3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: anybody ever get frustraded  (Read 501 times)

Offline schnitz

• Trad Bowhunter
anybody ever get frustraded
« on: August 15, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
just came in from shooting last night i was hitting a skoal can almost every shot from about 18 yards tonight not even close maybe once out of 20 shot any body else shoot like this some times or do i just put to much presure on my self thanks

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: anybody ever get frustraded
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »
When that happens to me..I am usually rushing my shot. Correct practice = consistent shooting(I have yet to master that). Check your form.

Also, Rick from Striker bows told me something once...

Don't think about the last shot, just focus on making this one.   :thumbsup:  

And I'll add...If you aren't having fun come back to it tomorrow...That is what it is all about!!

JMHO,
Charlie

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
Oh yeah, I have started shooting at blank targets when I get inconsistent. I got that tip on several archery sites. Just focus on the shot itself and think about form with no target at about 3 yards.  You can even close your eyes if the target is dead in front of you and totally relax.  It really does get me back into better form, which is why I am inconsistent in the first place.  Hang in there.
-Charlie

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »
yeppers. Then i just step back cool off a bit, and try again. Concentrating on what i did right the last time i made a good shot. Seems to work for me.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »
we all go thru bouts of this.  Traditional archery , I believe, more than other forms is a major head game.  When your head is on straight and working, you can be on. on. on.      But if your head is into some other topic, you may as well just stop and deal with the other topic.

ChuckC

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 12:05:00 AM »
That shooting with your eye closed thing is a VERY good way to practice your form....you pay no attention to where your arrows are going....just consentrate on anchor and release....It works well for all types of bows, and is actually very good training for comp rifle shooting too....."Use the force Luke" it's in there bro.....

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 12:10:00 AM »
Good advice from buckeye hunter. Also, if you are spraying shots from 18-20 yards, move up to 8-10 yds. After you hit from there a while move back. This will build some confidence and confidence will lead to improved accuracy as much as anything.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline T-Mac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 12:23:00 AM »
Buckeye is very correct, but so is Chuckc. I know when i begin to really spray shots if i go back to the mental part of my shot it seems to help everything. Focus on the spot and quit thinking about the shot and my form and everything seems to come back to me right away. I just get so focused that my mind takes over and it knows what needs to be done. But also I don't get down and out I love to shoot and know that I'll be back tomorrow to do it again and hopefully better.
Slow down and enjoy life.  It's not only the scenery you
miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where
you are going and why.
-   Eddie Cantor

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 02:00:00 AM »
Your bow is worn out. You need a new one.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline Gote Rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 07:55:00 AM »
If I start shooting bad I will stop and lay my bow down for a day or two and when I start back shooting I am better than ever. Sometimes I have to take a break to get better.
I may give out but I will never give up.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 08:12:00 AM »
First are you a target shooter or a hunter. If you're a target shooter I can understand your frustration. if you are a hunter I've always maintained the worst thing a person can do is to stand at one ditance and try and pound numerous arrows into a tiny spot.

Get some dixie cups or ping pong balls or anything else (I use 4" square foam blocks) and scatter them about the yard. Get up on the deck and shoot ONE arrow at each ball/cup. When you retrieve your arrows pick up the targets and fling them in another direction without regard to distance and go back up and shoot ONE arrow at each object again. Mix it up some short some long, some left some right some straight down some straight out. THAT'S good hunting practice.
or...go stumping

Instinctive archery does not lend itself well to shooting groups of arrow into a tiny spot.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 08:32:00 AM »
I agree. I think that instinctively we know that the next arrow will hit the first arrow and if I aim at four different places on a block target (top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right) the next arrow is more likely to zip into the center. I like to shoot groups, and since I learned to refletch, I find that I instinctively don't worry so much about ruffling some feathers now.

Offline Grizz 53

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 08:46:00 AM »
I'm with gote rider, if your not right mentally there's no point in pushing the envelope. Just leads to more frustration. Back off and get your mind right.... the next time you shoot you will more than likely be right on.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 09:04:00 AM »
A lot of the time the problem is about 8 inches wide.  Thats the space between your ears.  Sounds like your head wasn't in it. I think most of us have those days too.  I have also found that on those days it is better to quit shooting and do something else like make arrows than to keep trying to force it.  All forcing it does is make you start second guessing your ability with usually little or no improvement with your results.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 09:19:00 AM »
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger.  Happens to most of us.  The reason most compund shooters are very good is because the main thing they have to worry about is holding the correct pin on the target. Shooting traditional is a little different.  We have to worry about holding steady, back tension, picking a spot and smooth release etc.  The thing I have found helpful is to film yourself if you can.  Put the video camera on a tripod or a table and fillm your shots. When filming myself  I will say things like this is shot 1 and it was perfect.  Or I will  say this is shot 2 and it was bad.  Then review the video and you will see the small but significant differences between shots that caused one shot to be bad or perfect.  Things like I didn't hold long enough, my bow hand moved, my string hand was creepy forward etc.  It is hard to become a robot where you do everything perfect every time and that is one reason we do good some days and bad some days.  Other reasons is we got other thoughts in our mind other things we are worrying about casusing loss of concentration.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
Heck yeah - happens all the time (especially when I'm tired, stressed and failing to concentrate).  I think I need a new bow.  :-D

Offline John D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
NEVER!
Good Luck & Good Hunting!
John
COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS
PBS Associate Member

Offline Richard in OK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
Learning (muscle and mental) takes place during those breaks between shooting sessions. Years ago my daughter took riding lessons (horses). She would have a not very good lesson one week, go home frustrated, then the next week she could do everything that she had trouble with during the previous lesson. It's mental learning, when you don't really think you're learning, but you are. Those breaks are valuable.

Richard

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
Absolutely.. some days not too often I just wanna unstring the darn thing and throw it like a javelin at the target! Maybe that'll hit the mark! Sometimes if I see this happening, I am aware enough to know to slow down, and go through the shot sequence mindfully. I always start practice at 10 yards, form first for 20 twenty arrows, then I go for practicing at further distances and accuracy. Seriously, some days you get the bear. And some days the bear gets you. If your form is correct. Then it is probably mental... stress, distraction, whatever.. inability to focus correctly. The mental aspect is tougher than the physical, if you are lacking confidence and uncertainy of hitting the target, then you are already setting yourself up to miss. Sometimes it's best to walk away and clear your head for a day or two. Then come back fresh. 10 good arrows is a whole lot better than 100 bad ones.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »
Dont sweat it, happens to every one, even wheelie bow shooters, and rifle shooters.

End on a good note (decent hit)if possible but don't sit there and keep going to a point you are just totally flustered.

It'll get better

Jason
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©