3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for Kuiu wearers...  (Read 481 times)

Offline 4BTradArchery

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for Kuiu wearers...
« on: November 16, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
I am going to start buying Kuiu gear over the next month in preparation for my upcoming hunts.  I want to see what you guys feel is the better choice between the Vias pattern and Verde pattern.  

I mainly (75%) hunt whitetails, hogs, and turkeys in the north central part of Texas.  Its a combination of treestands,tripods, and ground blinds and I also spot and stalk hogs in the spring and summer. The terrain is mostly live oaks, mesquites, and no cedars.

I have an DIY backpack elk  hunt in Co. during the archery season coming up as well as a spring bear hunt in 2013.  I will eventually start expanding into whitetails in the Midwest (KS, IA in 2014), caribou and moose (2014/2015), and Aus buff, Africa, etc. in the future.

I consider the Kuiu an investment for my future hunts and dont mind spending the money for the quality.  I just want to make sure I pick the pattern that will be suited for the different terrains.

I know that there are a lot of guys that use Kuiu hunting in the different terrains and I would like to hear your opinions and thoughts.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity - Darryl Royal

Dance with the one that brung ya - Darryl Royal

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for Kuiu wearers...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
I hunt hogs every year in Texas.  I would go with the verde it blends in well with all the surroundings you just described.  I'm very impressed with the verde camo this fall in the whitetail woods.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
I just purchased a few items from them myself.  In my honest opinion,  the VIAS is the most versatile....and the pattern I chose with little hesitation.  It has similar characterists and profile shapes/shade contrasts as other top notch camo (PREDATOR, A.S.A.T!)  If animals see the way they've been saying they do for years now,  the VIAS seems like better medicine.  Go with the VIAS and sleep easy I say   :thumbsup:

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
here i my thoughts from experience of owning and hunting in 4 different states in past 2 years.

Pro
The attack pants are perfect, they fuzz pretty quick ( southern briars) but made right. can walk all day in them in 110 degrees to 30 degrees.

Wool is light and dry quick

Open Camo i am a big fan, they nailed it.

Vest is perfect, light, warm and fits tight.

great t-hirts

I wear the truckers logo hat every other day.

Cutting edge of outer wear fabric

Con

Arizona bush ripped 180 wool with no problem. Do not wear Merino wool as an outer layer.

Which brings me to my second beef.. They have NO pocket shirt in their line. NONE!!  remember this is a company built on Ultra Light MOUNTAIN hunting.  

HEY Jason......how about a shirt???   broaden your marketing to us redneck stalkers.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline 4BTradArchery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
joebuck- Thanks for the information.  So you think the Vias pattern is the most versatile overall?  Would you wear it hunting turkeys in the South?  (By the way, I was in Oxford for the Texas vs Ole Miss game, I should have tried to have dinner or lunch with you when I was there)

DirtyBird- I like the verde pattern, but afraid it might suffer from the blobbing affect.

LMNOS- Thanks!

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
Bingo Jace!  the "blobbing affect"  you speak of....thats what you don't want!  The VIAS is more of a broken-up pattern and IMHO way less apt to come across in anythings eye sight as a blob.   Gotta be great for the thickets,  swamps,  timber and sticks......where ever you end up I'd say!  What they SHOULD do at KUIU,  is incorporate color/hue variations within the VIAS!  That way,  you'd have your green-ish VIAS for spring turkey and such.   White VIAS for the snow,  predator hunting....see you where I'm going with it!?

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
Hey 4B  thanks for that scull dragging!  How in the hell ya'll didnt give Johnny Football a scholarship makes me think Mack needs a brain transplant.

It works on Rio's..... now for SouthernEasterns....?????.....different bird  :)

Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline 4BTradArchery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
Joebuck- Rios is all I got, so totaaly sold on the Vias pattern.

Totally shocked me about that game.  I thought with a young team that it would be a lot closer, especially at Ole Miss.  Ole Johnny Footballl? Well, lets just say that the Texas staff recruited and signed a kid that makes Vince Young look slow and Colt McCoy inaccurate.  They signed a kid from deep east Texas that needs about 2 years before he can be turned loose.  I think Texas passed on JF because they wanted him as more of a Wes Welker type receiver and he was stuck on playing QB.

LMNOS- i see where you are going and I like it!

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
I have both and don't notice any blob bing affect.  Just look at the kuiu blog and see what it looks like in the mountains.  

Either way I think it is a good choice.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
I am hopefully going to be able to puchase some KUIU for when I move out to Missoula, looking into the VIAS pattern for big game, and possibly Verde (If I can talk my wife into letting me buy it) for turkeys
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
Does anyone know anything about the super down filled parka?  Looking for something that can be used as a good outer layer for COLD Midwestern treestand sits.

Offline gnihsifnamk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
Both patterns are great, get some of both. The animals don't care if you match

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 02:14:00 AM »
Verde should be good for most purposes, but outstanding for spring turkey hunting. For everything other than turkey, I like the Vias better. I would also prefer a green Vias over the Verde pattern for turkey. With the Vias, I have had whitetail deer standing 10 feet from me under my stand staring right at me and still not be able to find anything dangerous. They finally just lose their interest and mill around below me like I'm not there. To me, some other camo patterns look better, but it's the animals' perception that counts, not mine. No other camo pattern has worked better in avoiding detection from animals I am hunting (except turkeys) than Vias, and I have used all of the best camo made.

If I were you, I would buy the Vias camo, and when going after turkeys in the spring, put on a different top that has colors that more closely match the typically green surroundings. Remember, unlike ungulates, turkeys have excellent color vision. A couple of years ago, I set up in a patch of green bushes while wearing an ASAT leafy suit -- one of the best forms of camouflage ever made. When the turkeys came within 70 yards of me, they immediately saw me, even though I was not moving at all, and would not come any closer. They saw the brown and tan colors of the ASAT in a field of green bushes. I set up a pop-up blind in the same spot and sat there the next day. The green camo ground blind did not spook the turkeys at all, and I got a shot when they walked by. The Vias would have worked better than the ASAT, but Verde or some other green-colored camo would have been the best.

I love the Kuiu Attack Pants and wear the solid colors almost every day to work and everywhere else. For much of my hunting, I prefer the Guide Pants because they are made of soft shell material that rarely snags or picks up plant materials. The Guide Pants are also warmer, which can be good or bad, but I love them and will definitely get another pair.

I have been encouraging Jason from the start to design a light-weight collared shirt made from synthetic material that has button down flap pockets and can be layered as part of the Kuiu clothing system. I have not yet seen the perfect shirt for that can be worn alone for hot weather or layered with other clothing as the temperatures drop -- sometimes becoming very low. I bet Jason could create a great shirt of that type.

You can't go wrong with Kuiu. Their new DWR-treated down jackets look nice, but I'm going to wait to hear the reviews before I buy. I'm highly invested in PrimaLoft jackets, including the Kuiu Spindrift, so I want to have more information before I decide to buy down again for the hunting conditions I typically encounter.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 09:10:00 AM »
I had several pieces of the Vias camo, and I sold 100% of it last summer. I'm not a high-contrast camo fan for close range encounters. As soon as I saw Verde, I was pretty well convinced that KUIU had just introduced the pattern which would ultimately out-sell Vias. Time will tell whether or not that happens. I now own several items in Verde, and I'm confident that nothing better exists in close-range camo today.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
I had several pieces of the Vias camo, and I sold 100% of it last summer. I'm not a high-contrast camo fan for close range encounters. As soon as I saw Verde, I was pretty well convinced that KUIU had just introduced the pattern which would ultimately out-sell Vias. Time will tell whether or not that happens. I now own several items in Verde, and I'm confident that nothing better exists in close-range camo today.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
Verde looks very good, especially when turkey hunting (as I said) or close up hunting. It also does very well at longer distances. As I said before, the Vias does not look as effective to my human eyes as some other patterns, such as the Verde, but my experience with actual animals looking at me while wearing Vias tells me that it, like ASAT and some of the Predator camos, is actually more effective in fooling animals than it is at fooling people, while some of the other patterns have the opposite effect. The perfect hunting camo would let all the other humans see me clearly while none of the prey animals could recognize me as the predator I am. Vias doesn't make me obvious to other humans, but it sure has kept me from being recognized by the animals I am hunting (even when I have been closely examined by deer from just 10 feet away). That said, Verde is a great pattern that should do the job very well, and do it better in some conditions when hunting some animals.

Kevin, did you sell the Vias because animals were spooking when looking at you while standing/sitting still, or did you simply prefer the way the Verde looked to you? I'm interested to hear other folks' experiences as opposed to relying exclusively on my own. I know Curt Cabrera has described the same reaction by deer to Vias as what I stated here. Also, can you tell us about your experience with the reaction of animals when you have worn Verde and how that compares? I know you are a very experienced and savvy hunter, and I greatly value your observations and opinions.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
Is this Verde camo good for the northern woods? I am in the market for some new camo for the early season archery here in Pa.
>>>------John------>

Offline IdahoCurt

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
I just bought the verde 185 &230 zip t and it blends in perfect out west with the pine timber, grass and sage floor.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
Jace,  I've taken a bunch of pix over the years since I started using KUIU. My first hunts were in proto-types that Jason sent me to test out.

I recieved the Vias proto-type gear in late December and put it to use the next day on a late season doe here in NY...she looked right thru me just seconds before I shot her.
Then in early jan. I took the gear to TX and shot two hogs and a nice buck wearing the proto's. These were ulta skittish deer that know where the stands are. he looked right up at me, but he also never acted like he saw a thing...I killed him a couple minutes later at 12yds.

Since then I've killed a bunch of deer and a few more hogs wearing Vias.

This fall I got some Verde and also think it's great!  Not quite as sharply contrasting, slightly toned down...but still much better contrast than most other patterns.  I've used it all fall and had several close encounters with deer that had no clue I was around. One 6pt even looked right up at me from the very base of my tree after sniffing my treestep...looked thru me...never spooked...just lost interest and walked away.

No "blobbing effect" whatsoever in my opinion. Here's some in-the-field pix of Verde from this fall...
•  
•  
•  
•  
•  
•  
•  
•  
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter