3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fletching - rw, lw or straight?  (Read 339 times)

Offline Oldskool2

• Trad Bowhunter
fletching - rw, lw or straight?
« on: November 15, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
I don't understand what differences the different fletchings make. Can someone explain? I have had people tell me it doesn't matter but that just doen't make sense...  I shoot right handed off a rest... Dont know if that matters but I was guessing a th shooter would want lw so it would rotate away from the shelf and lessen the chance of an impact...
"There's nowhere you can be that isn't where your meant to be"
John Lennon

Online katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: fletching - rw, lw or straight?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
Feathers are either left or right wing from nature. In my opinion it does not matter if you use either as long as you use all the same on the arrow. I played with both a few years back and saw no difference on impact point at my modest ranges with right or left wing. If the arrow is tuned properly feather clearance is not an issue for me with either.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
The only time it matters is if you shoot off your hand ( to stop from getting cut) and not the shelf or rest. The arrow does not start to rotate until after it has left the bow and a well tuned set up will have very little fletch contact. So its what ever torques your cookie. Im right handed and shoot right wing. Some 30 odd years ago when i first started and had no one to ask, i thought , im right handed so right wing would be for me and now that all my fletching tools are right wing i never have tried left and have had no reason to.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
wtpops has it.

If you don't shoot off your knuckles go either rw or lw.  straight can work for field points, but often doesn't provide enough steerage for broadheads.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
Don't use straight with Bheads.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 07:31:00 PM »
I am right handed, so I shoot left wing. I was told that many years ago and never changed.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Fanto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
Left or right same same.

unless you use single bevel broadheads, then youll need to match the fletch to the broadhead rotation.

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
Anything but straight.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
Remember, the arrow can't spin until it's clear of the string. Even then, high speed  photography shows that it doesn't spin until it's a ways past the riser. YouTube has a bunch of videos showing this.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Oldskool2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
Great information...  Thanks guys...
John Lennon

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
why are a couple of you saying not to use straight fletching?  I'm pretty new to making my own arrows but I picked up a used jo jan multi fletcher set up to fletch straight.  The person I picked it up from is very knowledgeable and said he'd never seen much different in helical and straight fletching.  I've been fletching XX78 and XX75's with three 5" shield cuts and I just flectched some Carbon Express and GT 55/75's.  All of these fly straight with same point of impact as the field points with Bear Razorheads.  I also did some 1916's and with 100gr Muzzy 4 blades it's the same thing, they fly like darts.  Just wasn't sure if it's personal experience or if there is another reason for being against the straight fletching.  I've thought about getting some helical clamps but since this is working for me I figured I'd stick with it.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
Left or right helical twist spins the arrow more revolutions per turn and stabilizes the shaft better which helps counteract wind planning from the bh.  I suppose you can get by with shooting broadheads with straight fletching and IMO center shot and close to center shot bows have less dramatic effect on as much need for arrow stabilization since the shaft goes thru less parodox.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 12:35:00 AM »
makes sense, I'll probably go ahead and invest in the extra clamps but I'll finish out this season with what I have and then just change over as I have to refletch arrows so I'm not wasting feathers.  I have 12dz fletched that way.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline Oldskool2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by cahaba:
Left or right helical twist spins the arrow more revolutions per turn and stabilizes the shaft better which helps counteract wind planning from the bh.  I suppose you can get by with shooting broadheads with straight fletching and IMO center shot and close to center shot bows have less dramatic effect on as much need for arrow stabilization since the shaft goes thru less parodox.
That makes sense, right now I shoot straight with my BH and they fly great. my bow is cut past center...
John Lennon

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 01:52:00 AM »
What they are saying have your feather going to the right or left on the arrow not strait down the shaft.  I think.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Online katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 06:40:00 AM »
12 dz arrows made up?, man you shoot a lot of critters.
If you can adjust the jig just offset the side of the feather twist so the feather is not straight down the shaft.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
Straight offset works just as good as a light helical. In some cases it makes a little less noise too.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »
Straight will work but in a hunting shot where you are leaning out around that tree or bent over to get under the limb or twisted around at the waist and you don't get that perfect release, right or left helical will give you better stabilization and better flight in those hunting shots. JMO. I need as much help as i can get.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
Go ahead and use straight fletch and broadheads if you like....but sooner or later the train is going to derail.

Not sure why some folks just love flirting with disaster.....especially when there are no advantages.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Go ahead and use straight fletch and broadheads if you like....but sooner or later the train is going to derail.

Not sure why some folks just love flirting with disaster.....especially when there are no advantages.
X2 sooner or later you will get that arrow that will take a right or left turn, its not good.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©