3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thoughts on hunter Orange  (Read 596 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Thoughts on hunter Orange
« on: November 13, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
With our gun season closing in on us in my state, and Orange being required, what are your thoughts on how much that effects the ability to get the job done at bow hunting range?

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thoughts on hunter Orange
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
I have killed plenty of deer while wearing it.
I love Bow Hunting

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
It does not have any negative effect on deer.  It does advertise your hunting/scouting efforts and strategy to everybody in the woods...
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
No problems with deer seeing unless its shiny, like the plastic vests.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
I have notice no differance in how the deer act. I wouldn't think of being on my stand in gun season without it. I killed two does on our opening day of the doe only gun hunt, both under 16 steps, they never knew I was there.  With the understanding that every year there are accidents I will continue being law abiding and safe as I can.

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
Never bothered me.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
I prefer red/black plaids in soft fleece. I also made up some arrows for this gun season..crown dipped in blaze orange with AMG flo orange feathers.

Blaze Orange clothing not sure I'd wear it, even the camo blaze. Just seems to be too bright..
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
Great looking shafts Joe Skipp! normally i skip out on gun season, but this yr im gonna stand my ground and try to get it done the way i enjoy, Trad..
Being a ground hunter, is what prompted this post.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
Scent, movement and sound are all deer seem to key on.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
I shot the biggest buck of my life wearing it and have killed deer in the past with it on as well.  I like either fleece or wool in blaze orange, because I like that it is quiet and believe that it absorbs the reflective light better, although it may not matter.  Movement is the key to being seen or not, so where the orange and just be careful of your movement.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
I ALWAYS wear orange if I'm hunting during rifle season, Whether I'm bowhunting or not.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
Some states don't have a choice on the color Joe. I like those arrows though!

I got by with orange and Carhartt brown for many years on the ground. I usually wear a fleece vest. Cuts down on the movement you get from a hat and your arms and bow are in front of it. I add a knit cap while walking.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
Gotta wear it wear I normally hunt, whether it's rifle season or  not.  If you want to feel REALLY goofy, try wearing a ghillie suit with an orange vest and hat. It just doesn't seem right.   :biglaugh:

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
lol
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
We wear it to the mail box here during gun season!!

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
Wensel said it best in "Come November".  And, similarly, I wear it when I have to, and can live with it, but I'd rather not.
Silence is golden.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 07:13:00 AM »
Here in KY we have multiple, brief firearms seasons interspersed throughout our 135+ day bow season. It is the law to wear blaze orange (at least a vest). I notice no difference in the deer's ability to find me or not.

Personally I don't like to wear the orange because it clashes with my bowhunter uniform, but I do it.

Offline Elmer Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 07:41:00 AM »
On several driven hunts here in Germany there were three incidents when roe deer aproached me at a distance of about 10 to 15 yards. I could see the nose working to get some scent of me.

In one case it turned around me and at a distance of about 40 yards it turned broadside and I could place a shot, with a rifle of course because bowhunting is illegal in Germany.

In another case I stood eye to eye with a yearling roe deer staring at me but when I lifted the gun to aim and fire it moved like a rocket but I could place a lethal shot with my 9.3x62 rifle.

In another case when hunting on red deer/stag deer in Brandenburg we were placed on very low stands to avoid fired bullets flying hundreds of meters and killing or injuring people a bull red deer with cow and calf approached. After shooting the calf the cow and the bull turned around my stand at a distance of about ten yards without detecting me. Unfortunately, when just aiming at the cow the calf lifted her head for a last time and when I aimed at her for dispatching which was unneccessary at least, her mother was able to escape.

Every member of the deer family can't see the blaze orange color. A few years ago a read an article in a German hunting magazine. Blaze orange is in a spectral range which cannot be detected by deer.

On the other hand the best you can do to let them survive and not let them join your family via a frying pan is to wear blue jeans or anything that is blue. This works for the deer eye like blaze orange for the human eye.

At rural roads more and more reflectors are mounted. In the past they were red or orange but now they are blue.
Elmer Keith

"To the housewife a piece of meat wrapped neatly in plastic has no more emotional effect than a bunch of carrots. But let someone say he is going hunting and her heart bleeds with sympathy for the game. " Fred Bear

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »
My daughter tells me it's "not my color", but it is required by law in my state, so the question is moot here.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Elmer Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Swamp Yankee:
My daughter tells me it's "not my color", but it is required by law in my state, so the question is moot here.
When hunting on private land here in Germany it is more and more common to use not even a hat band of blaze orange color. When hunting on public land under the supervision of the forestry service it's obligatory and a law to wear the orange hat band or a blaze orange cap in addition to a blaze orange vest or jacket.
Elmer Keith

"To the housewife a piece of meat wrapped neatly in plastic has no more emotional effect than a bunch of carrots. But let someone say he is going hunting and her heart bleeds with sympathy for the game. " Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©