3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Muddy Treestands and Climbing Sticks  (Read 359 times)

Offline Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Muddy Treestands and Climbing Sticks
« on: November 17, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
I've been looking, on the internet, at the Muddy Outdoor treestands and climbing sticks. I appreciate all opinions (positive or negative) from folks who have experience using the Muddy Outdoor products.

I also would appreciate an honest opinion/comparison from folks who have both Lone Wolf and Muddy Outdoor treestands and climbing sticks.

Thank you in advance...
"Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Muddy Treestands and Climbing Sticks
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
I bought a set of the MO climbing sticks this year and used them a couple times.  I have also used the LW and rapid rails for comparison.  I like the Muddies just fine, they seem a bit heavier than I was anticipating.

A buddy has some rapid rails and I really like them although they are bulky.  Nothing to catch stuff on with the RR like the MO and LW with the steps folding out like they do.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
Never tried any Muddy products but I use a Lone wolf assault stand with four of the sticks and I really like it. I routinely hang my stand in the dark often in a tree I had not previously picked out and it works great. I can be up the tree and hunting in less than twenty minutes with this setup.

Online Magilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
I have both sticks and stand and I like them. I can beset up almost as fast as using a climbing stand and just as quiet maybe if I am careful a little more quiet. The only con to Themis when you carry them both together they are a bit heavy compared to my lone wolf climber, but they both have their place.
Scott
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Treadway Black Forest 60”  46@28
Treadway Black Forest 60”  47@28

Online Magilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
I might add that the muddy stand is very comfortable and is adjustable so it works on those not so straight trees
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Treadway Black Forest 60”  46@28
Treadway Black Forest 60”  47@28

Offline n.c.swamp buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
I have both and like both.Give the edge to muddy stand for comfort and muddy sticks for being able to put both feet on one step.Think my lonewolf is a little lighter and easier to carry.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
I have a muddy stand, and it is very nice and comfortable and quiet to set up.  I don't have the sticks for I think they like others are little too pricey.

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
have never hunted  muddy stand, but have spent lot of time in a millennium this year, IMO would be hard to beat.
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
You might also look at the Chippewa Wedge Loc and their climbing sticks, I have them and they are EZ to hang, rock solid and the sticks and stand take the same hangers. Very quiet too ....
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
I really like my Chippewa Wedge Loc and climbing stick.Very well built and super stable and easy to hang. Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
I have the Muddy Sticks.  They are a little pricey but they are quick, easy and quiet to put up.  I really like the short length and the ability to place both feet at one level unlike the Lone Wolf and similar sticks.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
I just bought some Muddy sticks this week, but brought them back the next day without even putting them on a tree.

Very well made, and the design is good, but just too bulky for me. And, at 2.5 pounds they are the same weight as Lone Wolf sticks and only just over half as long. In other words I can get up much further with the LW steps for the same weight.

If/when I do get a set of sticks, pretty sure they'll be LW's.

If I was going to just set them and be able to leave them in the woods, they would be a great choice....but for backpacking in and out every time....I plan to just continue to use my woodpecker drill and bolts. Much easier to pack, lighter, and after the first time up drilling, you only have to drop them in the holes....quick and easy!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Shan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
I have the tree sticks and love them. I have no problem packing them in and out even on long pack-ins. My buddy and I hunt public land and often try to get as far as possible back in the woods. I just strap them on my backpack and don't seem to notice the weight.

As far as speed, they are super quick to put up! I can set my gear down at the base of a tree and be completely set up w bow in hand (and being as quiet as possible) in 10-15 minutes of deliberate work. The lock in cams are extremely reliable and again, very quick.

I wouldn't worry about the weight unless you are extremely sensitive to that sort of thing....
Semper Fidelis

Offline Brian K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
I recently purchased both the Muddy sticks and the Bloodsport tree stand. Hunting public land,  I needed something quiet,  light and packable.   I'm very happy with both.    Fast and quiet to setup and take down.    They are a little heavier than I wanted,  but I don't really notice it.

The one thing I would add would be a quick hang hook and a some way to take the sticks up the tree.   Im sure there are many smarter than me that could fabricate something easily.

The Bloodsport  is excellent for stability,  ease to hang and comfort.    

You won't go wrong with them.

BK
There's only 7 days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Offline Jake LaBauve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
I have used the LW sticks and LW alpha and with practice they are fine.  Biggest factor to making a hang on and sticks successful is a good carrying system.  Adding Molle Shoulder straps and waist belt made carrying it around so much easier.  I also add either a rope or webbing extension to the bottom of the sticks to gain a little extra length for almost no additional weight.  I don't use extensions on windy days except on the bottom stick due to necessary movement.  With my first stick I can get to 7-8ft very easily.

Offline mathews8pt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
Last year i used 4 muddy sticks with a gorilla scout HX(alum) stand.  It was a very light setup but the stand was too small to shoot a trad bow out of IMO.  I left 2 sticks and the stand on public land and it got stolen since i wasnt able to make it back to hunt like i wanted the next day.  This year i bought another set of stick(that sucked) and found a slightly used lone wolf stand.  I really like the stand compared to the gorilla, or the muddy hunter that my buddy has.  The seat isnt the greatest on the LW, but i stand 95% of the time anyhow so its a non issue for me.  

Dont have a complaint about the muddy sticks, they are very versatile and quiet to setup.
If your not having fun, your doing something wrong!
Morrison ILF  54@28

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
Brian K

Saw where you made a comment about taking the Muddy Sticks up the tree.  I hang the two I take up the tree on the belt of my safety harness, one on each side.  Slide the step on your belt by the folded in steps.  They stay put but are easily removed.

Greg

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
I use the LW sticks and Alpha treestand set up.  Actually sold off my LW climber two years ago to continue using the hang on.

Like mentioned, I hunt public land and need to pack in and out.  The LW sticks match up perfectly to the LW hang on stand and make it easy to pack in.  It's not too heavy (think around 22.5 lbs).  I can get up in a tree in about 15 minutes pacing myself.
>>>--------->

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
LW sticks are light but at the expense of two foot placement per step.

I frequently cross a muddy field and I like the rapid rails for slippery boots. Plus no sharp pointy things like the steps on the LW.  LW sticks are a good product and I still use the ones I own but for hanging stands they are not my favorite.

Offline Jim Rocole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
I own both. The Muddy stand is much more comfortable to me. THe LW stand easier to hang with the speed hook. The LW steps are superior to me. They are longer and attach the same as the Muddy sticks. THe two steps are nice but the LW are not a problem after you set the up a couple of times. 15-20 minute set up.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©