3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I need terminolgy help....for my WTB classified  (Read 134 times)

Offline VAFarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
I need terminolgy help....for my WTB classified
« on: November 14, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
Been awhile since I've been on, but the folks here are always helpful.  Only been away because life is too darn busy, and when given the chance, my "Bow time" is hopefully spent with one in my hand!

Anyway.  Here is my dilemna.

I stand hunt.  Have a Supermag 48 (42#at28) that is great, but lately after shooting it, it seems to make my forearm/elbow hurt.  More than a bear grizzly at 55#, or a Montana at 60#.   I LOVE the short recurve, and it does its duty on stand, but during practice sessions, it is killing me.  I am pretty confident it is the "far forward" angle of the grip. Where most of the pressure is on the webbing between my pointer and thumb, not distributed as evenly across the lower palm like the other bows.

Is the supermag 48 a "high wrist" grip?   If so, then do I need to be looking for a "medium" or "low" grip?

Finally, any suggestions on what to be looking for....my budget is 300 bucks or less, new or used.  But my requirement is no longer than 56 AMO, and 56 is pushing it.  If I need to go any longer, then I can just use the grizzly or the longbow,ya know.
Any particular bows that I should be asking for...that short AMO, 50# at 28, with a more "straight up-and-down" grip?

Thanks you guys, and God's mercies and blessing to you all.

Farmer

Offline wvtradbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I need terminolgy help....for my WTB classified
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
I had the same problem,shot my BW longbow until my elbow healed up along with a cortisone shot,problem solved,I don't know if any "recurve type" grip will help you out,I'd be looking for a shorter longbow,I know you can get a 56" long bow or a BW PSR type bow,the older style recurve maybe 1950s style.Bighorn used to make a recurve like that, maybe "little Bighorn" you may be able find something like that in that price range..
"I strive for mediocrity and sometimes achieve it." a close friend

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
I'd go with the Grizzly-a little practice from the stand and you'll be fine.

Offline VAFarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
thanks for the thoughts guys.

I didnt think they made longbows that short.....maybe I need to look around more.

Grizzly is a last resort.   If I clear the bar on a couple of these locations, the grizzly is just a touch too long.   May have to trim up around the stands some, but I hate to loose cover.

God bless,

Farmer

Offline L. Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
If and that is a big IF you can find a BlackMountain recurve jump on it!! I was looking for the Sheepeater model but was able to trade for a 3 piece Shaman and what a shooter it is (not to mention a beauty of a bow)!! Strung length is 49&1/2"s and I love the grip on it. New the basic model in the onepiece Sheepeater is not that much more than your budget. They also provide great service as I had a question about the bow and the owner was very quick to respond, an absolute plus in my book!I also have a short longbow that measures 50" tip to tip that shoots lights out. Lost creek was the builder on it, but I think his regular short longbows are 54 and 56"s in length. Best of luck with your search!
Traditional Bowhunting: Cunning and stealth, not gadgets and gizmos!

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
56" Big Jim Thunderchild would work nicely.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
I draw 31", and found a 58" Big Jim Thunderchild was very comfortable to shoot.  Jim said a 56" would work, too, if I could handle the added pinch.  I don't own a TC, but they seem a great short-bow option.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
Kodiac Magnum, it has a medium grip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©