3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best 6 days EVER!  (Read 148 times)

Offline wissler

• Trad Bowhunter
Best 6 days EVER!
« on: November 14, 2012, 12:19:00 AM »
Well, I just came off a 6 day lottery hunt at our club-Ojibwa Bowhunters. A chance to win "week" long slots bowhunting. The property that borders us still had standing corn. There were several scrapes along the corns edge and rubs in the woods.  
Wed afternoon- saw 2 skunks, 2 coyotes and tons of squirrels
Thurs afternoon- Saw a buck running the corn edge 60+ yds from my treestand and lots of squirrels
Friday morning, I had a MONSTER come in behind me. 3" past his ears and thick tines. He was standing broadside @ 35-40yds contemplating jumping a small ditch. I took a shot I wouldn't normally take and he jumped my string, or just jumped. Just clipped his chest. Got down an hour later and checked for blood. There was white hair on the ground 10 feet away and my arrow was stuck in the ground with the nock pointing directly at my stand. DANG! Found some blood on the shaft and a little flesh. Searched for blood and found some drips. Backed out and went home for breakfast. Came back 4 hours later. Went out with a buddy from the club and as we walked into the woods, there was a nice 8 pt standing under my stand. We stare in disbelief as he walks away slowly.
We go to the area I shot the other deer and don't find a drip for another 60yds. Then about every 20 feet, a drip for a few hundred yards into the corn. Then nothing. Based on what we saw, this stud is still walkin. Then run to Gander and buy some buck pee. Get out and spray it in the 6 scrapes all along the corns edge.
Hunt my stand the afternoon and see a nice 8pt running the corns edge-60+yds. Back and forth he runs, freshing up the scapes I can see.
Sunday morning I hunt the stand and see a nice buck about 100yds down the corns edge. After an early lunch I decide to sit on the ground 15 yds from the corn. See nothing
Sunday 11AM, on the ground again. 65 degrees, cloudy and misting. I turn around to see a little 6pt under my stand 20yds away. DANG! Turn around again and there's a doe staring me down @ 20yds. minutes go by, she bolts and the big 8 bursts out of the dogwoods behind her. WOW! Turn around again and the buck I shot at on Friday walks out of the corn 60yds down the lane, walking away from me.
2 minutes go by and the little 6 steps out @ 10 yds. Took out my camera and took a little video(I'll post when I upload to photobucket)
It starts pouring rain and I go in with 45 min left.
Grab "a" beer at the clubhouse and leave after 1 hour. While driving down our driveway in the pouring rain, a deer comes running right at my little Jetta. I turn the wheel and slide into a tree. CRASH The entire corner of my car is toast! pushed the fender into the wheel.
Monday morning, Temps drop to 24 overnight. I'm waiting for a towtruck and a big 8pt busts out of the woods running down the middle of the road(got video)  
Hunt the afternoon and see NADA.
Amazing hunt. The bucks were really going nuts this weekend
By the way, every time I saw a buck, he was traveling with the wind at his back. Every time! Temps the first few days were 40-50
Best hunt of my life. I'm 42 and have been bowhunting since 12.

Offline Dogboy900

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best 6 days EVER!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 02:31:00 AM »
Sounds cool. Just goes to show you don't have to put one on the ground to have a great hunt. Looking forward to the video  :)

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »
Sounds like quite a hunt. I hope the deer in the driveway is alright. You didn't notice if it was laughing at you? Can't wait to see the video.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »
Bucks often travel with the wind at their backs here. Eyes out front, nose to the rear and the ears wherever needed.
It's not easy out there...
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline wissler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
Sounds like a fun week, Mark. Thanks for taking us along. Glad you weren't hurt in the crash.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©