3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ?? Elk Arrows ??  (Read 1228 times)

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
?? Elk Arrows ??
« on: January 18, 2007, 08:08:00 AM »
I have a few questions.
1.)  What is the minimum arrow weight needed to hunt elk?
2.)  How do you achieve heavy weights for arrows other than the obvious broadhead selection.
3.)  What is your arrow setup for taking elk-sized game.

Thanks again.
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ?? Elk Arrows ??
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 08:11:00 AM »
What is your draw weight and length, and what type of arrows are you using?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »
This is actually for a friend.  He is shooting 50# @25".  He would like to shoot wood: can make as necessary.  Don't want to go with Aluminum or Carbon.  Natural is better.  Thanks.

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
Heavier is better,....momentum equals penetration!  There is always a debate here and elsewhere about elk weight bow and such, 50# will get the job done, but a bit more there is better too.  Adding weight to wood arrows is done by soaking them, fully imersed, in Watco or other sealant.  It's not going to add a ton, but I don't know any other way.  Switching to four fletching increases arrow weight as well, and changes the FOC which in turn makes a heavier broadhead mandatory for great arrow flight.... all in all, MY opinion is GREAT arrow flight (tune it every way you can find until it really and truely is flying like a dart) and a RAZOR sharp broadhead out of a 50# ow will get the job done.  Good luck.
Semper Fi
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline greenhed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »
500grn+ and you should be ok.  I echo what Ninja said.  Try ash or birch, they are heavy and would be fairly easy to get the desired weight.
"Do justly, love Mercy, walk Humbly"

Offline greenhed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
I forgot to add my arrow setup.  28" Doug Fir, 3 high shield fletches, (colors blue and orange, in honor of the Boise State FB team, sorry OK. fans :-).  I seal them with raptor arrow sealant- or whatever they call it.  It does a good job but a little pricey per arrow.
I also use a 125 grn magnus or eclipse broadhead.  They come out between 550-575grns.
"Do justly, love Mercy, walk Humbly"

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
My arrow this year is a 600+ grain Axis with a 200 grain Big Snuffer on the end...can't wait to see how it works!

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 09:54:00 AM »
Good on ya.  Those setups sound like some meat slayers.  Thanks for the info.  I will let you know the results.

Offline Sneakypete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
Heaviest arrow possible, no matter speed, with good FOC weighting. Heavy 2-blade head. Closest possible shot, full broadside. 50# is doable, but minimal, so take no chances. There are many parts to the success formula in addition to arrow weight, but that is certainly the place to start. Thanks for asking. Good luck to your friend.

Offline mobiltoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
I used a 525 gr cedar with 125gr two blade magnus this past year and at 20 yards went up to the fletching on a broadside shot cow elk.  The bow is 50# at my draw.  In retrospect next year I will go a little heavier with both bow and arrow but my set up will get the job done.  Good luck

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »
I use a wood arrow(cedar, sitka spruce or douglas fir)that weighs about 650 total. Of that total, 120 grs. for the two bladed zwickey or magnus. Four fletched high-profile shield style fletching. The air is thinner up there and yes it makes a difference, especially if I have a bad release. My bows are from 60 to 70 lbs. with a 30 inch draw. I have shot about 15 elk with this set-up. It works good. Two were hit in the shoulder and the arrow still got in deep enough to kill. I use the same set-up for deer. Then I don't have to change anything. Gary

Offline Kindred Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
600-650 out of a 60# bow.  I use the 100 grain brass insert in a carbon arrow as well as a 200 or 250 grain broadhead.  The Heaviest arrow possible and still shoot comfortably would be my recommendation.
Aim Small, Miss Small

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©