3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Osage take-down ala James Duff  (Read 160 times)

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
Osage take-down ala James Duff
« on: November 16, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
Some years ago, I saw a screw-together take-down system attributed to James Duff. It was illustrated in volume one (I think) of the Traditional Bowyer's Bible with a comment that the threads would have to stop in just the right place to line up the limbs.

I thought that was a fallacy because the roots of the limbs were round and fit in the round ferules.

The two ferules could be screwed together snugly before the limbs were glued in. Then the limbs could be glued into the ferrules in line with each other. After the glued had set, lining up the limbs would be simply a matter of screwing the threads together snugly--where they stopped, the limbs would be in line.

Well, I tried it over the last few days with a couple of billets from that Osage I cut a couple months ago. Here are photos of some of the steps.

It's a light bow. Pull is about 37#. It weighs about 28 ounces--about 10 more than a bow without the steel handle fittings. It is 66" long along the string. It's a nice shooter.

Hope you  enjoyed the sequence.

Jim Davis
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage take-down ala James Duff
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
If you make this setup, I think it is important to leave at least the center part of the back ring intact so it is not cut where it enters the ferrule.

"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
That is neat. A very fine job you have done.
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
Nicely done Jim.....  :thumbsup:
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »
:clapper:    :clapper:

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Way to go Jim. Nice looking set-up.

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©