3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is it harder to shoot a long bow?  (Read 840 times)

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is it harder to shoot a long bow?
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
Joey, How many of the longbow "rules" are designed to keep longbows behind "recurves"?? Limits on length, arrows, rests, centershot, ect...  It's that type of bureaucratic politics that has falsely molded the preception that longbows are inferior. Given a level playing field, good ones hold their own better then most would think....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
What about the way long bows are designed guys? they have heavier working limbs, and heavier tips than a recurve.....When we are talking heavier arrows, say 600-700 grains. i would have to say that a long bow could potentially out perform the recurve...with lighter arrows The recurve rules.... henceforth competition & 3D champs most popular choice..

i know the question was "Is it easier to shoot"....but from a bow builders outlook, a hybrid long bow with a shaped grip should be the most desirable choice of bow for casting heavy arrows for hunting.....am i wrong here?

Kirk

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »
Kirk, Yes you are!   :)  ....The bow that shoots the lighter arrow fastest will do so with heavy arrows also. I know that's something folks have heard that such and such a bow "shoots heavy arrows better", fact is they all do.....O.L.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
The only real differene I see is the cut of the riser. When I pick up a recurve, I have to subconciously adjust to the left. After shooting one for several weeks then switching back to the longbow, I have to adjust back to the right.
All things considered, I think it best to shoot one or the other, not both. i don't think either is harder to shoot, it's just whatever you're most comfortable with.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »
Gee Biggie, I've never noticed that. The arrows all shoot where they are pointed...O.L.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »
Here's my 2 cents.Most important is that the bow is properly tuned with the correct brace height, nock position , arrow, and point weight.I have shot both recurves and longbows,both pretty decent{decent enough to take deer}.I now only shoot hybrid longbows.Why because I've noticed I shoot longbows a little  better. I feel more confident with a longbow.They seem easier for me to shoot.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
yeah OL I'm sure they do...but I don't point them so the paradox shows. Shooting instinctively demands a subconcious hand adjustment.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline hockeyref

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
I can pick up and shoot most any recurve, but there have been longbows that I never got comfortable with... it's all in the grip for me....

Now if I never picked up a recurve again I suppose I would eventually get comfortable with the straight handles.....
Steve Uhall

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2007, 05:40:00 PM »
too add to that....I've found that supposedly identical longbows shoot different as well...
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

Offline Hank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2007, 11:04:00 PM »
If the older style longbows are so inferior, why has Dave Wallace won the IBO Worlds 2 years in a row with a bow that is very similar to a Hill with no carbon and a dacron string? His grip is just like a Hill.

The last IFAA World Field in AUS, a new world record was set in the Feild Round with a 15 year old Hill style longbow!

I think it is interesting that the elevated rests started showing up in archery about the same time as the curvy grips did.

It is obvious very little is understood about the straight risered/straight gripped longbow. That style of grip, when used properly, really negates the need for mass weight.

The limbs on a deep cored longbow may not be the fastest out there, but it is really harder to pull or torque them off track. In hunting situations where conditions are not perfect, it may get the arrow to it's mark, where a more sensitive bow would not.

There are advantages to both recurves and longbows, but to really understand and grasp the advantages of a real longbow, you need to ask someone who is really into it and don't listen to someone who is trying to re-define what a longbow is.

Look at the compound guys shooting 300 rounds with 60X, their grips are more like a Hill than the recurve grips are. Must be something to that low wrist, straight grip.
Remember, if you walk a mile in someone's shoes, you will be a mile away and have their shoes.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2007, 11:36:00 PM »
I personally shoot better with a recurve than a longbow. I also know folks who shoot longbows better than recurves. But If I had to make a generality about the two, I'd have to agree with what jdupre said about Olympic shooters. If longbows were more forgiving, you'd see FITA shooters using them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©