3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: So Close... 6th Sense?  (Read 271 times)

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
So Close... 6th Sense?
« on: November 16, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
Hello,

I had a great morning and a close encounter with a monster today in the stand, last day till the guns start tomorrow.

Anyway...I have been seeing more mature bucks this year than the last few put together and chalk it up to more Oklahoma hunters passing on smaller deer.   :)  

I had a monster come up right behind me at about 5-6 yards, too close to really manuver and I ended up without a chance for a shot. As he was coming aroung the tree I spun around slowly and he bolted a few yards into some cover and I had to watch him walk away.

Funny thing was the I don't know what scared him. I didn't make a sound, he didn't look up and see me, and the wind was in my favor. Is this the sixth sense at work?

Lets hear you stories

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: So Close... 6th Sense?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
did you have your foil hat on? they can feel your brain waves,get a foil hat.
 I forgot mine this morning, Had a doe come in from behind , wind perfect...3 yds to my left under a small beech with leaves. I very slowly turn for her to clear the beech....she looks right at me through the leaves and I'm a solid 20' up in a large Oak . She stomps and hops to the shooting lane at 13 yds broadside , but she's alert , wired , and I'm busted. No shot. She just knew .She won that round. That's why when it all comes together there is nothing like it !  Always where the foil hat

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
I was hid out in some brush earlier this year (the same place I killed a doe later), watching a heavily used trail. It was a cool evening without a breath of wind. I watched 4 deer heading my way on the trail; 2 does, followed by a small buck, with a bruiser taking up the rear. The does and the small buck passed by on the trail, 15 yards from my hiding spot, and never gave any indication of knowing i was in the same state. The big buck stopped on the trail about 60 yards away, turned around, and walked away. He didn't like something, although he never indicated that he saw or smelled me; just calmly walked away after following the other deer for a good way. I would call that a 6th sense in action.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
I have yet to get a good shoot at a big buck.  I've had several close encounters, but just as you described.  Two years ago hunting in MAAP I had a P & Y buck walking toward what would have been a perfect 20 yard broadside.  He stopped and just stood there for what seemed and eternity.  Then he just turned around and went back where he came from... Not alarmed, just didn't like something. I think he heard my heart pounding!     :banghead:
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
He saw you move out of the corner of his eye.  Really.  Deer have close to 360 vision, they don't always pay attention which is why we get shots at them.  Big bucks didn't get that way by not paying attention, he saw you and took off.  I have had deer spook at white fletches leaning against a tree, they didn't know what it was but they knew it wasn't right, so they took off.

Offline Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
There really on the move here in Oklahoma, rut is intense. I too had a big one at less than 10 yards yesterday morning but he was running a doe and wouln't stop for nothing, not even a yell "Stop". But life is good when there in the rut!

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
Here's what you need to invest in   :laughing:  

http://www.hecsllc.com/research.html
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 06:33:00 AM »
"I spun around slowly"...
It doesn't take much. Maybe next time?
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 07:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by jsweka:
Here's what you need to invest in    :laughing:  

http://www.hecsllc.com/research.html  
"There's one born every minute"...PT Barnum
What will they think of next???!!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
yep , the above hecsllc.com and a foil hat and you will be virtually invisible .

Offline Dendy Cromer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »
yep. sometimes they just know.... i try to stay calm and don't look directly at them (deer) until i'm ready to draw. it seems to have helped me. it's weird.
Southern Zone Rep./Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia

Prov: 3, 5-6

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
Stop making fun of my hat!
Tom

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
to reference a lame 90's sitcom... he must have been using Oonagi

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
Had it happen TWICE today! Had a big doe this morning do a 180 just before she got into range. Then proceed to make a complete circle around me at 35-40 yards then go back where she came from.

This evening, just an hour ago I had a really good buck coming in on a string. Stopped at about 40 yards and looked directly at me. Turn around and walk off.....

About all ya can do is laugh!
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »
I had a 160" class buck throw his head up and spot me about 16' up the tree earlier this week. He was about 4 yds from the base of my tree walking straight to me.

Two hrs earlier that same morning one a lot bigger than him took a 90 on his next step rather than straight like he was walking into the opening at 10yds and walked away.

Had another about 130" later that morning turn and follow the trail of the one that saw me..no shot on any of them. It was the 13th of Nov.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
I hadn't been busted in a treestand......that I know of in 4 or 5 yrs. It has happened 4 times this season!?!? I haven't over hunted any of the stands and I've been busted in 3 of my five stands. So I am definitely going with the 6th sense. I may move to the ground this week with my Apache Pyramid blind. If I get nailed, well, I am getting used to it! LOL!!!
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
Think its a sixth sense. I had that happen to me at the beginning of the season with an old doe. Good luck next time. Hope you get the big guy.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
So if I buy one set of those stealthscreen camo cloths, does that mean the force will be with me ?     :laughing:
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 03:50:00 AM »
Ok, I am with Bill, maybe he did see my movement in his peripheral. It was great to be that close anyway.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 05:26:00 AM »
He might of seen you from way out there and came in just to check you out and was watching you while acting like he was not watching you. Hey it could happen. Who knows the just seem to know .Sounds like a cool time any way.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©