3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Muddy Treestands and Climbing Sticks  (Read 358 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Muddy Treestands and Climbing Sticks
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »
I have the LW Alpha hang-on. I like the looks of the Big Muddy for the same reason I'm attracted to the LW -- the ability to adjust for a bit of tree stem angle.  I really like the stand although the seat, while it is mostly quiet, will make a rubbing sound if you pivot on it without lifting the butt.

I have a variety of different climbing sticks and rails. I like the "rapid rails" and have used them for some time. I don't have LW rails but have wondered if I might like them.

I don't pack in stands on days I'm hunting. All my stands are placed well ahead of time on land I control or that my buddy controls.  I have a Summit climber that is very comfortable but I have only used it once or twice since I bought it several years ago.

Thanks for this thread -- I've been thinking to buy a Big Muddy and the LW sticks for a couple of seasons.s

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
I opted for the Leverage steps over the Muddy's because of the length.   I have used both the LW and the Leverage now and both have their advantages.  the button and webbing on the LW is whisper quiet compared to the Leverage snap hooks, however the snap hooks (sans button) allow for nice neat compact stacking and strapping to a stand, where as the LW with the button are a PIA to stack/strap.

post season I'm gonna see what I can do regarding modifying the snap hook connection.

the big draw for the Leverage is they are $30 cheaper!   :)  and I got free shipping!
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
Thank you for all the feedback…

I own Lone Wolf (LW) stand and climbing sticks and my experiences with LW is comparable to what others have said.

Prior to the season starting, I hang numerous fixed stands and use the LW climbing sticks to hang the stand, and to gain access to the stand during the hunting season. I mount the sticks on the tree in the morning darkness and my only complaint with LW sticks, are the noisy metal buckles hitting the aluminum stick tubes.

Hence, my reason for looking at the Muddy Outdoors (MO) stands and particularly the climbing sticks. The rope system looks like a better option in regards to having a quieter climbing system.  

Guru,
In regards to climbing higher with three LW 32” sticks verses four MO 20” sticks. In theory, you should be able to climb slightly higher with the four 20” sticks.

I’ll explain; the average knee height for men is about 21” and most men can step as high as their knee. Now hang in here, as this might get confusing. For this discussion, let us say you can raise your foot twenty inches.

If you hang the first stick with the first step twenty inches above grade and each stick about 20” apart, the four MO sticks will get to a height of approximately 160” or 13.3’ and the LW sticks would get you to a height of approximately 150” or 12.5’

Granted, the difference is marginal…

In regards to silencing the metal climbing sticks, yesterday I read another post about Stealth Outdoors, “Stealth Strips” for silencing climbing sticks, treestands and other metal objects…looks like a great idea.

Shoot Straight ------>
"Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
Hey Don, What I meant is that they both weighed #2.5.....the Muddy 20", LW 32".....so for the same weight for 4 sticks each(#10)....you will get higher with the 4 LW sticks.

Guess I should have explained better.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline wvtradbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
I have both the Muddy sticks and LW sticks,really like the Muddy because of the steps folding on each side,my only complaint is they don't "nest" as well as LW and takes  me a little more time when leaving because they don't fit together in a neat little bunch as well..
"I strive for mediocrity and sometimes achieve it." a close friend

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
I set up new every sit.  Exclusive LW sticks and stand for years. My make no noise. . . just use felt on buckles and tape/felt on sticks.  Zip tie the buckle end to the button. File the teeth to a round profile so they do not scrape the tree. I also carry the sticks separated on foam blocks that fit on the upright of my stand.  Very low profile and dead quiet. Second the good shoulder straps and hip belt.  Easy system.

Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©