3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mental Challenges When Hunting  (Read 199 times)

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
Mental Challenges When Hunting
« on: November 16, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
Whenever I'm out in the woods there is a mental war going on...

Up here in Canada I'm already sitting on stand for hours in temperatures that are well below freezing and I'm hunting BIG wood lots (not farm land).

When you're seeing deer there is no experience more engrossing and intense. I feel like I am truly in touch with the instincts that we have buried under the weight of modern civilization. It is an addiction. :-)

However, the nature of hunting here means spots can suddenly dry up or you can go for protracted periods of time when you just don't see anything bigger than a chickadee. During these periods the intense pain of the cold (no exaggeration there) becomes oppressive, you doubt your setups and those early morning wake ups / grumbling from the wife take their tole on enjoyment of the field.

I find myself envious of my southern neighbours with their warmer climate and (my perception) plentiful whitetail and hog population.... Or those out west chasing elk, bear and moose through the mountains.

I know the reality is probably different (more pressure, snakes, big mountains to climb etc...) and I am lucky in many ways (ample land, good friend who lets me hunt his property with him etc...).

What are the challenges that you fight to stay positive in the chase?
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mental Challenges When Hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
It's the perfect occasion to meditate  :)    :campfire:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
Hunting in -10 to -35 c, is mental and mentally challenging but it builds character and mental strength.  Hunting in the cold, in the mountains or I'm guessing in the south likely has its own set of challenges and mental rewards.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
If you're suffering intense pain while in the stand you are not properly dressed. I hunt the interior of BC and can stay on stand at -20 for 3 hours before I begin to think of leaving.

As for challenges cold is certainly one but you dress for it. I deal with it be thinking of options and ideas for staying warm.
And not seeing deer is the other. Then it's time to think of moving to another stand.
But I'm usually so happy to be able to get out
 that these challenges are not a big deal.

JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
3 hours is what I'm usually good for as well ... Things start to deteriorate after that. I have nerve / circulation issues in my toes and some other areas after military service so it is a problem.

As for the deer situation it seems fairly typical for our large Ontario woodlands. The population is fairly thin after a couple of hard winters several years ago. I'm seeing deer but when you talk to guys who see 20 - 40 a day hunting farmland it's a bit of a different scenario.

What's it like in the big woods out west?
HHA Half Breed 52@28

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 11:27:00 PM »
Looks like a canadian thread!  :readit:  People would think the forest is as dead as a desert during winter or below -20/-30 but it's amazing how alive it still is.To be able to enjoy during extreme cold on stand I ware the warmest clothing possible.We have a good herd in therme of quantity but lack of mature bucks.We do have deer sightings but rarely a buck.Pressure's on spikes and forkhorns... sad  :(
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 01:53:00 AM »
I'm going to ruin your Canadian thread!    :)    

Funny you posted this because just today I was wishing I lived in the mountains or up north when I could hunt truly wild places.   Most of the places I hunt here in Oklahoma are close to roads and railroad tracks, and homes are never far away.   Just today I was hunting a spot in a rock quarry.  There was heavy equipment making all kinds of noise just 75 yards from my stand.  The deer are used to it, but it just made me long for a place where you can't hear anything but nature.  

And as for the weather, the colder it is, the more excited I am.  It adds challenge and adventure to the hunt.  I dream of bow hunting in the snow, something I've never done before.  Now, I'm sure if I had to put up with brutally cold weather all the time, it would probably get old.  

And as for seeing tons of deer... Not where I hunt.  I know there are many places in the Midwest and South where deer populations are high, but I think seeing tons of deer is the exception, not the norm, for most of us.

Anyway, the old adage is true ... The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence!  Every time I start feeling negative about my hunting opportunities I try to remind myself how blessed I am to get to go at all.  Thankfulness is powerful!
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 01:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jock Whisky:
If you're suffering intense pain while in the stand you are not properly dressed. I hunt the interior of BC and can stay on stand at -20 for 3 hours before I begin to think of leaving.

JW
Ok, as I said in my previous post, it doesn't get that cold here in Oklahoma, but I have to know, what exactly do you wear to stay warm in -20!????
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
You nailed it T-salt the grass is always greener... As to fight cold I wear insulated wool and for the feet I choose the insulation rating for inactive...

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
Grass is always greener... That is the truth of the matter! Lol

I lived and worked in the UK for 11 years. No public land, no legal bow hunting. Now that sucked.

There are many things that make my province a great place to hunt: over the counter moose tags in some areas, plentiful amounts of public land, recently opened elk season, limited pressure from other bow hunters.....

When all is said and down I'd love to travel to different destinations and sample what makes them, exciting and challenging in their own regard..... I can guarantee those destinations would all offer a slightly warmer climate though. Lol :-)
HHA Half Breed 52@28

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
I think my mental war is my biggest challenge! I always forget something ,so make notes on cell phone as a reminder. I appreciate being out and about but am always second guessing my hunting spot ,the gear I brought, the clothes I've worn . When seeing animals all is forgiven . Yes it is all mental . The cold and deep snow restricts outside activities for me , but it makes the animals move so where to draw the line. Again it is just mental . My wife can see when things are getting to me and then I hear ( suck it up) and get out there!  So I guess a mental boot is all I need ,cause when I'm in the bush even without animals I am Happy. Maxx
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
At least you're hunting.  I've been out two half days all season.  That's a mental challenge.    :thumbsup:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member