3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Duck Hunting?? How about it,,Tred barta did it tonight on his show,,AWSOME  (Read 645 times)

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ok,, I don't have a single shotgun in my house nor do I like borrowing others WMD's,, So I was thinking of duck hunting with my bow,,FLU,FLu's for sure,,String tracker to find'em if I miss or hit one.

Only thing is? Do I use a BH or a judo?,,I think if it were geese I'd use a BH but with ducks,, I don't know,, I got great places with close flying shots and plenty of cover to hide in,,the setup is really perfect to try,,What do ya think,,and yes some will say go buy a gun,,but I'm not after shooting every duck that comes by,,just into the hunting for the ducks and the sweet shots that could arise from it,,
TGMM

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Do a search on Frank AK, he did some good threads on it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Jason, me and some buddies are going to do some goose hunting this fall.  I am going to take my bow and they are going to back me up with shotguns.  I am going to take flu flus tipped with broadheads.  I am looking forward to trying it.  I would try ducks but I think they fly to fast.  It would be fun to try and still hunt along a river for them.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
man sounds like a great time,,Got room for one more bow hunters,,Its not Like were gana hit anything,,LOL,,  :bigsmyl:
TGMM

Offline Stick'n'String

• Trad Bowhunter
Tred Barta knnocked down a greenhead after about 36 shots on his show. It also "happened" to be banded.  I also watched Fred Eichler shoot pheasants with his bow.  Knock yourself out but I would look into the regs. so you don't get hit with the big ticket!

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I was thinkin the same thing stick,,   ;)
TGMM

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
DO it legally and to the best of your ability.

Frank AK has had good success.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
I tried it this past season on an impoundment and well it was costly, shots taken 14 , ducks hit 0, arrows lost 4.. laughs by fellow duck hunters priceless at least I tried...
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm looking forward to it myself this winter hunting geese with Flu-Flu's I've got a huge hayfield they fly over right in my back pasture...i haven't a clue whether I'll hit anything....but it sure will be fun flinging arrow in the air trying.....no ringing in your ears either....Go for it Bro!!!! It should be a hoot!!!

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
I have waterefowl over the years woth a gun but this year I am taking my recurve.   If your decoy setup is right and you are a good caller you might get a "Skillet" shot.  That is where the bird lands in front of you and it is guarented to make it to the frying skillet.
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
Ducks have a nice thick layer of feathers and are fast, flu flus slow down inside thirty yards. Forget judos unless you're really able to do head shots on a flying duck.
I would think even with a BH you would struggle to bring one down with a standard flu flu. flu flus with 6x4" straight, half width feathers may do it, they are a little faster, plus heavy arrows and small diameter BHs. My friends shoot them that way over here but you still need to get them close. With a slow arrow the bird 'rolls' with the hit but a fast arrow hits like it was standing still.Of course in marshland you may never see the missed arrows again but that's another story.
  :bigsmyl:  
shoot straight
chrisg

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thats why I was going to use my string tracker,,I might have a better time looking for those arrows,,LOL,, I'm going to look into regs,,Frank AK has had success hunting for them..If you do a search he has a few threads on it,,J
TGMM

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
My buddy shot a Goose with a arrow and watched it fly away into the sunset arrow in it.
I have hunted water fowl for at least 20yrs and I will stick to a shot gun,they are tough. I do understand your thinking and you will have a blast.
Now pheasants I would love to hunt, I am going to make a ariel launcher to practice with first.
Too many projects not enough time.
Terry
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Use broadheads with a scorpion behind them to prevent a pass thru and make it harder for them to fly with an arra in them....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
I'd use broadheads - a bird in the air is going to "give" a bit when you hit it w/ a blunt.  I forget where I saw it, but I gather some American Indians used to hunt them w/ bows on the water.  

They used longish arrows with some sort of a bulge affixed behind the broadhead.  Feel free to laugh at my ASCII art but it looked something like this...

>>>---------------*-->

Hehe.  The idea was to fire the thing parallel to the surface of the water and blast the duck amidships.  If the arrow dipped a bit, then the bulge was supposed to make the arrow skip on the surface and still have a chance at hitting the duck.

No clue how well they work or whether you could legally shoot ducks w/ them though.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Here's my biggest waterfowl to date, Tundra Swan, NC 1997 with my swan hunting pals, Cory Mattson and G.Monty Browning. Shot wooden arrows with Woodsmans and Snuffers. This hunt was the closet thing I witnessed to Agincourt!  :D  

Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline formerbutcher

• Trad Bowhunter
I say go for it ! I think if you wait until there just about ready to land they would be a pretty sationary target.

Let us know how you do.
It's a great day to be alive !!

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Try to get hold of the video/dvd "Spirit of the Bow" by Barry & Gene Wensel. There is a segment on duck hunting that will be most rewarding.   :D  

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thanks Fellas,,Nice pic Joe

Right now it looks like I've hooked up with Tim and we'll be doing a late season hunt in the cut cornfeilds,,we'll have to see..Gotta check the regs quick,,
TGMM

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
OK,,bows and arrows are leagal in Michigan,but I can'r find any where in the book where it describes shooting by air or ground/water top,,will let ya know what I find,
TGMM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©