3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mike Mittin have you topped last years yet?  (Read 723 times)

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Mike Mittin have you topped last years yet?
« on: November 17, 2012, 07:14:00 AM »
Last year as most know Mike had taken two really nice bucks on Nov.4th and another the next day he named "Shakes" and "Twister" and these were "BIG" bucks ..Now I have been watching and watching and haven't seen my hero Mike post his Big one yet for this season and he did send me a P.M. once telling me he had one He was trying to connect on from his tree cam...Maybe these Old bucks are wising up to Mike and playing hard to get? Mike we need to know what's happening and if you have your eye on a Dandy buck?  :campfire:

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mike Mittin have you topped last years yet?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 08:13:00 AM »
:campfire:
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 08:24:00 AM »
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
I am sure Mike is hard at it, I would not expect any updates from him here on a weekend in November.

They have had a lot of EHD in his area and many of the bucks he was after are dead from disease    :(

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
I am sure he is hard at it.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 11:06:00 AM »
This would be a good weekend for an update...

Gun season here in Illinois, and bowhunting is closed for the weekend.
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »
Well I have seen quite a few bucks and did pass up this guy at 15 yards.

He is 4 1/2 years old and just feel he will be a special buck in the future.

I had high hopes at the start of the bow season. A buck I saw last year was still around the property I hunt, and his antlers were even larger now that he was 5 ½ years old. In August, I hung 14 stands to give me more options during various wind direction and morning versus afternoon hunting.
    Set-camera photos of him showed he was still in the area and appeared very healthy, but 20 days into the season I still had not laid eyes on him. This was not unusual for a buck of this age class, as they can be reclusive and nocturnal until the rut.

After coming out of a stand during the late morning hunt on October 20th, I glassed the lake shore and noticed a log that seemed to have drifted into a weed-bed out of place. I got in my boat and rowed up to what was now apparently a dead deer. As I floated closer, I could see it was a buck, and when I peered down through the clear water, I could see the common base 2nd and 3rd tines and long beams which confirmed this was the buck I had been waiting for. I dragged him up onto land and began to search for a cause of death. He had been in the water for only three days or so. The only legal hunting season that was open was archery, and there were no broadhead wounds. I could not find any holes in the body what so ever.  Pushing on the chest and abdomen revealed no gas venting hole. His tongue was not discolored or swollen, and there were no sores on his pallet or lips.

I called the game warden and his verdict was the same as mine, cause of death unknown. We did suspect that the buck could have died from EHD or blue tongue disease, but it was the only deer found in the area and we heard of no other reported deaths in the county during August or September. The disease often causes deer to go to water to cool off, and it could have drowned once leaving the steep bank in a state of delirium. It may have drowned prior to further advanced disease symptoms like a swollen tongue and restricted airway. We also caught several poachers in the immediate area shining deer with a spotlight and an uncased 0.22 caliber rifle on the dash. But without a complete autopsy, we were not able to establish a firm reason why this great buck had died.

My season continues without the presence of the huge 10-pointer. I later measured his rack at 187 inches typical 5x5. Even though this dream is lost, there are more bucks to chase and greater adventures to be had.

So after the gun season I will be back to try for this 5 1/2 year old. I had him at 60 yards locked down with a doe last week, but there is no telling where he is now.  All the more fun!  Mike

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
Too bad that such a beautiful buck is gone that way.
Good luck for your next exits.Thanks for posting.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline USMC0311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
That a shame that you didnt get to shoot that buck. Did the DOW let you keep him, and mother nature has her way of doing things.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
Yes our state alows for having the antlers with a salvage tag. I will keep it, along with the many sheds, as a tribute to the land and habitat inwhich these deer live.

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
Mike at least you know that he is gone. Nothing worse than them just disappearing on you and you have no idea what happened.

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
HOLY COW, those are some monsters!!!

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
Good luck in your pursuit of the big one.

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
Wow!  Any chance you'd like to adopt a 48 year old son/brother/hunting partner...lol.     :dunno:

Good luck!
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
Mike,
 Thanks for responding to the post..I knew you would come through with an update for us...Glad you were the one to recover this one instead of someone else but do you think maybe he was tangled up with another and just drowned and the other one able to disconnect and survive? If that's the case He just may of got fighting with that other bruiser you have pics of...I guess we will never know in this life but it does make your mind wonder what If! Sure glad you got a before pic of him on your game camera...That just gives his life closer that it was him and you can pursue a different one....Keep us imformed as to what developes....I look at "Shakes & Twisters" pics  every once in a while that I keep in my "One with the Wilderness" book I got from you and I am still amazed at the size of those two...God Bless and hope you get a Dandy!
                                Keefers <><

Offline Gary Greene

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
I will carry your bow and backpack for you. I don't eat much. LOL  Good luck the rest of the season.  :D

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
Mike,  Looks like you have lots to keep you busy.  I'm actually reading your book (for the 3rd. time now, I think) right now hoping to have another wilderness elk hunting adventure here in Colorado next year.  I had to give my shoulder a break this year and hunt with a muzzleloader.  Did you get to chase elk this Sept?

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
Doug, Yes I did hunt elk in Montana. It was dry and the bulls did not bugle much. But I did manage to get within 15 yards of a nice 6x6 before he pegged me at draw. We had a three minute stare-down before he took off. Ha!

Keefer- If you to want read the full story of Twister and Tree Shaker, please check out the new book "Real World Whitetail Icons ... In Their Own Words" compiled by Don Higgins. There are many of our favorite trad authors in there as well including Gene , Barry, and Roger Rothhaar.  

Its a long season, but I've lost 6 evening hunts to coyotes chasing deer. My buddy saw and filmed 2 coyotes chase a doe down into belly deep water and kept off shore by running back and fort for over 45 minutes. Temp was 32 degrees. The doe finally escaped by swimming 600 yards across the lake.  Mike

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
Wow I'm really curious about what happened with that buck  :confused:    :dunno:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
Awesome deer!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©