve. It's kind of to late to ask this seeing that I'm hooked on Hill's, I just want to know.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is it harder to shoot a long bow?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 06:51:00 PM »
Depends on the Bow... I would say.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
i'd say yes but i don't have much yrs in with a longbow to be of much credit. in my opinion the longbow was just harder to tune arrow wise,,,,,for me. good luck in your shooting!
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
It might not be harder. I can shoot my long bows as well as my recurves except for one which I shoot better.  That makes it real easy to pick an opening day bow from the rack.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 06:58:00 PM »
What Ron said.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
Yes and no. I shot recurves for decades, then bought my first longbow, a straight stick from a very famous maker. I couldn't hit poop with it (even elephant poop)and blamed it on being "a longbow" but didn't have a clue what the difference was. In the several years since, I've moved through a complete transition so that now I shoot by far better with longbows, esp. the reflex-deflex hybrids that are currently, and correctly, very popular. What I've determined for myself is the difference between the deep handgrip of the recurve, so that the pressure and balance are between index finger and thumb, and the flat or semi-flat grip of the longbow and most hybrids, where the focus is on the heel of the hand. So today, even wonderful hybrid longbows like the Black Widow, with deeper semi-recurve grips, I can't shoot well. My selfbows and more traditional straight-handled longbows, like the Lightning, and certainly the Hills, come naturally. So, bottom line, I'd say either can be well mastered, but switching takes some practice. It's all fun. dave

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
It depends on the individual. I have a hard time with a bow that has a straight or a low wrist grip. I can shoot an LB as well as a curve if it has a medium or high wrist grip. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
I've been shooting both for more than 40 years, though I've been shooting longbows almost exclusively for the past 15 years or so.  Recurves do have some inherent advantages.  All other things being equal, they generally draw a little smoother than longbows, they're generally faster for the same weight, which generally aids in hitting what you're shooting at, the usually larger and thus heavier riser mass adds more stability and reduces felt hand shock, and the fact that most are centershot makes them able to accept a wider range of arrow spines.  Of course, the hybrids meld most of these features with more of a longbow limb design, and they perform pretty close to most recurves, some better.

In my opinion, a Hill style bow and self-bows are among the more challenging longbows to master.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
What ORION says seems to be what I find as well....I shoot both, Prefer the Long bow for some reason, But I find the ability to shoot a RC is increased.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »
I am sure many of you remember a quote from Howard Hill that he "was not good enough to shoot a recurve."  
  :saywhat:  
I always found that interesting.   :confused:
Lon Scott

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »
They are all easy to shoot well if the bow is tillered properly and you take the time to tune it and the arrows it needs.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
Byron Ferguson states in a recent TB that the reason he does his trick shooting with a longbow is it is much more forgiving than a recurve. I shot a longbow better when I started but switched to a recurve because I liked the looks and genius of design about it. Now I shoot both.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
I shoot better with my friends recurve. But I admire and respect the longbow more, so I hunt with my longbow. I'm not saying I shoot bad with my longbow, just sayin I shoot a little better with recurves.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
I thought so, but then listened to Fred Asbell's advice...he says in one of his books that to learn a longbow, shoot nothing else for a year. I did that, and it worked. It's common sense if you think about it...dedicate some time to the bow, and you will figure it out. DON'T QUIT during the slumps!
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 10:07:00 PM »
p.s....for my money, a good locator grip is a trillion times easier to learn on than a HH style.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Stick'n'String

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »
I switched to a lonbow last year and prefer it, I think because of the light weight.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »
It is harder to torque the limbs of a longbow, which tends to make them more forgiving of poor releases...I need lots of forgiveness, so I shoot better with a longbow. My 50's style recurve is close, but still not as easy to shoot well as a longbow.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 11:53:00 PM »
You tell me bro....   I built this long bow in February, and the arrows in the photo were shot at 25 yards, and were built from 2 x 6's. These were out of the same batch I turned for you....

You think I'm ready to hunt with this bow yet? I'm no master, but I'm sure liking this long bow a lot....

PS: Have you got your woodies flying yet?

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 12:09:00 AM »
I shot longbows exclusively for many years, heavy weights,72-80#. Then oneday could not control my shot anymore.Could still pull the weight and hold at anchor but could not control the shot. Went down in weight and still could not control it. Switched to a curve and was right back in the game. I think it is the physical weight of the td curves I shoot making my bow arm steadier. For me, now the curves are definately easier to shoot but the hybrid td longbows are up there as well.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 12:55:00 AM »
To answer your question, no they're not harder to master imho. They're a little harder to tune at first, finding the right arrow spine and all, but once that's done it's just a matter of practice. I'm kinda opposite of a lot of folks because I find the recurve harder to master,not that I've mastered either one, but recurves to me are kinda finicky about release and grip.

Anyway, you mentioned that you're already hooked on Hill bows, so that should work out in your favor if you like em you'll keep shootin em and you're bound to improve if you stick to one bow.jmho
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©