3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: torn rotators  (Read 207 times)

Offline primitivealltheway

• Trad Bowhunter
torn rotators
« on: November 14, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »
yep that was plural ,both are ripped , doc wants to go in with camera and 3 small holes ,put 4 staples and get rid of the bone spurs,im all the way down to 36# ,going to hunt one more time and sale my bow and by 2-3 cheap ones and real light poundage after surgery ,which will be after the first of the year ,one shoulder at a time.
so how bad is the surgery ..heard nightmares about it.
"nothing like being in the woods with a stick and string"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: torn rotators
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »
I have had both sides done the surgery is not bad at all and not a lot of recovery pain. Key is the PT afterwards, or the surgery is a waste of time. 3x a week for 5 weeks as I recall after which you can continue on your own. It is all about stretching to recover range of motion plus some strength building. Go to a sports orthopedic doc.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
I'm scheduled the end of January for a rotator cuff tear and a cyst in my right shoulder. Surgeon said same day surgery but I'll be in a sling for 8 weeks. Then the rehab starts....

The surgeon was adament about making sure I didn't rush anything especially trying to shoot too heavy a bow. The risk of tearing the repair. He's using Kevlar to repair the torn rotator.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
if they can do arthroscopic surgery, the recovery seems a lot quicker. I had the full surgery in April and just made it to bow season in mid October. I practiced with a 25 lb bow, and was religious about the physical therapy. If they have repair a tear, as I required, it doubles the recovery time. Good luck, but it is definitely worth it.

Offline Al Natural

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
Partial tear of the RC, dislocated bicep tendon and bone spurs. Surgery scheduled for Dec. 18.  I have still made it out 3 times with a 43# Dwyer.  Not my normal weight but the best I can at this point.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
Recovery is quicker with arthroscopic...but my surgeon years back, commented that he does all the repair work artho, but if he confirms a torn rotator, he lays you open to go in and do the job right...he added that it takes 20-30 surgeries artho to get the hang of it and he refused to screw up that many people to "learn".

I got cut, laid wide open, on  Aug 27th and was shooting my hunting weight bow by the 3rd week in Oct... that was some years ago when I was a bit younger...  :)   It wasn't a fun rehab, but I had a goal and met it! Good luck!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
A good friend had the surgery last year. Was religious about the PT and made a 100% recovery. Probably stronger than ever. Good luck.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline findbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
I had my arthroscopic surgery in February 3 day later I was in rehab followed all rehab instructions. Was released fully in middle of June. Do all your at home exercise and you will do just fine.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
My problem was a torn labrum/pitted rotator cuffs, but I've had two arthroscopies on the right and one on the left.  I'd have another in a heartbeat if I needed it. The doc will probably tell you to use it, don't baby it during rehab and if so, it's good advice.  Less scar tissue and the quicker you'll get your full range of motion back.  If you're lucky you'll get about 3 days worth of oxycontin and you'll understand why they call it "hillbilly heroin". Absolutely the best drug ever invented by man and you won't care if your shoulder falls off!  Get the nerve block in your neck and you can be awake and watch the whole thing.  Surgeons love it when their patients give procedural advice, LOL. The anaesthesia makes you sort of "chatty".
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Gregg S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
I've had both shoulders done a few years apart. I was off from work for 12 weeks. I was cleared for the lifting that my job requires at that point but I DEFINITELY did not have either my strength or range of motion back at that time. It took a full year to get back to normal. I did all the therapy religiously every day for the first six months. After that I did stretching and strength exercises during the course of the day whenever I had a chance to. DO NOT RUSH IT. I have a few friends that had it done and were in a hurry to get their strength back and they ended up retearing it. In one shoulder I had two tears. In the other I had a tear and a detached tendon that was reattached. Also bone spurs in both shoulders. It seemed to me that the stretching had the best results for me. The strength part I worked on more after about 8 months. Both shoulders are good now.

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
Just had my left shoulder done 6 weeks ago. Full thickness tear of supraspinitus. Doc had pics of surgery that he showed me. Also did labrum repair and dealt with some arthritis at the same time. Sling came off today. Almost no post surgery pain, lucky me.
Range of motion stretches for the next 6 weeks and then physio for strength building after that.
Follow advivce of doc and PT religiously. It takes months to recover so you don't want a relapse.

Good luck

JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
I do this rehab on people.  As everyone has said, arthroscopic is a quicker recovery.  Follow the protocol with your PT and you will do fine!  pm me if you have any questions!

Manolito
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline mbugland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
I know exactly what you're putting yourself up against.  I am at 9wks post op right now, shot my bow for the first time Monday.  I did step back down to my 55@28 rather than my 65@28.... started the morning with the first dozen only drawing 27, if that. By the third dozen I was back to my 29.5 mark on my check arrows. Honestly at the end of 6 dozen arrows I wasn't any sorer than I would have been after shooting before surgery. I had Rotator, Labrum, debribment of the area... and some other crap I can't seem to retain for more than two seconds after the doc says it.
The biggest pieces of advice that I got:
1. Pain meds, take them religiously for the first two-three weeks. Don't wait to feel it, take them on the hours you are scheduled to.
2. Pain meds, take a little extra before PT. it will let you reach the full potential. After the first few weeks you are just breaking up scar tissue and that hurts.
.... oh and if you have the option for a "Nerve Block" do it, if for nothing more than the amusement of having a limb completely paralyzed for 24hours.
I made the mistake of taking a last minute opening for the surgery the week before Opening day, I think I am actually going to be comfortable enough to hit the woods after Thanksgiving. Can't wait.
Good Luck, the sooner you do it, the better off you are.
And Don't sell off the Bows for weaker ones. PT will give you plenty of different colored power bands to work your way back to the weight you want to be at.
Shootz!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©