3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mike Mittin have you topped last years yet?  (Read 722 times)

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mike Mittin have you topped last years yet?
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
What a great deer. Thanks for the pictures and story!

Online HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
Mike
any CWD in the area?

sounds more typ of EHD, lots of EHD here in eastern Co. has even taken some domestic animals
There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to my mashed potatoes!

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
I've GOTTA move.....
David M. Conroy

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
Amazing animals.  Maybe the yotes chased the big boy into the pond and then kept him there by circling.  Hard to know, nature is not very forgiving.  Looking forward to the stories at the end of the season.  Good luck!!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
We have not had any CWD in the area and the only confirmed EHD was in the next county. It just seems strange to have a single isolated case. I know other areas and states have been hit very hard this year, so we should consider our selves blessed. Mike

Online HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
Mike
agreed a single EHD case doesnt make sense-- but in the wild world a lot of things dont add up.
The EHD here has taken a toll on the most mature deer

Unless your game department is testing for CWD there probably wont be any confirmed cases, you simply can not tell looking at the condition of a deer if its CWD.

3rd possibility is predators-- an there it would be coyotes, could be the buck took to the water to avoid them after being chased, being exhausted he drown, far fetched I know, but i have seen a full grown bull elk that ran into a huge snow drift to get rid of coyotes, the coyotes finally won

regardless of what it was a true loss, I hate seeing a mature animal die like that sounds weird but I would rather see a buck live an outsmart me then die from an unknown, nature is cruel
There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to my mashed potatoes!

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »
Yes, I know what you mean... we just want the game we hunt to live and die with respect. In this case I got the chance to live with him and him with me. I might say that I lost the dreams I had of him, but his memory will live on.

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »
Mike,
 That bucks spirit lives within your soul and as Uncle Barry told his encounter with the "100 year old man" you also have a related story with the unknown story of a Buck you were pursueing to harvest and got the chance to see cam photos and you were trying to catch his life on film..It was what we call a "God wink" and for you to be that person to notice what looked like a log floating and then decided to get a closer look...Well I think that this is one of those "God Winks"...We will never know why or what happened but with your career in trying to help find that cure for cancer some really nice blessings have come your way...I see a man that cares about others and sometimes a shower of gifts are givin to those He calls His...God Bless Mike and Thanks for Giving us a look in your respect for life....
                      Keefers <><

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
What a great animal. I feel blessed just getting to see that bucks photos. I love big mature whitetails. I hate that his death is unresolved. Good for you Mike for the positive out look you have and the cherished memories! Good Luck the rest of the season. Hope you connect one of the other mature bucks on your property!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
Well, I really did not expect all of these great comments.... but then again judging from the quality of the folks that visit this site, I'm really not surprised. So I will leave you with a few more pictures of the great buck I found floating in the lake.
This photo is one from summer 2012.

This one is from fall 2011 as a 4 1/2 year old. We never found his sheds, but it was a very early spring and the grass and bushes greened up quick.

I like this one hitting my mock scrape and licking branch started with Smokey Preorbital gland Lure. I hope the great buck was not too mad at me for starting it under an Osage Tree with all those thorns in his face.

Thanks ,   Mike

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
Great pics Mike! EHD has been hard on us here downstate. Many confirmed deaths in our county. We lost some great bucks in that 4-6 year old range. I am in fact seeing alot of great 2 1/2 year old bucks that hopefully will make it through the gun season. As it is I only control about 200 acres. Can't do much with them after they leave the property.

That buck is an all-time great deer. So sorry he met his fate that way. I would have preferred seeing you with your bow laying on top of him. You do a great job of filming and hunting my friend. I am amazed at the footage you get every year (and the bucks you pass as well as kill).
Mike Davenport

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
Mike your place looks nasty thick with all that honey suckle. Looks like it would be tough to walk in. Let alone hunt!

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
At least you have some closure.  The wondering where he went is tough.  Good luck.

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
Mike,I was looking at the picture of the Great buck you were hunting. I couldn't help but see the same thing I've seen on all 7 deer I've found dead from EHD this year. Look at the bucks picture and all the deer I have found and including your buck is they were all missing hair on the front legs at the first joint. Its a positive sign for EHD. Good luck with the rest of your season. Chad
May the spirit of archery always be with you,and keep you young at heart.  www.lostcreekbow-com.webs.com

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
Chad, Were all of your deer found in water? I assumed the hair had slipped from bacteria in the water. There were also signs of turtles feeding on him post mortem.  I will look into your observation since I have never heard of that symptom or how the virus causes it.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
If that is true, that buck in Mike's first post trail cam photo is toes up too.  So sad.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve O:
If that is true, that buck in Mike's first post trail cam photo is toes up too.  So sad.
I saw that too....  :(

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
Here is the latest photo of that first buck, the one I passed up. I don't see anything wrong with his knees, or hair.

Here is another one of him.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
Looks good there, no knee problems in October.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
Here is a close one of him.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©