3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Base Layer Choices  (Read 195 times)

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
Base Layer Choices
« on: November 16, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
I am interested in getting some merino wool base layers. I have gotten input from friends about First Lite and Kryptek gear. Any thoughts or experiences on these or other brands I should consider?

Offline Tree Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Base Layer Choices
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 07:55:00 AM »
I have Minus 33 and Ulfrotte. I much prefer the Minus 33. Both are soft an warm. The M33 isn't as bulky and more snag proof. Costs less too.

Two weeks ago. Pre dawn temps of under 20*. I wore a mid weight M33 1/4 zip, a heavy weight M33 and my Gray Wolf jacket. M33 bottoms, milsurp wool pants, and GW bibs. Sat in my tree from 6am to noon (34*) with zero thoughts of cold.

Both GW garments were comformax lined (no extra insulation)
Not all Squirrels are nuts....

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »
I have Ulfrotte I use when its cold and SmartWool I use in warmer temps. Both are great.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
I finally bit the bullet on merino base layers this year.  I went with Minus 33, and couldn't be happier.  I only wish that I had done it long ago!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
We wear 400gr Ulfrotte' tops and bottoms Whip but we are going to buy a set of Minus 33 170gr weight too. I think for early season and possibly for late, late, bone cold season to wear under our Ulfrotte'. We have hunted several mornings in the single digits and hunted 3-4 hrs and not been uncomfortable, but if it was any colder or we wanted to stay longer than 3 hours we would need the Minus 33 under the Ulfrotte' for extra warmth and another layer I would think ??? I think the Minus 33 is 100% wool too, where the Ulfrotte' is around 80% I think ? I do love the inside surface of the Ulfrotte' with the soft terry loop finish and flat seams. It is the "Cat's Pajamas", so to speak !!!  :coffee:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Online HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »
Check out this Sponsor,great product !!!!
 http://shop.kuiu.com/storefront.aspx
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
I just got into Merino this year as well.....love this stuff and can't believe I didnt get into it earlier!  After gathering as much info as I could,  I too went with the Minus33.  I got the mid weight top and bottom.  Absolute comfort and the perfect layering garment.  It really does what they claim in regards to keeping you warm when its cold out,  but not letting you overheat when the temps climb back up with the sun and all.  Also,  if you are putting this stuff on at the truck or whatever right before you hike to your blind/stand ....and then taking it off again  before you drive home,  you really dont need to wash it!  Hang it in the breeze on a line to air it out and thats about it.  Maybe if you were to sweat through it,  it would be a different story.
  Im going to now purchase the heavey weight as well for when it gets REALLY COLD  :scared:

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
I just bought some mid weight Smartwool merino wool from sierra trading post.  It is awesome.  Don't get anything less than the mid weight for this time of year.  I originally ordered the light weight.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
i use smartwool and kuiu.  i like them both.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
I have been impressed with Indera mills products. U.S. made and priced for a working man.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
For price conscious buying, watch for Cor4Element on camofire.com.

I bought some 190 gram shirts and am very satisfied for the price.  It rarely gets in the teens here so two if them and a windbreaker vest or coat and I'm good to go.

This week it was 39 and I was good with one and a windblocker jacket.

I also have a little kuiu and that's really good stuff
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
Thanks guys. All good input.

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 12:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by awbowman:
For price conscious buying, watch for Cor4Element on camofire.com.

I bought some 190 gram shirts and am very satisfied for the price.  It rarely gets in the teens here so two if them and a windbreaker vest or coat and I'm good to go.

This week it was 39 and I was good with one and a windblocker jacket.

I also have a little kuiu and that's really good stuff
I like my merino in camo because it quite often becomes my outer layer. I've tried, kuiu, firstlite, sitka, and my all time favorite is Core4Element. I like the zip t's so when I'm humping up the hills and I can zip down and let some heat out.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©