3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heavy broadhead adapters  (Read 154 times)

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
Heavy broadhead adapters
« on: November 17, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
I've been searching, but does anyone make an adapter heavier the 125 gr?

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heavy broadhead adapters
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
vintage archery has them -they're up top
Mike

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Thanks bud..much appreciated   :thumbsup:

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
Vintage Archery broadhead adapters top out at 125 grain. Also, by no fault of Vintage, the adapters they have purchased for resale have been bending on impact with my arrows and those of several other people I know. I would look for another source for the adapters, although the Tuffhead broadheads are some of the very best broadheads ever made. I highly recommend the Tuffhead 225 and the Tuffhead 300. I'm not sure who is making the best broadhead adapters, but you might want to consider Abowyer. That's where I plan to buy some at this point.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline flyne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
U could glue a woody weight to the adaptor then ur broad head then u could get what ever weight u wanted
Cheers jim
If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.         (Fred Bear)

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
Thanks for more info fellas.

@Flyne thats a darn good idea.

Offline vintage archer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
The adapters that we (Vintage Archery or TuffHead) sell are the same adapters that are sold by major supply houses that advertise here on tradgang. I believe at present there is  one manufacture in the USA producing most of the adapters.

When designing your arrow set up it is important to identify the weak point in your arrow.the places to look are your
broad head ,adapter, or insert and the arrow it self. Of course if you are shooting wood you eliminate a few weak points except the arrow it self
Using a one piece adapter and insert eliminates one week point that can be identified with a adapter screwed into a insert.This type of adapter can be seen at  www.tuffhead.com

Adapters and the post of screw on broad heads can and do bend when heavy bone is encountered particularly with heavy arrows. For hunters going after big game such as buffalo ,moose ect choose there arrow setup carefully.

I know now that the adapters commonly used by most hunters are not  to be recommended for heavy bone animals. this has been proven by
Allen  and others.

Vintage Archery is in the process of building a Titanium adapter that is 11/32 in diameter and has a taper length equivialent to a 125 steel adapter and will weigh  75 grains . They are in production now. They are made out of grade 5 Titanium and have twice the tensile strength of steel. We will reccomend this adapter for all heavy boned game

For most game hunted in the USA the steel adapter will surface.
Dr.Ed Ashby has had a lot of experience using steel adapters and said he has had the same experience of bending adapters in the 75 grain an 100 grain adapter .He reports no bending in the 125 grain that he tested with. Neither he or I reccomend aluminum adapters of any size.

When hunting heavy bone animals one may choose a heavier bow ,maybe beef up their arrow weight ,add FOC all things that are prudent to do depending on the game being hunted .The same principal applies to choosing  the adapter,insert or broad head you use .
Joe Furlong

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
Joe thanks for all that info; it was a good read with some real insight.

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
Dave the woody weight + adapter idea as mentioned by Jim is one way to do it.  Its worked well for me in the past.  It'll get you up to about 400 grains or so depending on the head and the woody.  500 up front if you're using brass.  Here are some of mine from a few seasons back....

Offline flyne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 05:37:00 AM »
U could also grind a 5degre taper on a field points and eliminate one of the joins of using woody weights
Jim
If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.         (Fred Bear)

Offline Petrovic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
There is a person in Aus who makes brass adaptors. The 11/32 adaptor comes in at 155 grains.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©